Ouray, CO Labor Day Weekend (CCR 07?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ouray, CO Labor Day Weekend (CCR 07?)

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Who's up for a run to Ouray, Colorado over Labor Day Weekend? It is August 31st - September 3rd. This is a little over a month away.

Trail Descriptions:

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

Trail Itinerary:

We will be wheeling on Saturday and Sunday, the following is the trails we plan to do-

Black Bear, Imogene and Yankee Boy Basin

I would love to do Stony Pass, Cunningham Gulch, and Arrastra Gulch since I have never done those before but I am open to suggestions

Meeting Location:

The Ice Park aka Rotary Park on the North end of Ouray, East side of road.

New time for Saturday: meet at 7:30 leave at 8 to avoid traffic (see pg 4)
Sunday, TBD, most likely 8:30, depart around 9AM

Lodging:

Ouray KOA
US Hwy 550 - CR23, PO Box J
Ouray, CO 81427
Information: (970) 325-4736
Fax: (970)325-0410
Email: koaouray1@mindspring.com
Reserve Online Now Or By Phone: (800) 562-8026
http://www.koa.com/where/CO/06158/

Ridgway-Ouray Lodge & Suites
For information and reservations, please call: 800-368-5444
373 Palomino Trail
P.O. Box 608
Ridgway, CO 81432
http://www.ridgwaylodgeandsuites.com/index.html

Required/Suggested Equipment
http://www.explorer4x4.com/trail_equip.html

Signed up
Brian1
mrboyle
becker69
Hokie
FlyBoyCoe - maybe

I know this is somewhat short notice but I would love to see a big showing of Explorers like the good old days!

Photos from CCR2000, Labor Day Weekend of 2000:

Attachments

• Explorade.jpg
    Explorade.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,302
  • ccr028a.jpg
    ccr028a.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,266
  • Blk_Br.JPG
    Blk_Br.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 613

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmmmmmmm. Explorer is about ready, just not sure if i'll be able to get off work and away from school. Ill let you know Brian

Oh man!!
You guys just have to try your darndest to make this. Ouray co, is one of the most beautifully set up towns. The trails and scenery are just breathtaking.

Imogene and Opher passes are real cool!

I would love to make it (how come it has to be the same weekend as the pepsi all american high school drags!!!) lol will be trying to get work and school off for this for sure...and a few other things that I need before I hit the trails

I would absolutely love to come, and I plan on being there. Just gotta check that school schedule. Seems like a trend, huh?

Is there a website set up for this event? I assume it's open for all sorts of vehicles.

if it wasnt 308 miles away i would.

Yeah, the school thing puts a little damper on what one can do...
School starts for me the 16th, and from there on I have no idea what it looks like

I would also like to know similar info to Flyboycoe, I mean is this just a big trail event or are we talking a EF set up run?

Just awaiting the details (trails, meeting location, hotel/camping sites)

I would absolutely love to come, and I plan on being there. Just gotta check that school schedule. Seems like a trend, huh?

Is there a website set up for this event? I assume it's open for all sorts of vehicles.
See the first picture? look closely for a white oval sign with a red jeep on it--on the right hand side--
That is where you go to rent a Jeep---when we were there it was 100 per day.
The trails are for everyone--oh man it is a blast!!

I think the last picture of the first post is a trail called "black bear"?

if you look close--you can see the rockslides crossing the trails--

they fix 'em like this. Driving over them is a big RUSH!!!

I think this picture is actually on a trail called "Tomboy" correct me if I am wrong

Attachments

• engineering.jpg
    engineering.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 571

Website - yeah this thread right here. All vehicles - I guess, traditionally the Labor Day Colorado run has been Ranger and Explorer based vehicles

I would also like to know similar info to Flyboycoe, I mean is this just a big trail event or are we talking a EF set up run?

"unofficial" EF run unless Rick shows up :D The Colorado Colors Run (CCR) used to be big in 99,00,01,02 and then kind of died off. Myself and mrboyle have been the ones who usually put the details together and set it up.

I think this picture is actually on a trail called "Tomboy" correct me if I am wrong

Yes and it is Imogene Pass from Telluride to Ouray

All right, well just incase you are trying to get who is all going, I would love to go but, I will not know for sure until the 16th when school gets going so don't count me in quite yet...

That rock slide fix up job does look like a RUSH to drive over...EKKK:eek:

Thanks for the heads up Brian. Char and I will figure out if we can make it. Not sure yet...

Brian, I'm going to post this up on CO4x4.org to see if anyone there might like to join us.

That is correct. It can be seen from Imogene pass. That is Bridal veil falls coming down from the power plant. I do not believe the power plant has been used in quite a few years. It makes a nice loop to go up Imogene and back down Black bear road. Haven't done those two since about 1998, i think it is time. I suspect that is a weekend i already have a prior engagement unfortunately. Hope all goes well for those who can make it.:thumbsup:

Events @ Colorado State
Monday, September 3, 2007
University Holiday

University offices are closed. Classes are not in session.

Fort Collins, CO US
Revise | New Directions
Ouray, CO US
Revise | New Directions

Total Est. Time: 6 hours, 19 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 361.27 miles

Man this is tempting! Gives me a month to get sliders and a belly skidplate built.

Man this is tempting! Gives me a month to get sliders and a belly skidplate built.

You really won't need either for the trails around Ouray. So don't sweat it if you can't get them before then, just come anyawy.

As long as I can swing the gas $$, I may definately be able to make this.... Thanks for assuming the CO run duties Brian, since I botched planning a run (I think I might be outta the woods on layoff concerns at work now... Finally! :D ).

I'll have to see how expensive rooms are and see if anyone wants to work out combined accomodations... I might just camp depending on $. My buddy did opher in a stock 4runner and he's not really a 4-wheeler and he had a blast (after the 2 flat tires from that gnarly black rock :eek: ).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll have to see how expensive rooms are and see if anyone wants to work out combined accomodations... I might just camp depending on $. My buddy did opher in a stock 4runner and he's not really a 4-wheeler and he had a blast (after the 2 flat tires from that gnarly black rock :eek: ).

I'd be interested in camping, I definately can't swing the cash for hotel rooms. its alot of gas to get from FoCo to Ouray

Back