• Register Today It's free!

Pinout Diagram for EEC-V ECM

FloridaNative516

Reaction score
City, State
Hobe Sound, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Engine / Tranny
Does anyone have a pinout diagram for a wiring harness that would be used for a 1998 Explorer with EEC-V computer with catchcode NRT1?

I'm converting from EEC-V to EEC-IV in a different application and want to cross-reference between the two.

I've checked on Ryan's two websites (Fordfuelinjection.com and RJMinjectiontech) and can only find the 87-93 EEC-IV pin descriptions.

Thank you,

Warm in Florida.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you swapping parts into/from? If you are doing a swap of the 98 302 into an old Mustang I understand. Don't kill the OBDII PCM system unless you cannot make it work, it is far better than OBDI PCM's. Good luck,

What are you swapping parts into/from? If you are doing a swap of the 98 302 into an old Mustang I understand. Don't kill the OBDII PCM system unless you cannot make it work, it is far better than OBDI PCM's. Good luck,

Hey CDW6212R,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we have been having problems. This is actually a 5.0 setup with a AT from a 1998 Explorer that has been transplanted into a Miata. I have another thread in this section and it details my setup in the car. The NRT1 PCM is acting up so we think there is something not in sync in the system. We've tried another PCM and still the problem. Does not shift properly and we have a surging problem with PCM going back and forth from open loop to closed loop.

The engine was originally in a different Miata that was set up as an A9L catchcode EEC-IV using T-5z manual tranny and distributor. I'm thinking of taking my car and going back to the setup from its old life in another car.

So, what I'm trying to do is be able to use the harness from the EEC-V and use just the required wires/pins to setup a EEC-IV. I have a Tremec T5 available to me and can get a hold of a A9L computer.

I see, the harnesses are enough different that using a 89-93 Mustang AT set would be easier. Those are not hard to come by.

The OBDII is more complicated, I have read of some of the issues from other members transplanting the 96-01 302's into other vehicles.

It sounds like you have gotten around the PATS module already, the engine wouldn't start without that all worked out, or disabled. Each PCM is matched to a PATS module, unless you use a Ford specialty tool to reprogram, no other PCM will work. The PCM and PATS compare verify the matching of each other, and the keys, each run cycle.

Did you get it going enough to pull any CEL codes from the OBDII port? Most of those other swaps were helped a lot by the CEL codes. Many members here have been helpful in working those things out. The charging circuit of these Explorers has a connection with the dash gauge which is needed. It may not have anything to do with what you are dealing with, but it's another subject that will come up.

If you are as close to having it all installed as OBDII, as it sounds, you would be wise to make it happen. The OBDII can be programmed to handle any engine combination, and far cheaper than EECIV requires. Good luck,

Don,

I've got a SCT Superchip installed and I default the EGR and disable the PATS thru the chip. I've had a shop go thru each and every wire and sensor and I don't think they are pulling any codes. I've got a reader and will recheck when I take the car out. It does run but not optimal. Dyno shop using XCal2 cannot lock the AT in 3rd gear and cannot input any tranny parameters so something is not working.

I know the engine ran great with a EFI, distributor, and T5 manual tranny. Trying to run it with AT, coil packs, and EEC-V is creating some type of problem. I've spent over 3 grand troubleshooting and thats why I'm thinking of going back to what work before.

Yes I understand, integrating different systems and wiring is nothing like it was 25 years ago. I hope to swap the OBDII onto my 91 Mark VII before working on that 302/AOD. I wish that there were better answers, it does take a lot of patience and research. It sounds like you have done what you logically could. Keep us updated, I like to learn anything new. Regards,

I can send connector pinout for the PCM that has functional IDs. You may have to wade through many other pages of factory manual to figure out what the descriptions really mean...

Back