• Register Today It's free!

OEM 3rd Gen Grill/Brush Guard

grn03exp

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Orion, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4x4
Ive never actually seen an explorer with the OEM brush guard, but i have the picture from the ford accessories catalog. The angle is really bad, so i cant really tell if i like it or not. Does anyone have one, or has a better picture of one?

icn7267b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that sure isn't much of a brush guard...

Thats what i figured, i found one on ebay for 159.99. It looks real nice, but in the pictures you could see the mounts and bars behind the plastic piece, and they didnt look to substantial. I posted the picture below. Still, if anyone has any pictures of it, post em up, i kinda want to see it from a better angle. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better brush guard thats on the cheap side.

icn10234.jpg

Judging by the looks of that, they're probably more for aesthetics. The plastic cover hides the flimsy mounting brackets and those chrome tubes look like thin wall tubing. These are pretty common in Asia for locally-made suvs to save on weight. Purely decorative - won't even stop a loaded grocery cart

You might be better off getting a close match with a well known brand like manik or westin and then having a little fabrication / bending / customization done to the mounting brackets and bars if you want a real functional brush guard

I found one on http://www.dealsofsteel.com. Its the three piece modular. It looks like a nice brush guard and its only 259 with free shipping. What do you think?

I found one on http://www.dealsofsteel.com. Its the three piece modular. It looks like a nice brush guard and its only 259 with free shipping. What do you think?

If you meant this:

2801435120039763510S425x425Q85.jpg

Then it looks very similar to that of a second gen's. Manufactured by manik

2342265160039763510S425x425Q85.jpg

and (same truck as above without the hellas)

2227562720039763510S425x425Q85.jpg

The only difference is the bottom cross bar - square on the dealsofsteel and round on the manik

thats my exact grille guard.... doesnt look exactly the same as the picture but thats where i ordered it.. best deal ive found yet... 259 free shipping

2456765_23_full.jpg

thats my exact grille guard.... doesnt look exactly the same as the picture but thats where i ordered it.. best deal ive found yet... 259 free shipping

2456765_23_full.jpg

So is that well built. I only ask because usually brush guards usually run about 450.

So is that well built. I only ask because usually brush guards usually run about 450.

Mine is quite sturdy. Two sets of heavy mounting brackets (2 below the bumper and 2 between the bumper and the headlights). I can't vouch for the price because mine was factory installed. Btw, the vertical supports actually have some sort of rubber cover. The horizontal headlight bars (the small bars) are removable and the light mounting is built-into a recessed portion of the guard protected by plastic caps.

I would say it's good value if you can get it for $259

my guard only mounts on two brackets on the bottom and im considering fabbing it to make some reinforcement on the top... as in putting extra bars under the grille to make it much sturdier... although i rear ended someone at 15 and it barely bent

that is the best deal yet. I saw bigapple pics the other day and was going to ask were you got it.
hey bigapple any shaking or vibration w/o the upper mounts? if you do fab some additional mounts post em

that is the best deal yet. I saw bigapple pics the other day and was going to ask were you got it.
hey bigapple any shaking or vibration w/o the upper mounts? if you do fab some additional mounts post em

it doesnt make noisy vibrations rite now but u can see it shaking inside the car when u hit bumps... i still have to find a way to get bars across the header panel for reinforcement.. ive been thinking of ideas.. still workin on it

I wonder if the high end after mkt jobs have 4 mounting positions. Ive been looking at them and they dont indicate that. I like 259 shaken over 450 shaken. You have a tough front end impression.

Thats what i figured, i found one on ebay for 159.99. It looks real nice, but in the pictures you could see the mounts and bars behind the plastic piece, and they didnt look to substantial. I posted the picture below. Still, if anyone has any pictures of it, post em up, i kinda want to see it from a better angle. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better brush guard thats on the cheap side.

icn10234.jpg

I was more interested in the aesthetics part and I inquired the seller about the ease of installation. I was asking about whether it involves trimming/cutting or just a plain bolt on application. The person who answered my email was not 100% sure that there will be (or none) cutting involved. I'm thinking, they are supposed to know considering they manufacture that stuff.
Does anyone have other information?

I was more interested in the aesthetics part and I inquired the seller about the ease of installation. I was asking about whether it involves trimming/cutting or just a plain bolt on application. The person who answered my email was not 100% sure that there will be (or none) cutting involved. I'm thinking, they are supposed to know considering they manufacture that stuff.
Does anyone have other information?

Thats why i was looking at it. I never intend on offroading. You cant lift the third gen, so whats the point. I saw that brush guard and i liked it for the asthetics. Its a genuine ford part, and most ford accessories are direct bolt on, no permanent modifications required. I would inquire at a dealer if you really want to know, im assuming the seller on ebay has no clue.

just to put it out there, i bumped into someone with my guard that has two mounting points going about 15 mph and theres no signs of a significant bend in the metal... its pretty solid although going about 30 it would have been worse

Thats why i was looking at it. I never intend on offroading. You cant lift the third gen, so whats the point. I saw that brush guard and i liked it for the asthetics. Its a genuine ford part, and most ford accessories are direct bolt on, no permanent modifications required. I would inquire at a dealer if you really want to know, im assuming the seller on ebay has no clue.

Ford accessories got back to me saying that particular item will require drilling of holes.

Back