Camping and light wheelin' in Clear Creek/Boulder Counties | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camping and light wheelin' in Clear Creek/Boulder Counties

jayhawkexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mission, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey guys,

I see this forum is about as busy as the KC Area Explorers one that I'm a part of, but I figured I can give this a shot before posting it in the general off road runs section.

I want to get out and see some scenery, do some camping, do some very light wheeling, and Colorado is the closest place to Kansas City to really do it. I'm thinking of a 4-5 day vacation in the spring. From looking through the trails on traildamage.com, Clear Creek and Boulder counties are really my best bet for what I'm talking about.

Here's the trails I've found so far:
Clear Creek
- Loch Lomond
- Saxon Mountain
- Cumberland Gulch

Boulder
- Bunce School Road
- Caribou Creek
- Boreas Pass
- Middle St. Vrain
- Johnny Park Road

Also through about doing Yankee Hill in Gilpin County, since that's a connecting road right there too. I'm looking for easy trails that may require 4x4 but nothing that's going to give me damage; I can't afford to pay for big time damage on my DD. In addition to scenery, I'd like to camp, maybe fish, and probably head to Blackhawk/Central City to gamble at night too.

How do these trails sound to you guys? What ones am I missing? What else is there fun to do in that area? General feedback?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are some light trails, you should be fine. I am not familiar with all on the list but according to the rating, you should be allright :)

Bump.....

Hey, I live in the Denver/Golden area and I just bought a 1991 XL. I am thinking of going camping/4X4'ing this summer but (like you) I can't afford to go very hard-core (I gotta get to work in this thing). Let me know if you are getting anything sorted out.

Hey, I live in the Denver/Golden area and I just bought a 1991 XL. I am thinking of going camping/4X4'ing this summer but (like you) I can't afford to go very hard-core (I gotta get to work in this thing). Let me know if you are getting anything sorted out.

If you can figure out how to turn back time a year and a half, you can go too.

traildamage.com has an excellent list and review of ALOT of trails in CO.

There is everything from mild to wild here, I have recently been finding the "wild" trails for sure

If you can figure out how to turn back time a year and a half, you can go too.

Jayhawk doesn't even have his explorer any longer--:(

Nice. I want to camp too. I just installed some parts to my explorer, and I want to take it somewhere, up the mountains and camp I guess. I recently added some light bars to my ride to add light vision. I think it's kinda cool, and will be definitely used during camp.

Back