1991 Full Width SAS 44/9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Full Width SAS 44/9

The SAS has been complete for some time now so it is time to complete a registry. It is a daily driver for now and it has seen trips to Badlands and is getting ready to go to www.woolysoffroad.com.

Didn’t turn out to bad…….
flex4.jpg

flex2.jpg

Spec:

Front end:

1978 F-150 HP D44
4.88 Gearing
Warn Hubs
Stock Brakes
Custom Track Bar Mount
Custom Coil Bucket Mounts
7* C-Wedges
Wild Horses 5.5inch Rock Crawler Coils
78 F-150 Coil Buckets and Shock Towers
Wild Horse Extreme Radius Arms (12” longer than stock arms)

Rear Axle:

1978 F-150 9"
4.88 Gearing
Spring over 4"block
Shocks: BDS

Extras:

Nick's Driveline Custom rear drive shaft
Custom front bumper W/Atlas Winch
5 Speed Swap
Rear Bumper with reciever hitch(not installed)
36" TSL Radials

Next on the List: (will take a while)

Install rear bumper
Rock lights
ARB lockers (front and rear)
Upgrade axle shafts
CTM ujoints
Diff cover
Strenghten 9"
Sliders
Remove roof from drivers door back...
Cage and soft top...
Hydro assist steering
Atlas transfer...

Some Pic

no-front.jpg

side-sas.jpg

coilbuckets3.jpg

final.jpg

almost-done.jpg

front-end-empty.jpg

me-and-tosh.jpg

burns-water-1.jpg

bro-and-me.jpg

100_2643.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good! I recently began flipping thru these full width SAS Explorer pages as I plan on building one in the spring...

looks good! I recently began flipping thru these full width SAS Explorer pages as I plan on building one in the spring...

Its is a new world being sas...I mean putting a lift kit on is one thing but building a truck to your ideas makes it so much better in the end.

I notice your Explorer has almost the same setup as mine except for the radius arms. It looks real similar to mine in fact. Looks real nice!

but I did notice in the 6th pic that the rear tire is a little farther back then mine. Did you end up moving it rearward? If so, how did you do the leaf spring setup?

Taking mine offroad, I seen a HUGE difference. I suggest that you get yourself locked front and rear as the next upgrade. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yo burns this thing looks like **** .... im just playin looks really good and BTW, ohe_boy ...the tire isnt mounted thats why it looks funny...

I notice your Explorer has almost the same setup as mine except for the radius arms. It looks real similar to mine in fact. Looks real nice!

but I did notice in the 6th pic that the rear tire is a little farther back then mine. Did you end up moving it rearward? If so, how did you do the leaf spring setup?

Taking mine offroad, I seen a HUGE difference. I suggest that you get yourself locked front and rear as the next upgrade. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Man it took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on in that 6th pic. what i did right when i got my tires was rolled them right nextto the truck. if i remember correctly that rear tire wouldnt stay where it needed to so i just took the pic anyways. Oh well. :thumbsup:

I am currently working to get my lockers. I want air lockers or nothing so i am going to have to wait till i get the money. I dont want to have to set the gears up to many times.

... and BTW, ohe_boy ...the tire isnt mounted thats why it looks funny...

Well how does he expect to go anywhere without the tires mounted on?? :confused:

:p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

Damn....I thought it looked a little different with the tire sticking out that far. The next pic below it shows the tire on...it just threw me a little off ;)

Hey its cool it threw me off to... and i did it lol

Man it took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on in that 6th pic. what i did right when i got my tires was rolled them right nextto the truck. if i remember correctly that rear tire wouldnt stay where it needed to so i just took the pic anyways. Oh well. :thumbsup:

I am currently working to get my lockers. I want air lockers or nothing so i am going to have to wait till i get the money. I dont want to have to set the gears up to many times.

I wanted to get the ARB locker, but didn't feel comfortable drilling into the diffs. Plus having on board air is a sweet perk!! :thumbsup:

i got the detroit electrac locker in front and full detroit in the rear.

the electrac is REAL good IMO. LS when not engaged, Fully locked when it is!!! I hardly had to use it on the trails....but its a good lifeline!!!

since im goin 1 ton next summer should i do a duallie explorer?

I might have to look into this...I still want arb

I might have to look into this...I still want arb

I'm thinking of getting the tank just to have on board air!

OBA has got to be sweeeeet

on board welder is also sweet, im looking into them

their out there for us but at $300 for the unit and wiring and $1076.50 for the alternator... idk.... www.premierpowerwelder.com

on stock tires for sh1ts and giggles tho

on board welder is also sweet, im looking into them

the first time i got to see someone use one was at badlands last year. this guy broke a front drivshaft somewhere out there. i think it was a front drive shaft. anyways. i was thinking this guy is going back to the shop and gonna have to pay to get it done. but i kept playing around and i drove back by later and he was under there welding it back together. It was pretty sweet if i may say.

i found a smaller one for 700 which would be good enough to do what ever i would need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Burns I gotta a question,...

You got a emergency brake/parking brake setup on the rear 9"?

Back