• Register Today It's free!

Front End Problems

pookapa

Reaction score
City, State
Granby, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
i have a 97 xlt explorer and been having some front end problems.
1. hitting bumps in the road, higher speeds 50+ and windy conditions cause the explorer to rock left to right a lot especially when highway driving it feels very unstable and can feel it rocking continuosly when driving at these higher speeds.
2. when hitting a bump/pothole there is a thump you can hear clearly and feel under your feet, you can feel the thump more to the passenger side when that side hits a bump and the thump on the driver side when a bump hits that tire.

anybody know anything about these issues. need new shocks? sway bars? bushings?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would first check the 3 items you mentioned...addittionally, i know some ex's had another sway shock on them above the rear axle...if yours had it you will see the mount right on top...i only say start where you stated as these problems you don't feel at lower speeds so i'm thinking your shocks are due...

check your front sway bar and sway bar bushings, that should fix the first problem. That may also fix the second problem but if not, check your ball joints next.

Those sound like all the right places to start. I believe that extra shock is a load shock. I wouldn't worry about that one right now. I did my four shocks in the fall and just ignored that one. I put on the Monroe Sensa-Trac. Very reasonably priced and they made a huge difference. Also, consider a wheel alignment if you haven't had one done.

im gonna go witht eh sway bar links. i had the same thing, but i also noticed it turing, i would be able to like put my hand out and feel the ground! nothing is more scary than an explorer feeling likes its gonna roll!!

the extra shock is a sway shock and i agree with the sway bar bushings.....

so i looked under the explorer and i noticed that my both sway bar links were completely broken and sheared off, just picked up some new ones today and gonna put em in tomorrow. this should probably fix the problems eh?

that is a new one to me...i would figure something catastrophic to snap and shear them off...:confused:

Pookapa: That will definitely help. Easy repair, your toughest part will be getting the rest of the links out. I sheared the tops off of mine. The top inch or two were just gone. Basically broke off right under the bushing. My 2000 is a liftetime NE truck and I wound up taking a hack saw to them.

I had one break this past fall. I cut the old ones out with a 4 1/2" angle grinder. It is impossible to "unbolt" them.

After I replaced the links the clunks did get better, but I was still getting a clunk from somewhere. I found it a few weeks ago when while replacing ball joints and front axles. My upper control arm on the passenger side had quite a bit of play in it. I tightened it down and that seems to have helped. Of course the new ball joints have helped too.

just got done replacing links, front rotors and brake pads and now seems a lot better. next probably some shocks, anybody know of good shocks to get thats not crazy expensive.

I recommend these.
Those sound like all the right places to start. I believe that extra shock is a load shock. I wouldn't worry about that one right now. I did my four shocks in the fall and just ignored that one. I put on the Monroe Sensa-Trac. Very reasonably priced and they made a huge difference. Also, consider a wheel alignment if you haven't had one done.

I recommend these.
I put on the Monroe Sensa-Trac. Very reasonably priced and they made a huge difference. Also, consider a wheel alignment if you haven't had one done.

About $40-$45 a piece.

Hi guys,
I'm having cupping on my front tires (6month old Michlin ATs) I think it's the shocks too.....I'm planning on going with either the Ford shocks or the Monroe Sensa-track. What's a good place to buy the Monroe ? tirerack doesn't carry them. Should I change front and rear or just front should be ok ?

thanks.

Hi guys,
I'm having cupping on my front tires (6month old Michlin ATs) I think it's the shocks too.....I'm planning on going with either the Ford shocks or the Monroe Sensa-track. What's a good place to buy the Monroe ? tirerack doesn't carry them. Should I change front and rear or just front should be ok ?

thanks.

I got mine at Pep Boys. But just about any auto parts store will probably have them. I know that Advanced Auto Parts carries them too. Those places also sell items online if it is something that you want to order and have mailed to you.

Back