• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Transmission service?

beavis195

Reaction score
City, State
Sammamish, WA and Provo, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4 door
For my 05 the manual says the tranny flush isn't due until 150,000 miles. That seems pretty high to me. What do you guys recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For my 05 the manual says the tranny flush isn't due until 150,000 miles. That seems pretty high to me. What do you guys recommend?

Did you just get the '05? Congrats. I think the concensus is 150K is way too long before tranny service. I had been planning to do mine at about 60K with a pan drop and new filter and inspection. Some think that's too long and say you should at least do a flush every 30K or so. Anyway, the more I read in here about Gen 3 tranny probs the more I'm inclined to think that early service is good. I may just go ahead with a flush at my next oil change.

I had the dealer do a fluid and filter change for me recently just before I hit 100k. The quick lube type places can not do a flush for you on an '02. It has to do with it being a "sealed" transmission.

Anyway I would not let it go to 150k even though that is what it calls for.

I had the dealer do a fluid and filter change for me recently just before I hit 100k. The quick lube type places can not do a flush for you on an '02. It has to do with it being a "sealed" transmission.

Anyway I would not let it go to 150k even though that is what it calls for.

What did the fluid look like in it at 100K? That was the first service? Have you had any shifting issues with it? Thanks for any feedback - usually just hear bad stuff in here.

Back