Shifting issues on '06 Mountaineer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifting issues on '06 Mountaineer

Dropped mine off today at the dealership, told them to replace the shift solenoid. I'll have to update when I get it back.

How do I get my dealership to replace the solenoid and valve body? I told them that it would resolve the problem, but they refused to do it. All they did was recalibrate the computer...for the third time....and just like I told them, it didn't work. The problem is still there.

Is there a TSB or something that I can quote? How can I convince them that the solenoid and valve body need replaced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do I get my dealership to replace the solenoid and valve body? I told them that it would resolve the problem, but they refused to do it. All they did was recalibrate the computer...for the third time....and just like I told them, it didn't work. The problem is still there.

Is there a TSB or something that I can quote? How can I convince them that the solenoid and valve body need replaced?

I just received a phone call from my dealer. They are telling me that the Mountaineer does not have a shift solenoid. They want me to go in tomorrow and go for a ride with the trans tech. They did a third reprogram on it three weeks ago and the tranny was worse than ever. I need the same info too. Thanks.

i just got my car back yesterday. the problem is gone, im really crossing my fingers and hoping it doesnt come back. they said they changed the valve body and shift solenoid.

Is there any way you can post a copy of your repair order on the site. i would like to make a copy of it so I can show my dealer. Thanks.

push your dealer to replace it. I did. The parts took a week to get because Ford was out of stock. evidently it is a problem. I have to take mine back next week. the parts just arrived. And they provided a loaner car.

Well I got the Mountaineer back and the new valve body (mectronic system) did not cure the problem. It still shifts like crap. I don't know where to turn now except get the lawyers going for a lemon law buy back. I can not believe that Ford produces this crap and can't fix it.

Well I got the Mountaineer back and the new valve body (mectronic system) did not cure the problem. It still shifts like crap. I don't know where to turn now except get the lawyers going for a lemon law buy back. I can not believe that Ford produces this crap and can't fix it.

Dang, sorry to hear that….my hopes of fixing mine are dwindling. I had the PMC/TCM flash a few weeks ago and it continues to shift well except for very slow (approx 5 mph) stop and go (such as waiting in line at a stop sign) where it "surges" between 1st and 2nd and back to 1st with almost 0 throttle input. I'm going to drive it for another few weeks and see if any other shifts get worse.

I wonder if there are different revisions of the TCM/Mechatronic assembly and some folks have gotten a newer version with the issues resolved?

For those of you who's problems were resolved, It would be great if we could get clarification of what exactly was replaced by the dealer (the exact part number). There's been a lot terms thrown around....valve body, shift solenoid, mechatronic, TCM, etc. I pulled up the shop manual pdf on the tranny to better understand the design and what repair procedures are in place.

Mechatronic and valve body are synonymous terms in this 6R60 tranny. In the manual, any major shifting issues were repaired by replacing the mechatronic unit as a whole. The TCM is mounted above the mechatronic but is not replaced in the procedures (though is reflahed with latest calibration). The "shift solenoids" are part of the mechatronic. It is feasible to just repair/replace specific solenoids...but most dealers don't troubleshoot this deep and just follow the manual to replace the entire mechatronic unit.

Hope this helps. Please provide more info so we can all get this resolved.

Here is an extract from the manual:
----
Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Main Control Valve Body (Mechatronic)

The TCM and main control valve body are a combination of hydraulic and electronic control units. Both of these modules are installed in the transmission inside the transmission fluid pan. The TCM for the transmission is mounted on top of the main control valve body.

Solenoids

The hydraulic module contains one solenoid valve. The solenoid valve is activated by the TCM and is either open or closed. It is used to switch the position valve. There are 6 electronic pressure control valves which convert an electronic current into a proportional hydraulic pressure. They are energized by the TCM and actuate the valves belonging to the relevant switching elements.
-----------

I hate to say after reading 3 pages of this stuff a month ago I still bought an 06 Ltd with V-8 and 6 speed auto and i did notice a slight difference when I test drove it but now a few miles later I also notice some of the symptons that are mentioned although not as bad as others. I almost wished I kepted my 98 XLT 5.0 AWD. I bought this to tow my boat and am worried that the trans is not up to it. Also I haven't noticed to much of a mpg increase with mixed driving I would say I get 13-15 mpg mixed but on the highway a solid 20-23.

i have to get mine back in as well, as it seems that when it gets warmer with A/C on the surge/slam is stronger...

Mine goes back in on Monday. TSB didn't stick. When I set up the appt, the service guy immediately told me he would give me a loaner car. Either he has been through this before, or I am in for a long wait for a permanent fix while they try to figure it out.

I still can't figure out what the fix is that I should be looking for. For those that have been in more than once, what seems to be working the best for a fix?

Thanks for the help.

hey guys, havent been checkin this thread lately. but... lemme update you guys as to how my tranny issue is coming along. its been a good month and a half now and to this day theres no hard downshifts from 2nd to 1st. i havent have an issue ever since the dealer said they changed the valve body and shift solenoid. thats what they said and thats what im relaying to you guys. good luck everyone.

Hello guys, my first post here. I have about 4200 miles on my 06 Explorer now, when did most of you start experiencing problems with the transmission?
Thanks for the input.

Hello guys, my first post here. I have about 4200 miles on my 06 Explorer now, when did most of you start experiencing problems with the transmission?
Thanks for the input.

Mine started from the minute I drove it off the lot.

Mine started from the minute I drove it off the lot.

Same here.. I just haven't had the time to get it into the shop yet. And after reading all of the other posters comments here I'm not sure that they'll actually be able to do anything about it besides waste my time.

Those that are having the shift issues, does it happen all the time or is it hit or miss? Is there a sure fire way to make it happen? Mine is at the dealer today and they are saying they can't find anything wrong.

At the Dealer

Those that are having the shift issues, does it happen all the time or is it hit or miss? Is there a sure fire way to make it happen? Mine is at the dealer today and they are saying they can't find anything wrong.

:usa: I find the best way to re-create the problem is to drive in stop and go traffic. Pulling out slowly from a red light also does it. At higher speeds or on the highway there is never a problem.

I can re-create it by simply getting up to about 15mph, coast back down to 10, and then hit the gas. The trans will make a sort of thunk and then grab the gear.

Thanks guys, that is what I have told them. They are going to try again today but I am planning on just going over and taking them for a ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been holding out until a real fix is out there, but now at 30k miles i can't wait too much longer to have this addressed, yet again...

Back