• Register Today It's free!

Permacool Fan question

gto78

Reaction score
City, State
stuart, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB 2wd v-6
I'm considering buying P/N 19115 electric perma cool fan. It looks nice, uses only 9.8 Amps, and pulls or pushes 2950 CFM! I want to remove the factory belt driven fan and install this one in the same location.

The question I have is this: does anyone have this fan in their hands where they can see whether the four mounting arms are removable? I want to space it far away from the radiator, exactly where the belt driven fan is- this will ensure that the air being pulled through the shroud will come from ALL parts of the radiator, not just the center of it where the fan is.

So many people remove the stock fan which is extremely efficient and quiet, and replace it with a "high performance" noise maker that ends up cooling only the center of the radiator... then they overheat and try an even bigger fan, when all they had to do was move the fan away several inches from the radiator and keep the factory shroud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking at this same fan, for price, CFM and draw. I figured I would mount it to the stock shroud, probably by bolting. Theres quite a gap between the fan and radiator on my OHV, and mounting does not seem to be a problem. If it bolts to the factory shroud that should not place the fan right up against the radiator and should pull the air through similar to a stock fan. I would like to get a good controller as well.

Dan

what are some sources for buying either of those controllers? I've searched all over the net and didnt find too many choices.

I run the Black Magic 150 in mine with great results.

If you can do it with the odd fans, affix it to the factory shroud, that will give you the best airflow. I chose to do epoxying, and so far it's stuck well. I hope to do another with a Ford fan for my V8. Good luck,

If you can do it with the odd fans, affix it to the factory shroud, that will give you the best airflow. I chose to do epoxying, and so far it's stuck well. I hope to do another with a Ford fan for my V8. Good luck,

My goal is to mount it solidly to the radiator or the radiator support frame, and space it far enough away from the radiator so that it is flush with the fan opening just about where the belt driven fan is. Probably the same place your talking about. I'm expecting it to equally pull air through all corners of the radiator instead of twice as much air through just the center of the radiator. The result hopefully will be a more efficient system that will cool just as much when stopped at a red light as it does when traveling down the road.

I really like the idea of the variable speed controllers, that will further help the efficiency and make it quieter when you don't need the full fan speed. I just need it to be solidly reliable because my wife drives it over a hundred miles a day and she doesn't remember to watch the temp gauge. Also I can't have her being stranded on the side of the road either. I think I'll end up making an emergency fan switch and hiding it under the dashboard with a red gaurd over it, the same ones I use at work on the airplanes.

I also don't worry about my wiring reliability, the fan motor is my only concern. Choose a fan from a common source, like the Taurus or Mustang.

I really like my fan mounting because the shroud is OEM and very sturdy. My fan is permanently attached to my shroud, and the shroud solidly mounts with just two bolts. Good luck,

Attachments

• Projectthread095.JPG
    Projectthread095.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 315
  • Projectthread089.jpg
    Projectthread089.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 327

I also don't worry about my wiring reliability, the fan motor is my only concern. Choose a fan from a common source, like the Taurus or Mustang.

I really like my fan mounting because the shroud is OEM and very sturdy. My fan is permanently attached to my shroud, and the shroud solidly mounts with just two bolts. Good luck,

Do you happen to know the CFM rating of the OEM taurus or mustang fans? I've been using Aldive's magic number of 2850 cfm as my safe limit since I know he used it for quite a while with no problems. I just worry that a low cfm fan will not hold it's own if I tow something or its a hot day etc.

I made a very custom setup with a double fan from a 95 I think SHO. I have no problems keeping the engine cool with it in Arizona, trans is a different story for a different time. I drove down here with my explorer so loaded the 4dr leaf springs I swapper into my explorer before my drive here were riding in the stops all the way down. I can sit in traffic on a hot day and it won't even come close to over heating.

I made a very custom setup with a double fan from a 95 I think SHO. ....

One other thing I am thinking about for this install is the noise of the fan(s). So far I've been getting away with upgrading/experimenting on my wifes truck with quite a few little mods, but she'll ***** if I make it louD. Two fans is always better, especially for air conditioning, but the truck is doing fine from the factory with one big fan, so hopefully I can replace it with this new setup that uses one with an ability to pull just as much air as it needs, but will cut that amount down to almost nothing when cruising on the highway thanks to the current controller.

My fan doesn't make much noise, doesn't run much over 60%. It's a large fan and a small fan, you could always have the small fan run while the a/c is one which wouldn't be that loud, dunno if it would be sufficiant though while the a/c is on.

I like the idea of two fans because you have a backup. how often would both fans fail at the same time right. any idea of what the cfm ratings are?

enough, that's the best I can tell ya I have no idea. Once the big one kicks on at 60% it brings the engine temp right down to where it should be very quickly so I'm happy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say that all of the fans with modern fan blades will be rather quiet. Look closely and you will notice that all old fans, and cheap aftermarket fans, all have straight flat blades. Those pull less air, and they are much louder.

With a progressive controller, the fan will very rarely if ever see full speed/amperage. I drive about 29 miles per day over almost three hours, that is a lot of low speed driving. I can hear my fan when I try to, but it always sounds like it is just barely running, shutting off or turning on. It has never been loud, and my highest temperature ever is about 207 degrees(6000 miles).

The factory fans will probably be more than enough from the fans you see on eBay from the Taurus, Mustang etc. The real big issue for all of them will be the mounting depth. Measure very carefully before beginning, few fans will fit the available few inches. Good luck,

Back