• Register Today It's free!

ttb knuckles on solid axle d44

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
hi everyone. I ended up swapping from a '80 wagoneer 6 bolt to a dana44 out of a '78 bronco and i had to swap out the knuckles for 6 bolt wheels to line up. the only problem is that the outer axle shafts don't seem to be quite long enough to get the C clips on.

(i got the last solid front axle out of a junkyard with a 30mile radius, so getting a solid axle knuckle would be difficult, i sold off the 5 lug parts with the wagoneer axle)

Would I be able to use the TTB dana44 knuckles on my solid axle?

does anyone know if the outer axle shafts on the wagoneer d44 are longer than the outer shafts on a bronco d44 straight axle?

any other solutions to my problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does anyone know if the outer axle shafts on the wagoneer d44 are longer than the outer shafts on a bronco d44 straight axle?
I tried to use the entire long-side axle shaft from a 78-79 Ford D44 and the outter axle shaft was shorter than the Wagoneer's outter axle shaft (could not get the C-clip on). I ended up just using the inner shaft from the Ford and re-using the outter shaft from the Wagoneer.

sound like that would work but i wouldent trust IZwack...hes a politition....

Dont use the outer C-clips. You dont need them. :)

is that a joke or do you not really need the C clips? i can get some waggy shafts, but it will cost me quite a penny, the only local boneyard that has it is pretty pricey.

is that a joke or do you not really need the C clips? i can get some waggy shafts, but it will cost me quite a penny, the only local boneyard that has it is pretty pricey.
Its no joke, you really dont need them. There are eleventy five catrillion early Bronco guys out there (including myself) that dont run them because they will not work with the chevy disc swap. Its really no big deal. If you want to be **** about it, you can get a short bolt and body washer and run that in the end of the axle shaft. It will do the same thing as the little clip. Its a waste of time however, because its just not needed. :)

Also never sell old parts until your conversion is done, you NEVER know when you will need something you just got rid of......

Back