• Register Today It's free!

00 Explorer cannot open the hood

heremite

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer 00 XLT
Few ago ago I oened the hood and closed it.
Now I cannot open the hood.
The cable seem to work but the latch don't release.
I tried to spray some WD-40, tried to push down the hood (in the same time pulling out the hood opener) to release some tension, without any success.
I read some where in this forum that it exist a manual release mechanism.
Can I access it from outside? How ?
If I stay in front of the vehicle, How can I access it and release it ?

MK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is no other acess.
I had a hard time understanding what you wrote.
If you have not done this yet try lifting up on the hood as some one else pulles on the latch relaese.
If that doesnt work you will have to resort to more creative methods.
The bolts that hold the latch on are 8mm Some creativity and a long extension and a swivel with a short socket you and loosen the two latch bolts. Some times once they are loose you can shimmy the hood open.

Good luck

mine too!!

I actually registered to this forumjust because my 98 xlt hood release isn't working....I was hoping to find an easy way to pop the hood....guess not...did your finally open?? :confused:

Your problem may be that the hood release cable has stretched. It happened to my 97. It got harder and harder to open. I finally had to replace the cable. I'd get a replacement cable, lubricate the release mechanism, get a friend to try to open the hood while you pull on the release. You may have to remove it from the dash and grab it with a pair of vise grips and pull like hell. Good luck.

Thanks David,
Yesterday I spray WD40 on the mechanism and this morning O wunder, it work.
I put some grease on the latch and the mechanism.
I seem to work.

MK

Thanks David,
Yesterday I spray WD40 on the mechanism and this morning O wunder, it work.
I put some grease on the latch and the mechanism.
I seem to work.

MK
the bodyshop i worked at in coastal california used spray lithium grease its thinned with a solvent to get in cracks and stays there unlike w-d or others.our time honored hood opening technique is to pull repeatedly on the release mechanism while someone pulls up on the hood and smacks over the latch area,works even on wrecks with bent hoods.you might check to see if the latch aligns well with the striker it will cause release problems and make the cable stretch from being bound up

Back