Sub Box Design, Under Rear Passenger Seat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sub Box Design, Under Rear Passenger Seat

Reaction score
City, State
St. Thomas, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey, I have a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac, and I'm going to be building an upward firing, sealed sub box to house a 10" kicker CVT Shallow mount sub.

I'm wondering if any of you have had some experience in building your own sub boxes to around these specs, or similar, and be able to give me some tips.

Some designs, or schematics would help out greatly. I was just going to go measure, but if anyone has done it before and has the dimensions, that would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've seen a few companies on ebay that make em, you could try contacting them but you would probably have to pay for the plans

Hey again, now after some reviewing, I realized that the sub I have is recommended to have a .8 cu.ft. box. The most I can possibly get is around .55. So, I think I'm going to mount it behind the rear passenger seat. And I'll build a huge triangular type box. On the rear driver side, behind the seat, I'll mount the amp.

Anyone know of this method? Thanks.

im not too sure exactly how much room you're gonna have back there, the most ive seen work was a fiberglass unit that held two 8" subs and an amp

Hey again, now after some reviewing, I realized that the sub I have is recommended to have a .8 cu.ft. box. The most I can possibly get is around .55. So, I think I'm going to mount it behind the rear passenger seat. And I'll build a huge triangular type box. On the rear driver side, behind the seat, I'll mount the amp.

Anyone know of this method? Thanks.

With that small of amount of air space, you'll need to poly fill the box. The extra fluff in there fools the sound waves into thinking the box is larger than it actually is. It's just a way of defeating physics. Poly filling is how small trucks get big box sounds.

That's a good idea on the fill, if not check out for some small box speakers, I know solo-barics are. But they are also a bit pricey they sound good tho. I had 3 12"s in an '81 CJ-5, sounded great even with a soft top. the new L5 8"s only need .75 cubic feet. and the 10"s need 1 cu. ft. and looking under my back seat there seems to be enough space for two or for that matter for the seat to fold down. Now whether you are gonna be able to tune the box, I have no idea but you can fit if not two at least one down there with ease. Also you should stop by one of those automotive audio places, and ask them what you can fit in there. Bullsh** them like you are gonna buy them. They'll let you know what you can fit in there.

Back