Ouray, CO Labor Day Weekend (CCR 07?) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ouray, CO Labor Day Weekend (CCR 07?)

Is anybody coming into mountain biking?

I plan on riding either Hartman Rocks (Gunnison), around Crested Butte or on the Monarch Crest Trail on Monday.

Talked to Doug tonight, he's still wanting to wheel Monday if others care to join.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would join you on the biking, but since I'm missing out on Saturday's run, I plan on wheeling Monday as well.

I would join you on the biking, but since I'm missing out on Saturday's run, I plan on wheeling Monday as well.

Thats cool, I can't 'wheel monday as I've gotta be at my great aunt/uncle's house in Florissan/Cripple Creek by mid afternoon.

Figure' I might as well mtn bike on my way there :)

I am still up for a little wheeling on Monday. Maybe Engineer pass and I can take the 'escape' route to Silverton so it wont be out of the way.

I am leaving in under an hour from here. If it is not pouring rain I think I will attempt a trail this afternoon, Owl Creek just north of Ridgway.

Man Hokie I wish that I could be right there behind you in my X when you head out, but no I get to work tomorrow!! WOOT WOOT for work!! lol

Awesome day today! Black Bear was so cool, there were 11 of us today in the group, 4 Explorer based and then Jeeps and a Toyota. Traffic was piling up behind us at the trail head so we were glad we got an early start.

Telluride was so busy in town, they are having their film festival this weekend. We stopped for a while in town and then headed up Imogene where we picked up a few more in our group.

No carnage to speak of, I have some nice rock rash on my window from a falling rock on Black Bear - luckily it didnt break it.

Im going through my photos and will post them after a while

My Pics: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Brian4x4/CCR2007/

Some teasers:

m_DSC01950.jpg

m_DSC01931.jpg

m_DSC01916.jpg

m_DSC01902.jpg

m_DSC01881.jpg

That has seriously got to be one of the greatest Exploder photos I have ever seen!!!

Looks like the trails are a lot of fun and not a lot of technical? Freakin' sweet :)

Sorry, no pics of the technical sections. It required my full attention so I didnt end up rolling several thoulsand feet into Telluride.

Today was very fun as well. We ended up doing about 100 miles, around 70 of which were on the trails and off pavement - Stony Pass to the water crossing and back, Animas Forks for lunch, Picayne and Placer Gulch, California Gulch, Hurricane Pass and Corkscrew Gulch. Started at 8 AM and ended just before 5.

I will add today's pics to my first link soon

Sundays pics are up in the same folder: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Brian4x4/CCR2007/

A few teasers from today:

this took skills, driving and picture taking at the same time :D

US550:
m_DSC02009.jpg

California Gulch/Pass:
m_DSC02002.jpg

Douglas in the stream crossing on Stony Pass:
m_DSC01991.jpg

Stony Pass:
m_DSC01965.jpg

And a video from the weekend:

Dude.... I am so stoked!!! What an awesome area!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Brian and Mike you guys are the heat, for leading... and thanks Brian for organizing the run.

Black Bear Pass and it's switchbacks = :eek: :eek: InFreakinSane!!!!

Holy terrifying experience Batman!

NOT WHEELBASE FRIENDLY ... but an absolute Blast ;)

Imogene and water pockets and creek crossings Rock!!! Awesome photos Brian, thanks. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to go back already, there is nothing like it. The scenery: nothing short of phenomenal every turn is a postcard shot. I will definately be going back and look forward to revival of yearly CCR trips. :thumbsup:

Beautiful!!

Looks like Hokie has a new avatar

How did the v8's do on gas up there you guys?

Just curious how much $$$ you burned up during the wheeling--so I can figure it in my plan--

OH--engine temps? anyone have any issues?

Attachments

• hokie steps.jpg
    hokie steps.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,970

This is my favorite picture I took. Great timing!

Bretteaten.jpg

Here are the best of the 250+ pictures I took in the one day I was there wheeling.

Ouray07_0040.jpg

Ouray07_0054.jpg

Ouray07_0063.jpg

Ouray07_0066.jpg

Ouray07_0071.jpg

Ouray07_0078.jpg

Ouray07_0083.jpg

Ouray07_0085.jpg

Ouray07_0089.jpg

Ouray07_0123.jpg

Ouray07_0183.jpg

Ouray07_0187.jpg

Ouray07_0195.jpg

Just got back around 11 today. Stayed with family near Divide, CO last night. Had an AMAZING time! This trip was worth every penny in gas/camping fees!

How did the v8's do on gas up there you guys?

Just curious how much $$$ you burned up during the wheeling--so I can figure it in my plan--
15 mpg getting to Ouray
13 mpg wheelin' (Tires at 20 psi)
16 mpg driving from Montrose to Divide, CO (not bad considering I had to climb out of the Gunnison valley and over Monarch pass)

And here's the kicker that I absolutely CAN NOT BELIEVE!!!!

Divide, CO (8800 ft) to Fort Collins, CO - 157.5 miles on 5.4 gallons of gas :eek: (Driving 75-80 mph from Colorado Springs >> Denver >> FoCo)

If you don't want to do the math its 29 MPG :eek: :eek: :eek:

I ran my tires at 40 psi, but that is unbelievable mileage!!!!!!!!!

OH--engine temps? anyone have any issues?

Temp gage didn't move at all. Stayed a hair below 1/2 way. We did see on TJ boiling over on the climb up Imogene from Yankee Boy. He even had an aluminum core radiator.... :dunno:

I would not run these trails in a AWD 5.0 - you would probably over-heat your tranny on the climbs.

Get this though, 4LOW and 1st gear was usually TOO LOW for Jeff and I. The truck would almost crawl too slow like that. Manuall 4406 ROCKS!

Pics soon...

AWESOME trip. Thanks so much to Brian, Mike, Doug, and Brett for a kick ass weekend.

I got 18.3 mpg indicated on the trip out (~270 miles) accounting for my tire size that's closer to 19 mpg, and I got about 18.5 indicated on the way home.

And that 4406 in low range with the tranny in 1st gear was way too slow of a crawl to keep up with the rest of the group (who was on their brakes most of the time due to some slow jeepers). So I was either giving it gas downhill in 1st gear, or on my brakes in 2nd gear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't believe NOBODY mentioned the small-Mid-size BLACK BEAR that came through Brett and I's camp on the first night!! :eek: :eek:

No joke, as irony would have it, on the first night (the next morning we were to run Black Bear Pass :) :thumbsup: ) after most went to bed @ around 12:31 am, a s-m sized black bear (Brett estimates 150-200 pounder) surprised me with some twig and branch snaps... with no lights on... I got my headlamp on and looked over my left shoulder to see a bear 25-30 ft max away lookin' right at me!!! Needless to say after 20 or so seconds of me sitting and him just sitting there; I backed up to tap Bretts hood and wake him up to say "Dude... Dude... Brett we gotta Bear here!!!!! :eek: :eek: He'll mention the rest but suffice to say he got to see him to. After my heart rate went down from 120 or so... I slept in my tent :D :p: for about 5 hrs of sleep in time to get up to run Black Bear Pass and Imogene :thumbsup:

I'll calculate my mileage tomorrow, but I got 18.5 going out there (@ as it turned out 32 psi) , 13.5 on the trails (@ 22 psi) , and it looks like close to 20+ on the way home (@ 36.5 psi).

Back