So the towing step bumper is bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So the towing step bumper is bad?

I've been reading a bunch of post and people keep saying oh its so bad but i searched and found no pics of why or threads about a ruined explorer.
I've actualy towed a large trailer with 2 250cc dirt bikes for several 200+ mile trips down gravel bumpy roads and everything and have been towing my boat and jet ski with it for over 2 years now on the factory hitch

So can anyone show me someone that din't over load the bumper and got thier truck messed up because of the stock tow step?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There were no factory "hitches" only bumpers. You can pull on the bumper I guess, but if you ever saw how one was constructed, you could see how easy it would be to mess it up overloading it.

I don't have any pictures, but I have seen numerous rangers and explorers with V shaped bumpers or bumpers tilted down from too much weight.

When you can buy a hitch for $100, why risk it?

There were no factory "hitches" only bumpers. You can pull on the bumper I guess, but if you ever saw how one was constructed, you could see how easy it would be to mess it up overloading it.

I don't have any pictures, but I have seen numerous rangers and explorers with V shaped bumpers or bumpers tilted down from too much weight.

When you can buy a hitch for $100, why risk it?

x2 (BUY A HITCH)

I 3rd that.....Hitches are so cheap anymore...and you can tow so much more with it.

Another place where a hitch is very valuable:

Moab_Day_3_105_Medium_.jpg

As most have stated, get a hitchasaurus.

But having said that, I towed a '73 Ford Maverick from Philly to the DC area on a bumper-mounted 2" ball :D

I feel so DUMB! I thought hitches were used for towing! Now I know they protect your bumber from rock formations.... My Bad! Shoot, I can see why you wouldn't want to tow. That rock would tear up anything dumb enough to follow you! :)

I've been reading a bunch of post and people keep saying oh its so bad but i searched and found no pics of why or threads about a ruined explorer.
I've actualy towed a large trailer with 2 250cc dirt bikes for several 200+ mile trips down gravel bumpy roads and everything and have been towing my boat and jet ski with it for over 2 years now on the factory hitch

So can anyone show me someone that din't over load the bumper and got thier truck messed up because of the stock tow step?

Its not that Stock bumpers are bad, its just they are only rated for 3500 lbs and people often tend to tow more than the rating. These explorers are easy to spot as their bumpers are bent down or contorted. A few 250cc bikes weigh 500lbs combined, add another 200lbs for supplies and the total is under 1,000lbs. A half ton is cake for any bumper or receiver hitch.
As the others members posted the benefits of a receiver hitch are its construction and versatility. With a 2" Class III receiver hitch you can use standard receiver hitches and get one with the correct drop to match the trailer (to keep it level). It can also be used a recovery point by using a hook or D-shackle. It can also be used as a jacking point (great for a high lift etc.. {I used it on my X last night in the woods}). And as pictured it can save the OEM bumper by shielding it form off-road damage..

Ok thats kinda what i thought, i'm not doing any serious off roading at the moment, just light trails (no car areas) when i go camping and stuff. i really just wanted the truck to tow this kinda lighter load and be able to haul 5+ people out to the lake along with cooler radio and such. i actualy plan on getting a hitch after school starts and i get my big loan and all, cause we're gonna sell my little boat and buy a large pontune party boat to take out when we go jet skiing to drink beer on :D

As long as you're within the rating for the bumper hitch, it's fine. Those that overload the factory hitch will damage it. It really is that simple.

Hauling a couple of dirt bikes on a small trailer is not a big deal. Hauling a couple of dirt bikes in the back of a 30-foot toy hauler is likely going to rip the bumper from the frame. Hauling this monster from the bumper is un-thinkable:

225714.jpg

And yes, it was on a Draw-Tite Class-III receiver mounted to the frame, and yes the specs were all within the tow vehicle's limits (barely).

-Joe

there's a mono leaf at it's finest...

I towed a few trailers with my step bumper, but got a receiver hitch because the bumper sits way too high. The rear edge of one long trailer was almost hitting the ground over some bumps. Only had about 4 or 5 inches of clearance unloaded on flat ground.

bumper is fine for light stuff. i hauled quite a bit on the bumper ball. since the bumper is usually higher than the trailer coupler, you will find that it will scratch the plastic on the bumper all to hell as it did with mine lol. when u get some extra money just get a hitch, so much better.

Back