• Register Today It's free!

Camber alignment

leefhead

Reaction score
City, State
Sudbury,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
is there a way to fix the camber on your own? my front drivers side tire is extremely cambered, half of the tire is new, other half is a racing slick....i got my new tires (LT31*10.5*15 AT's) ready to put on, but i don't want the same thing to happen. this is for a 1994 ex EB 4x4 4door. i would bring it in but i'm very low on cash, so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you checked your ball joints for play?

If you don't correct the camber then you will obviously ruin the new tires you have waiting to put on.. As mentioned by green99_svt you will need to check your ball joints to see if they are worn.. if so then you will not be able to properly align your vehicle..

An alignment should only cost around $50... They only adjust camber and toe on a 1st generation Explorer.

All that being said check out Aligning your car at home for some info on trying this yourself..

If you don't correct the camber then you will obviously ruin the new tires you have waiting to put on..

yeah, thats why i posted this thread :p i dont even have 50$ right now for an alignment, never mind gas to put in the truck X| havent been employed in a few months, starting again on the 2nd. should be getting some cash friday by selling one of my other cars....that guide seems pretty complicated, and im not 100% sure on how to check my ball joints...though i do know what it feels like when they break, and the tire falls off, ripping the axle out of the tranny....bad....lol. allrighty, thanks anyways guys.

As a ghetto temp fix you could always remount your current tires inside out so the high tread will now wear and give the low thread side a break ;) As for checking your ball joints you just need to jack up the front tire and grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock.. Then try pushing or pulling on the tire (it shouldn't move). Any movement beyond 1/8" in/out means its time for new ball-joints..

As a ghetto temp fix you could always remount your current tires inside out so the high tread will now wear and give the low thread side a break ;) As for checking your ball joints you just need to jack up the front tire and grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock.. Then try pushing or pulling on the tire (it shouldn't move). Any movement beyond 1/8" in/out means its time for new ball-joints..

yeah, i was thinking of flipping the tire, but i got a full size spare sitting in the back of my truck, so i think ill just switch it out completely cause im gonna need a full size for my new tires anyways. ill check out my ball joints when i change them, probally shortly. thanks for the help.

The camber on a 1st gen Explorer adjusts with a tapered sleeve that has an offset hole. It is possible to get one with a larger offset to remove camber when the front end is lifted (to a certain extent).

The upper ball joint fits into this sleeve. Turning it forces the ball joint in and out, which adjusts the camber.

NAPA has a range of different camber adjusters for 1st Gen Explorers... You can get all the way from 0 degrees to 1.5 degrees.

The NAPA part number for the +1.5 degree unit is: NCP 2641988

NCP 2641515
Camber / Caster Bushing - Front Suspension20.00
u_clear.gif
24.37Comment: OEM Type 0 Degree Contains Pinch Bolt And Nut
u_clear.gif
NCP 2641516
u_clear.gif
24.37Comment: OEM Type Plus or Minus 3/16 Degree Contains Pinch Bolt And Nut
u_clear.gif
NCP 2641517
u_clear.gif
24.37Comment: OEM Type Plus or Minus 3/8 Degree Contains Pinch Bolt And Nut
u_clear.gif
NCP 2641518
u_clear.gif
24.37Comment: OEM Type Plus or Minus 1/2 Degree Contains Pinch Bolt And Nut
u_clear.gif
NCP 2641519
u_clear.gif
24.37Comment: OEM Type Plus or Minus 3/4 Degree Contains Pinch Bolt And Nut
u_clear.gif
NCP 2641520
u_clear.gif
24.37Comment: OEM Type Plus or Minus 7/8 Degree Contains Pinch Bolt And Nut
u_clear.gif
NCP 2641521
u_clear.gif
24.37Comment: OEM Type Plus or Minus 1 Degree Contains Pinch Bolt And Nut
u_clear.gif
NCP 2641537
u_clear.gif
19.97Comment: OEM Type Plus or Minus 1 1/2 Degree To Be Superseded Pinch Bolt And Nut Not Included Message from Store: Superseded by NCP 2641988

well, my ball joint is fine, no play at all. i think im gonna wait till friday and just get the alignment done professionally, dont really want to be screwing around with something that'll potentionally make my tire fall off during use =/

Back