RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

That sounds kinda expensive. I was hoping to just buy the mounts/bracketry and shocks and just slap it in. Since its just a street truck all I want is the smoother coil-over ride. On a related note would I be able to buy the upper and lower shock mounts and find a shorter coil-over shock so I don't have to get the drop brackets too? I would like to keep my truck close to the height its at now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the coilover shocks themselves give radflo a call. They will make you custom length shocks for no extra charge. Im going with a 7" travel shock, that seems to be what fits best after cycling the suspension and looking at the room..

Can this be used for a 2wd explorer? I would like to get the ride of coil-overs on my truck.

YES!!! I am currently runing my 4x4 as a 2wd because I am waiting to get my gears in before I put the front diff back in. So you will have no problems with a 2wd explorer!!!

CMAX

That sounds kinda expensive. I was hoping to just buy the mounts/bracketry and shocks and just slap it in. Since its just a street truck all I want is the smoother coil-over ride. On a related note would I be able to buy the upper and lower shock mounts and find a shorter coil-over shock so I don't have to get the drop brackets too? I would like to keep my truck close to the height its at now.

It depends on how high your X sits now!!! Is it lowered or stock. If its stock you could go with a 6.5" if not smaller shock and use a shorter spring. Wait and check out my thread that I will be posting soon. Its in progress!! It might help you determine what size shock will be best for your application.

CMAX

Stock Shock:
Compressed Length:13.500"
Extended length:17.875"
Travel Length:4.375"

Fox 2.0 Pro Series Coil-Over Emulsion 6.5"
Extended Length: 19.35"
Collasped Length: 12.85"
Travel: 6.50"
Shaft Size: 5/8

Fox 2.0 Pro Series Coil-Over Emulsion 5.0"
Extended Length: 16.40"
Collasped Length: 11.30"
Travel: 5.10"
Shaft Size: 5/8

http://www.shop.downsouthmotorsports.com/category.sc?categoryId=7

Would one of these work? They seem to be close enough to stock shock lengths. Would the mounts help make up the difference?

The 5 inch travel shocks would probably work the best for factory suspension since the top mount is about 1.5" lower then stock with the RCD bracket (so you would need slightly shorter compressed and extended then stock).

YES!!! I am currently runing my 4x4 as a 2wd because I am waiting to get my gears in before I put the front diff back in. So you will have no problems with a 2wd explorer!!!

CMAX

How are you driving your truck without the front diff? I thought you had to have your CV bolted into the hub to hold it together?

Or are the CV's only needed when the diff is still in the vehicle :scratch:
Chad

I new someone was going to ask me that....hahaha!!! Anyways its all possible if you have blown two cv's before. I saved all the parts from those blown cv's. All you have to do is use the outer cv cups to preload the wheel bearings. I just have those in at the moment. Still rides great, just 2wd though. That's the part that sucks. I am getting gears in the next few weeks.

CMAX

how is the write-up going ?

how is the write-up going ?

I'm almost done. I had to work the last couple weekends. I will work every evening this week to get it done. I have started, I just had to redo the drawings for the RCD brackets and take a few after pictures.

Just to get an idea, How many of you plan on doing this mod? Do you guys want me to post the CAD files in my writeup?

Please let me know.

CMAX

The more info the better i say. Then it can always be referred to by anyone wishing to do this down the road. I'm looking forward to your thread.

Do I go unheard...

I asked about QA1 shocks back on page 7 or 8 or something like that but no one ever responded to my interests. However I did some research and I did find this. QA1 is a prime supplier of shocks for NASCAR and NASCAR truck serries. I havent done my conversion yet but I bought a pair of QA1 shocks... 7" travel, red aluminum threaded body ... about $175 for the shock and spacer kits. the best part about QA1 shocks is that they can be mounted upside down. In my opinon this is a great thing. It helps prevent the coils getting caught on the axle or anything else. If you want the websites for QA1 or their distributers let me know.

I asked about QA1 shocks back on page 7 or 8 or something like that but no one ever responded to my interests. However I did some research and I did find this. QA1 is a prime supplier of shocks for NASCAR and NASCAR truck serries. I havent done my conversion yet but I bought a pair of QA1 shocks... 7" travel, red aluminum threaded body ... about $175 for the shock and spacer kits. the best part about QA1 shocks is that they can be mounted upside down. In my opinon this is a great thing. It helps prevent the coils getting caught on the axle or anything else. If you want the websites for QA1 or their distributers let me know.

I saw that they have a stud end for the shocks too. Would I be able to use the stud converter instead of using the rcd upper shock mount?

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...0SDM&N=700+400026+4294925130+115&autoview=sku

Youd have to gusset the stock tower for sure. Those shocks would be good for a street truck, but im not sure how theyd do on an offroad rig that see's any kinds of abuse. Also make sure you plate or gusset the underside of your stock lower arms.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Humm, thats really neat- I'd guess you'd still have to gusset the shock tower, but that would eliminate the RCD part. Humm.

Are the QA1 shocks 2.0 or 2.5?

They use 2.5 I/D springs so i'm guessing 2.0

Back