All terrain or Mud terrain | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All terrain or Mud terrain

Just wondering on views about the bf goodrich all terrain and the bf goodrich mud terrain. My current tires aren't bf goodrich all terrain, but it is almost the same pattern and i havn't really noticed that much different between them and the old goodyear wrangler AP i had on before.

So i was thinking i might get the Mud terrains next time, as they look nicer etc. I was wondering how they are on the road, whether you leave the road in the wet, etc. and noise issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, my last tyres were part worns.. and they came with the wheels.. I got them to replace the chrome 3 spokes that were on.

they lasted exactly a year.. and I wasn't overly impressed with them. These have better on road grip, obviously there are greater vibration n road noise, but I can live with that..

The offroad performance is truly outstanding! I'm really happy with them and can't wait to give them a proper "offing"

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to drive through anything with those Broncos. The tyres shops always talk about remoulds not balancing as well due to having a lot of extra weight.

Does anyone rate the Goodyear MT/Rs? I see that BFG have a second generation of the mud terrains out, the KM2. But as they have yet to release a full size guide in the us, i think it will be some time before they even introduce it in the uk, as it isn't even listed on the BFG uk website

well, my last tyres were part worns.. and they came with the wheels.. I got them to replace the chrome 3 spokes that were on.

they lasted exactly a year.. and I wasn't overly impressed with them. These have better on road grip, obviously there are greater vibration n road noise, but I can live with that..

The offroad performance is truly outstanding! I'm really happy with them and can't wait to give them a proper "offing"

Si

Would you recommend them for a 2-3 times a month soft-core off-roader?:p:

Yes, definitely, I've not done any serious offroading as yet.. just very muddy fields and the beach!! the field in question was the one I got stuck in on my first ever time off road.. had to be winched off by a suzuki vitara.. so I vowed never to go again till I had proper rubber.

Happy to say they perform amazingly!!

Si

Yes, definitely, I've not done any serious offroading as yet.. just very muddy fields and the beach!! the field in question was the one I got stuck in on my first ever time off road.. had to be winched off by a suzuki vitara.. so I vowed never to go again till I had proper rubber.

Si
Looks like I know what I'm getting when my taxes coem back. :thumbsup:

Si
Looks like I know what I'm getting when my taxes coem back. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Double post my bad.

has anyone ever heard of the dakota definitys... how are those???

I've got MT grizzly claws on mine and although the road noise is bad, they're amazing offroad...

I'm not looking back

Si

can i get a quote on how much for a set? thats stock lift right?

well dang i live in the states! i'll have to keep looking...

My buddy has a set of Truxus MT and he been complaining about the wear on them lately i think he had them barely a year or so and there almost gone and these had seen more street miles than off-road miles.

We are also running a set of Trxus Mt's.. and Yes. they are not lasting anywhere as long as the last set of BFT AT Ko's..

the BFG AT Ko's were lasting about 40k miles with enough tread left on them to sell at the swap meet (4/32).. Also, we have a detroit locked rear so we wear the rear must faster than the front..

The trxus seem to be wearing to the point that they will last us 30k miles. They dig/grab better than the AT KO tires did But that also means they "seem" to dig in sand more than the AT.. and I haven't taken them to Glamis or other Dune type places to see if they work better when spinning compared to the AT tires.

~Mark

I own both BF. They are both an awesome tire.

The T/A KO are great winter snow/ rain tires, they ride very quite, and have strong sidewalls. Excellent dry road traction. Love them.

The MTA/KM2 are an aggressive mud tire, they can tear through the terrain, climb, and with a big lug sidewall, they get you out of deep loose stuff. The sidewalls are super tough, stronger than the T/A KO. They make much more road noise than the T/A KO. I can take a sharp 25 mph curve at 45 mph no problems, so the dry traction is there. In wet weather, I still have excellent traction. Love them as well.

I own 2 different gen Explorers, 1st gen with 31" TA/KO. 2nd gen with 33" MTA KM2.

Tread pattern difference, tread depth difference.
picture.php

Lovin the opinions. Im curious to see more opinions and experiences. Keep em comin!

I had 33x12.5 all terrains and loved them. They could barely be heard on the road, and in dry stuff the traction was awesome. They worked well in the mud but not as well as a mud terrain tire would, im sure.

If you plan on driving mostly on the street I'd go with the all terrains.

Back