Shifting issues on '06 Mountaineer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifting issues on '06 Mountaineer

So whats the deal with this transmission? Do you think Ford will ever figure it out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So whats the deal with this transmission? Do you think Ford will ever figure it out?

I am sure they will, but maybe not as quickly as we'd like... :rolleyes:

i had the TSB on this issue done about a month ago... the problem came back... i hate to have to go back but its a frustrating thing to have happen. we'll see what they say this time.

I just ran across this site, and it appears that transmission problems are very common on the 06 explorers.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2006/

It sounds to me that a recall is in order, but how do we make sure that it actually happens? This problem almost makes driving unbearable.

got mine back from the dealer Monday. 3rd time it was in for shifting issues where it jolts when you come to a stop and feels like you got rear ended. It still doesnt feel like it shifts right. The dealer did say that from what he has learned the transmission in the 2007 is a different model number than the 2006.

My wife has been complaining about the shifting issues described here. Our '06 goes in to the dealer tomorrow. We'll see what happens. If this is a long drawn out problem, I'm getting rid of it.

got mine back from the dealer Monday. 3rd time it was in for shifting issues where it jolts when you come to a stop and feels like you got rear ended. It still doesnt feel like it shifts right. The dealer did say that from what he has learned the transmission in the 2007 is a different model number than the 2006.

If the 2007 is different than the 2006, then Ford must have realized they had a problem.

Why can't they just replace the bad 2006 transmissions with the 2007 models?

taking my car in again tomorrow. my dealership was very helpful, but im still going to give them an ear full. will definately report back.

MIne has gotten worse now and the combo of the heat and A/C it kicks much harder now..... back to dealer...

we had a couple of days in the 60's and the transmission shifted fine, now its back down in the 20's and the problem is back. I'm curiuos if the temperature has any effect on why this problem keeps coming back, although it shouldnt!!

we had a couple of days in the 60's and the transmission shifted fine, now its back down in the 20's and the problem is back. I'm curiuos if the temperature has any effect on why this problem keeps coming back, although it shouldnt!!

My temps 85-100 have certainly made it MUCH worse... could be timing, but certainly worse now..... dang it

here in san francisco the temp. changes almost everyday. in the mornings its usually around 45-50, shifting issue is present, in the afternoon it can hit high 60's and 70's isssue is still present. i even took it to Lake Tahoe where it hit -15 degrees and the issue was still present. I took it in today, told them it was a repeat problem, they looked like they have seen plently of these with the same problem. no questions asked by them, they pretty much knew the routine. they said it might take a few days depending on what they find. i'll definately report back soon.

i'm taking mine back next friday. today its been at its worst. Even had trouble getting the shifter out of park and into gear. Ford should step up to the plate. Its getting to be a real pain in the a$$ having to drop it off for the same problem. Typical Ford.

I took my Mountaineer in this morning. They said that they have been replacing a shift solenoid. Has anyone had this replaced? I'll keep you posted on my repairs.

For sure keep us posted. I'd like to know if that helps solve the problem.

I took my Mountaineer in this morning. They said that they have been replacing a shift solenoid. Has anyone had this replaced? I'll keep you posted on my repairs.

I got the car back and they performed TSB 06-23-11. The dealer said that this is an updated TSB for the harsh shifting reports. The shifting is somewhat better but not what it should be. I did get two clunks on the way home which is less than before so I'm assuming that it will only get worse. It also does not seem that it is downshifting the way it should be. The car seems to be pushing me along as I'm trying to slow down.

are the bulk of your trucks all v-8's? I was looking this past fall at a v8 model but now i might be holding off till they get a few of the bugs wearing off. good luck w/ your trucks, d

Yes, the majority of us do have v8's, if not all of us. This is on the 6 speed automatic.

I got the car back and they performed TSB 06-23-11. The dealer said that this is an updated TSB for the harsh shifting reports.

Wish we could get a copy of 06-23-11 TSB. The tech DVD I have only goes to mid 2006 and the latest applicable TSB is 06-13-1. I know I have some of the other symptoms such as the high idle at cold start.

Here is 06-23-11 TSB (which may have been superseded)
------------------
ISSUE:
Some 2006 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer and 2007 Sport Trac vehicles, built on or before 5/4/2006, equipped with a 4.6L 3V engine and a 6R60 transmission may exhibit various driveability and transmission shift quality symptoms.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and the transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using WDS/IDS release B43.7 and higher or B44.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B44 CD.Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Refer to the following Service Procedure for a listing of specific symptoms being addressed by the calibration update.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

2006 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2007 Sport Trac built on or before 5/4/2006 may exhibit the following symptoms:

-Cold hesitation / surge
-Long crank
-Engine fan noise on cold start and A/C operation
-High idle during warm up (cold engine)
-Transmission engagement delay when shifting between P-D, N-D, and R-D
-Delayed / Hesitation on 1-2 shift, 2-1, and / or 3-2 decel step-in shifts
-Hoot noise during cold 1st gear launches from transmission pump
-Inaccurate message center average fuel economy estimation

1. Install WDS/IDS or equivalent, and ID vehicle.

2. Update the PCM and TCM calibration using WDS/IDS release B43.7 or higher or B44.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B44 CD. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.

3. Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175° F (80° C). If it is not at 175° F (80° C), drive unit approximately 3 miles to reach temperature.
NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175° F (80° C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 4.

4. Drive vehicle to perform adaptive shift strategy.
a. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle. The 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts must occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.
b. Continue to accelerate gently to 50 MPH (80 Km/h) so that the transmission shifts into 6th gear.
c. Brake gently to a COMPLETE STOP and hold foot on brake for at least 15 seconds.
d. Repeat Steps (a-d) a total of five (5) times.
------------------

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

quick update, so my service writer called me the other day and said they couldnt find anything wrong with the shifting and they didnt do any updates to the PCM because it was already done. So, i told him i would stop by and have HIM take a test drive with me. The first couple of times we didnt feel it, seems like when you just start the car you dont feel it but as you drive and the car warms up you start feeling it. anyways, we felt it and he said he would need the car for a few days. that was tuesday. hasnt gotten back to me yet. hopefully they fix this damn thing, fortunately my service writer is willing to help me out.

Back