Safe to tow 5x10 or 6x12 closed trailer?:1200 mi IN to CO | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safe to tow 5x10 or 6x12 closed trailer?:1200 mi IN to CO

I'm looking at my options for when I move out to Ft. Collins, Colorado in August. It's a relatively flat 1200 miles/20 hours between Indiana and CO. (Ft. Collins is on the western edge of the Colorado high plains)

Here are the tow rig specs:

'98 Mounty 5.0
BW 4406 Manual t-case
2/3" BL + shackles
265/75R16 Tires (32x10.50)
4.10's
Mac intake, Magnaflow exhaust
Reese Class III hitch

Service in last 10k miles
Fluids flushed/replaced -
Tranny, engine, cooling system, gears, t-case, power steering
Plugs/wires

I know the Mounty can pull a 5x10 or 6x12 enclosed Uhaul no problem. The 5x10/6x12 trailers have hydraulic surge brakes. It'll only be loaded with furniture, bikes, clothes etc. I'm worried about pulling that trailer for 20 hours across the high plains in August.

Obviously I would tow it with O/D off (and get horrendous MPG's) but I don't want to risk frying my tranny to save $600 in moving expenses (renting a Uhaul truck vs. uhaul trailer).

Thoughts/opinions/comments?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seriously, I think you have no issues--the trailer will be pretty light.
I would use overdrive on flat areas--I've noticed, with my transmission, the trans temperature is actually higher on the highway with OD off--. If it seems to kick in and out of OD, well then I'd switch it off. Just my .02
You might install a trans temp gauge--just for a little added protection.

Good luck, be sure to honk as you pass by

Would an aux trans cooler (in addition to the stock unit) be excessive?

I would use overdrive on flat areas

I'm driving from central Indiana to central Colorado - its flat the entire way LoL

I've noticed, with my transmission, the trans temperature is actually higher on the highway with OD off--. If it seems to kick in and out of OD, well then I'd switch it off. Just my .02
You might install a trans temp gauge--just for a little added protection.

I thought it was the stress of pulling a load in O/D (as opposed to heat) that kills an O/D unit?

Good luck, be sure to honk as you pass by

Are you close to I-70? We could grab a bite on my way through

You may want to check with UHaul as they still arent renting to explorer. mountaineers, etc.

You may want to check with UHaul as they still arent renting to explorer. mountaineers, etc.

They'll rent to a Mountaineer with no questions asked. When I moved to IN, I towed the rented 5x8 trailer with my Sport but had to pick it up with the Mountaineer.

The media killed the Explorer name - apparantly no one cares about a Navajo or Mountaineer :confused:

I would put a fan on the stock cooler. I think it was IZwack that suggested the early 90s geo prizm/toyota corolla that fits well and is a pusher so it would fit easily on the first gen. explorers. I can't picture off hand how much room you have, but if you can fit a fan on that cooler that should solve the heat issue of leaving it in D. As far as switching it into OD, I would do it when you feel its ok to save a little on gas, but if you can feel the trailer behind you, you know your tranny can feel it too and should stay in D. The temp gauge is a good idea too, just to keep an eye on it.

I think your setup is fine, but thats what I would do for a little added protection. Junk yard fan+simple wiring=not a lot of money and avoiding a burnt tranny (not that it would, but that it would be less likely with the fan). Sounds worth it to me.

You can do it no prob. The 265's and 4.10's my let you to in OD on long straight stretches. I would deff get a trans temp sensor- you need to watch it when towing in OD- if the temp goes way up, you have slipage and need to get out of OD. I wouldn't be worried a bit about doing it.

I towed the 5x10 or 6x12 (whichever one is the dual axle) Uhaul from CO to MS, nonstop, with zero problems, and never really noticed the trailer was back there except for the wind drag at highway speeds. With a 5.0, auto tranny, and especially with the 4.10's, you probably won't notice the trailer back there, either. Just keep the OD off if the wind drag is too much at highway speeds, and keep your speed so the RPMs are about normal for highway driving.

If you're really that worried about it, do a quick coolant change before the trip, and then change the tranny fluid after the trip if there were high temps.

Thanks guys!

Going back to school I didn't want to do anything that would risk killing the tranny.

Money's gonna be tight for the next 2 years

I towed my boat around with a stock 98 Explorer 5.0 AWD for a year and last week I weighed it at a scrap yard at 8K pounds. I had no mods and even drove it 200+ through slight hills to get it home (not incl launching/retrieving it at ramps every week)

Joe

I towed my boat around with a stock 98 Explorer 5.0 AWD for a year and last week I weighed it at a scrap yard at 8K pounds. I had no mods and even drove it 200+ through slight hills to get it home (not incl launching/retrieving it at ramps every week)

Joe

Cool :thumbsup:

Feelin' pretty confident about this move now... 9.5 weeks left in Indiana

Back