• Register Today It's free!

Front Brake Relpacement

Mytza11

Reaction score
City, State
Williams Lake, BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I am planning on Replacing my rotors, caliper, and brake pads on my 92 explorer..Caliper has seized on drivers side and let loose the other day and brake fluid leaked out, pretty sure all of it..Once I replace these components and refill the brake fluid...will I be able to bleed all the brakes myself(truck has RABS)....or will I need to take it to a garage to get it bled...have heard you need special tools for bleeding ABS vehicles...And if it needs to go to a garage to get bled will I be able to get enough braking to drive a mile to get it done even though it hasn't been bled....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with mine i bled mine just by unscrewing the little nipple thing i used a small wrench and pushed in on the piston a few times as hard as i could a few times and called it good there was no problems and that waas about 800 miles ago. but its your call

Im not expert when it comes to cars but I do know some... To replace rotors it a bit wierd... I replaced mine myself with the help of this guide http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122696, you do need a special wheel bearing lock nut socket to get a nut off (I was told u can do it with a chisel and hammer but it didn't work for me)...

I also looked up a thread for u, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177778&highlight=bleeding+brakes+abs, talks about bleeding RABS and such...

From what I know from bleeding, I've bled brakes without doing anything special to with the ABS and it's always worked fine (I remember reading something wierd that if you don't do something with the abs while bleeding brakes it will build up dirty fluid and ruin the ABS but I haven't seen it happen before). I've always done it with 2 people, 1 person pumps and holds the brake pedal and the other one opens the valve and with the pedal to the floor, the air/fluid will come out.

I also think u can put some brake fluid in a jar, and attach a hose to the bleeder valve and put the hose in the jar and keep the valve open... This would prevent the valve from sucking in air after the brake pedal is released. This only takes one person do it this way. You can also buy 1 man brake bleeder kits for hundreds of dollars that will bleed the brakes for u (never used one before, only seen them) They use like a vacuum with an airline and must suck all the air out and some fluid.

Sry I talk a lot, don't know if any of this has helped you but I hope it has.

I've got to do a brake job soon too. When it comes to Explorers is there a certain brand of rotors or pads that is best to use?

Umm... my uncle works at a warehouse that sells car parts... I got both rotors for $42 dollars for both. They're some chinese made rotors but he said they sell thousands of them.. They're just basic rotors that meet OEM standards and that's good enough for me.. You can probably buy cross drilled and slotted rotors (just makes it so the rotors don't get so hot, best used when braking hard ie. towing or something, they're performance rotors)... As for brake pads, different ones are made of different materials which make them last longer or better braking... I wouldn't worry too much about getting special calipers, rotors, or pads tho... For basic use, just go with stuff that meet OEM standards. If you really want, I'd go to a parts place and ask an employee there they could probably help you more than me.

Like I said tho, I'm not 100% sure Im not an expert by far... You'd have to ask a parts person to be sure, and of course, better parts come at a more expensive price.

I am planning on Replacing my rotors, caliper, and brake pads on my 92 explorer..Caliper has seized on drivers side and let loose the other day and brake fluid leaked out, pretty sure all of it..Once I replace these components and refill the brake fluid...will I be able to bleed all the brakes myself(truck has RABS)....or will I need to take it to a garage to get it bled...have heard you need special tools for bleeding ABS vehicles...And if it needs to go to a garage to get bled will I be able to get enough braking to drive a mile to get it done even though it hasn't been bled....

Same thing happened to my '92...I just finished the job about 3 weeks ago. I know that you are supposed to bleed from the furthest away from the Master Cyclender to the closest, but, truthfully, I didn't do the rear. I only blead the front and they are working great. However, they do make a "Do it yourself" brake bleeder kit. You can pick it up @ Autozone for around $10, and the RABS should not be a factor. Just bleed it like it wasn't there... Also, read this thread...it's pretty good... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177778&highlight=bleeding+brakes+abs

for as long as i've owned x's (and my b2) i've used the autozone or advance pads and rotors. $30 a rotor and $20 for pads is hard to beat, and they last well enough for me

I've got to do a brake job soon too. When it comes to Explorers is there a certain brand of rotors or pads that is best to use?

I don't recommend NAPA front pads unless you buy the Super Duty ones. I've had several of the "stock" pads crack at the Rivets after 20K miles.

The Super Duty pads are not riveted...so far, so good.

Don't even think about driving it without bleeding.

The $10 kits work great, they're basically the jar and tube setup. I've also seen them for less than that.

If you're not comfortable with it, call AAA and get it towed to have them bled, just don't drive it.

Mike

read that forum on doing the front brakes, very informative...Noticed it was done on a truck with Aoutomatic hubs...was just wondering if there is anything different that must be done since I have manual hubs or is it pretty much the same...

Back