Dual shocks/softer coils????

colindo94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cameron Park, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT
Alright....I just got the james duff radius arms and I love them. I think they were the best upgrade to my truck for a long time. I have the 5.5" superlift. I have been cycling my suspension and have found that at full droop with the new radius arms I'm hanging up on the shocks (they are fully extended). At full flex The stiff superlift coils are limiting my up travel. I would like to replace the still superlift coils with somthing softerq (any suggestions???) and in order to get more troop I need longer shocks soI need some shock hoops. I was thinking some 8" XJ coils up front. Will these be to soft for on the road? will they work for my 5.5" of lift. If I run these I will need dual shocks to control the softness. I like the dual shock set up that Zimmermann runs were both shocks are mounted from the radius arms. I have the dual shock setup on the Duff radius arms, but I don't know what to bolt the top of the shocks too. Here is a pic of the Zimmermann X...notice the dual shocks.
zimexp.jpg

So how would I set this up?

The other option is to go with the skyjacker coils and just some f-150 shock towers and not go with dual shocks because the coils are not as soft. But will this setup give me a good amount of travel. Just need some input because I've been researching my options for a while now.

I know the best way to go is with a custom I beam set up, but I need to gather the money to do that. Im in search of a place that will cut and turn my beams for a good price. Or maybe find a pair that someone is willing to sell me. But till then I would like to build on that plan with stuff I can do Now. So just tell me what you think and some now how.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright....I just got the james duff radius arms and I love them. I think they were the best upgrade to my truck for a long time. I have the 5.5" superlift. I have been cycling my suspension and have found that at full droop with the new radius arms I'm hanging up on the shocks (they are fully extended). At full flex The stiff superlift coils are limiting my up travel. I would like to replace the still superlift coils with somthing softerq (any suggestions???) and in order to get more troop I need longer shocks soI need some shock hoops. I was thinking some 8" XJ coils up front. Will these be to soft for on the road? will they work for my 5.5" of lift. If I run these I will need dual shocks to control the softness. I like the dual shock set up that Zimmermann runs were both shocks are mounted from the radius arms. I have the dual shock setup on the Duff radius arms, but I don't know what to bolt the top of the shocks too. Here is a pic of the Zimmermann X...notice the dual shocks.
zimexp.jpg

So how would I set this up?

The other option is to go with the skyjacker coils and just some f-150 shock towers and not go with dual shocks because the coils are not as soft. But will this setup give me a good amount of travel. Just need some input because I've been researching my options for a while now.

I know the best way to go is with a custom I beam set up, but I need to gather the money to do that. Im in search of a place that will cut and turn my beams for a good price. Or maybe find a pair that someone is willing to sell me. But till then I would like to build on that plan with stuff I can do Now. So just tell me what you think and some now how.

Thanks

Good choice with the James Duffs arms, the are really nice and beafy. When I had the TTB I had Skyjack 6" coils that where very soft, I ran the f-150 coil mounts. It work very well, I got good wheel travel. Cheapthrillex has the same setup you are thinking of. Maybe you could send him a pm and he can give you some more info.

Is dual shocks nessasary with the skyjacker coils?

Is dual shocks nessasary with the skyjacker coils?

Well I didn't run a sway bar in the front or rear. So in my application I think dual shocks would of helped with the body roll. But I was fter maxium flex and wheel travel offroad. Also my truck was offroad 90% of the time and the other 10% sitting in my driveway. I would say if you are running a sway bar one shock out be good enough.

On a side note, the superlift springs are very stiff from what I have seen from many people. The Skyjacker and James Duff are a bit softer. I have seen a few using the Jeep coils with good success I am not sure if they were using 2 shocks or a sway bar.

Well I have a swaybar with quick disconnects. If I go with jeep coils I think that dual shocks would be very nessesary.

Back