• Register Today It's free!

manual tranny filter system??

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
Hi all, I've done some searching but havn't found completed projects on installing a filtering system on the M5OD, Since it's auto trans fluid and there are some sensitive parts in there, I thought it might be a nice project. I imagine one would have to install a remote pump.... Any thought on this, or is this a pointless idea?? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know what that would do to help.

I was wondering the same thing... But I think the skill needed to do that is far beyond my abilities. I'd love to know how though. And what about additional cooling? A cold tranny can't hurt.

It's a manual transmission. It's basic.

No need to clutter it up any with the use of a remote fluid pump that it doesn't need. The oil temps will never get too hot, therefor adding a cooler to it is ALSO useless.

I've rebuilt the M5OD (how many people here can say that?) It's not difficult. In all actuality, it's a Mazda re-engineered version of the T-5!

Oh yeah....a cold tranny CAN hurt....it's called optimum operating temperatures. Too hot, or too cold cause different, but equally bad and costly damages. Cold aluminum, steel, brass, and bronze breaks a bit easier than warmed aluminum, steel, brass and bronze.

Leave the manual transmissions alone. Leave it. Alone.

Ryan

I can say that i have rebuilt one. Its not hard.

Burns....you know what I meant....honestly, we are probably 2 out of MAYBE 5-7 people on here that have actually opened up a M5OD, pulled it apart, inspected it, replaced the parts that needed to be, and put it all back together.

Ryan

Burns....you know what I meant....honestly, we are probably 2 out of MAYBE 5-7 people on here that have actually opened up a M5OD, pulled it apart, inspected it, replaced the parts that needed to be, and put it all back together.

Ryan

Oh i was just saying that it was easy. I got whay you said. I agree. :thumbsup:

Pretty much what I thought as well, I'm just looking for new projects to do indoors since we've gotten snow all of last week, and some more will pile on for the next 3 days :(

Thanx guys ;)

So the best thing I can do for a manual tranny is change the fluid to synthetic... Less friction, less wear. Other than that, the tranny will survive on it's own? What about a larger oil pan?... I know, LEAVE IT ALONE!

Burns, did you take any pictures of your rebuild?

I didnt have the time to do so. We had to get it going in one weekend and that would have taken to much time. I wanted to do a full rebuild diary on it because there are a few but some are not finished.

I do have a 1354 transfer case that i have tore apart that im getting ready to take a lot of pic of. :thumbsup:

okay guys...I have tomorrow off....

I'll go through my pics, and post them in my M5OD re-build thread.

Thanks,
Ryan

use a good quality fluid and change it often. that's all you have to do. my other cars see time on the road course, and the non-cooled non-filtered manual transmissions hold up just fine to sustained 100+mph work in the heat of the summer.

use a good quality fluid and change it often. that's all you have to do. my other cars see time on the road course, and the non-cooled non-filtered manual transmissions hold up just fine to sustained 100+mph work in the heat of the summer.

How often do you change the fluid? I had my trans overhauled at 150,000 miles because it was hard to shift into 1st, especially when hot. 1-1/2 years later it started getting hard to shift again, so this time I just replaced the fluid with synthetic ATF (Mobil 1) and it got better! Its again getting a little balky, so maybe another fluid change is in order.

Thanks.

Bob

I change it at least once per season on the go-fast cars. the navajo I'll probably stick with every 30-40k miles. It's cheap maintenance, and not that much more work if you've already got the vehicle lifted up to change the motor oil.

Just change the fluid ...whenever. A bigger pan may hurt because the gears wont throw the fluid around as per design.

I have 3 vehicles with manual gear boxes ..I change the fluid every 100,000 miles. If you are running through water or very very dusty areas then do it sooner. The simplicity of a manual gear box is also the beauty in maintaining them...almost no maintainence required.

Back