1991 Ford Explorer HELP for inspection! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Ford Explorer HELP for inspection!

Reaction score
City, State
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
Ok so I just bought a 91 explorer xlt needs inspected, was told it needs tires, shocks, a tailpipe and some work on the right front spindle ( Hub, bearings, seals, u-joint). i can handle the shocks, tires and tailpipe. my question is is the spindle part hub bearing seals and u joint all one part? or is it all in individual parts? and if ANYONE has ever had to replace them parts how hard are they? if anyone also has sum tires or shocks or the spindle piece they want to sell let me know as well ;-) thank you!
best way to get in touch with me is on AOL or AIM or by email!
AIM - kaotiklivin4eva
email - kaotiklivin4eva@aim.com
thank you in advance! also i am new to this forum!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not to tough

thus far i have not found anything to tough on my 91 suspension and wheels. Some things you might find useful as I did. A half inch breaker bar and penetrant. Also the Haynes Manual is pretty good with step by step pictures on things for dummies like me.:usa:

Awesome thanks for the advice. looks like ill be making my way to the auto parts store for the book. :) im a dummy to when it comes to fords! haha

the first thing everyone should do when they buy a vehicle is buy a manual.

i prefer the factory service manuals but i sometimes get the haynes or chiltons also.

i have done that with all my other vehicles they seem to be very helpful.
thank you.

The spindle, bearings, wheel seal, spindle bearings, are all separate parts. I am currently rebuilding my front end and will be replacing all these parts by this weekend (2nd time around for me)

The spindle, bearings, wheel seal, spindle bearings, are all separate parts. I am currently rebuilding my front end and will be replacing all these parts by this weekend (2nd time around for me)

PM has been sent to you about more information, thanks!

Funny you should mention

I spent this afternoon changing u-joints, grease seals and spindle bearings etc. in my '93 XLT. As the other guys said, get yourself a good manual. It's all pretty simple, other than if you need to change that inner, passenger side u-joint that is. My buddy the mechanic tells me that the best way to tackle that one it to cut the universal out with a torch as the inner shaft has a c-clip holding it inside the front diff. Mine was fine and I didn't replace it. Other wise I guess you would have to remove the front cover of the axle, big job. Fortunately the driver's side axle and u-joint pulls out easily after you remove the spindle. The passenger side outer has a slip joint with a rubber boot and slides out after you cut the boot clamp off and remove the passenger side spindle.

My outer u-joints were seized and when I turned the wheels sharply the axles would spin and try to lock the front hubs. I'd be driving down the road and one of the hubs would start whining and the truck would pull to that side. Sounded horrible. Took me a while to figure that one out, had those hubs apart a few times, changed the bearings, etc... the universals were tight and didn't seem to be bad. When I took them apart they were rusted and seized.

Anyways, what I was trying to say is that's it's not that hard. Follow the prcedures in the manual and if you run into trouble just ask:) .

Cheers.
C.

Thank you as well for your opinion, i think i may just buy the book and take a look. also i think i may take my vehicle to another garage and get more info on exactly what i need to change so im not wasting time and money. i will definately be sure to ask if i run into annny problems! thanks again :)

I spent this afternoon changing u-joints, grease seals and spindle bearings etc. in my '93 XLT. As the other guys said, get yourself a good manual. It's all pretty simple, other than if you need to change that inner, passenger side u-joint that is. My buddy the mechanic tells me that the best way to tackle that one it to cut the universal out with a torch as the inner shaft has a c-clip holding it inside the front diff. Mine was fine and I didn't replace it. Other wise I guess you would have to remove the front cover of the axle, big job. Fortunately the driver's side axle and u-joint pulls out easily after you remove the spindle. The passenger side outer has a slip joint with a rubber boot and slides out after you cut the boot clamp off and remove the passenger side spindle.

My outer u-joints were seized and when I turned the wheels sharply the axles would spin and try to lock the front hubs. I'd be driving down the road and one of the hubs would start whining and the truck would pull to that side. Sounded horrible. Took me a while to figure that one out, had those hubs apart a few times, changed the bearings, etc... the universals were tight and didn't seem to be bad. When I took them apart they were rusted and seized.

Anyways, what I was trying to say is that's it's not that hard. Follow the prcedures in the manual and if you run into trouble just ask:) .

Cheers.
C.

Back