331 stroker vs 347 stroker??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

331 stroker vs 347 stroker???

Hi,
I'm new here my name is Wes. I have a 1996 X 5.0.

I had a question I've read that the 347 stroker has had problems in the past with short engine life and increased oil burning. Caused from the connecting rod pin position and other from side load placed on cylinder walls. I have read that Coast High Performance has fixed the problem with their kit.

I'm about to get another car and let this sit and build it I'm just tryin to make my mind up right now what I want to go with. Thanks for any input.

-Wes-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those oiling problems are a concern of the past with any reputable engine builder. Go 347 all the way.

welcome wes

Thanks for the links I'll definitely be reading on them some more.

I'm glad you said that Rocket. Cause I really wanted the 347 but I don't wanna put all my money into it and it poop out on me 50,000 miles down the road. Its gonna be a slow build when i start it, I just wanna know what I want the when I start. Finally got my truck payed off today and about to get a daily driver and let it sit. And about to start my new job making more money so hopfully I'll start soon.

Now if I want to put some boost on it. I was thinking Eaton charger from explorer express. I know its not big boost like some of y'alls but will the cylinder walls handle that??? I'm no expert with stuff, so I'm learning as I go and my dad is helping me.:D

Thanks

What is the best cam for a 347 stroker in a explorer, is 110 lobe separation the best or 114 which would u guys pick, and the truck has spray to ,the cam they told me to install was a 35-775-8

What is the best cam for a 347 stroker in a explorer, is 110 lobe separation the best or 114 which would u guys pick, and the truck has spray to ,the cam they told me to install was a 35-775-8

It would be a good idea if you created your own thread to ask your questions in so you do not bring this one off topic.

I went 331 and burn less than a cup of oil over a thousand miles, never bothered to research it and not worth it to me over 16 cubic inches to chance it. A lot of guys say the side loading of the 347 and thinner material on pistons above the top ring lands isnt so great under any detonation especially with a power adder. A few companies say they have made the 347 as reliable as any other combo, great:D.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...=CC&Product_Code=35-775-8&Category_Code=FRDST

If that cam was ground on a 110 or so centerline I would say no, wouldnt have any vacuum, its on 114 though, see how the Mustang guys like it. If these trucks had electronic assisted brakes there wouldnt be an issue.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=932490 , sounds like vacuum at idle might be on the iffy side...

I'm about to build a 332, I chose that because I know I want higher cylinder pressures with boost. There is a little more room with a 332 versus a 347 to add piston compression height. If you don't push the pressures too much, select the 347. I suggest that you avoid the EE supercharger for anything except a Saleen Explorer XP8 restoration. It makes low boost and little additional power, for its cost. I do not see $3800+ for 75hp or so as a good deal. I expect to spend around $2000 and gain 200-350hp. Any custom built supercharging will net you more than the EE kit. If you are serious wait for someone to sell you their used supercharger parts.

It only costs about $100 or so extra for a custom cam. I would say for any engine, deal with a real cam expert, and have a cam designed for your vehicle. Regards,

Yeah I read on one of the links they gave that if 347 is built right you could add a lil boost and not worry. But when it comes to money I can't afford to let it blow on my after its complete.

I was just using the X-charger as an example. It doesn't really seem worth it. When, like you say, get a Vortech or Procharger even cheaper.

Yeah I read on one of the links they gave that if 347 is built right you could add a lil boost and not worry. But when it comes to money I can't afford to let it blow on my after its complete.

I was just using the X-charger as an example. It doesn't really seem worth it. When, like you say, get a Vortech or Procharger even cheaper.

You can boost a properly built 347 to the moon if you want to. I have personally seen boosted 347's putting down well over 1,000rwhp. If they are built to be boost friendly then they will be no problem.

You can boost a properly built 347 to the moon if you want to. I have personally seen boosted 347's putting down well over 1,000rwhp. If they are built to be boost friendly then they will be no problem.

In an aftermarket block :)

In an aftermarket block :)

***Grey Poupon*** "But of course"... ;)

That stocker block will snap like a twig at power levels far below what I was talking about.

***Grey Poupon*** "But of course"... ;)

That stocker block will snap like a twig at power levels far below what I was talking about.

I am about to make that next step- I got my new headers on the way along with a MP T70. I am shooting for about 600 at the wheels this time. I was looking into building a Boss (original) blocked 331, but I dont know if I will run into oil pan clearance issues. I may go with the new Boss block and GT40x heads.

Hi,
I'm new here my name is Wes. I have a 1996 X 5.0.

I had a question I've read that the 347 stroker has had problems in the past with short engine life and increased oil burning. Caused from the connecting rod pin position and other from side load placed on cylinder walls. I have read that Coast High Performance has fixed the problem with their kit.

I'm about to get another car and let this sit and build it I'm just tryin to make my mind up right now what I want to go with. Thanks for any input.

-Wes-

Wonder it they went with a longer rod by moving the wrist pin futher up in the piston? This would decrease the side thrust and also at the same time come up with a better connecting rod angle to crankshaft location at optimum combustion during the downward thrust. Might even have offset the wrist pin towards the inside of block more and then added some kind of thrust buttons on the thrust side of pistons. Just a hunch.

The 347's use the same pistons as a 332, thus there is no strength to be gained in combustion pressure control. The 347's have been around long enough to see how the cylinder wear and oil control is, compared to a 332. There is no evidence to say that one is better/worse than the other. I'm building a 347.

Justin, contact Camshaft Innovations about heads and cams, Jay told me a good bit about heads and their designs. Many are copies of others, and the new Ford head(X340 or something) is a design copy of another, they have worked out a deal to avoid lawsuits. Jay has dealt with all of the big heads, I knew that he could evaluate what I needed. He was honest with me and the head that he suggested was one of two that I was considering.

Buy a Dart Sportsman block if you can, they are a hair better, and you can use their large version and run 4.120 bores easily. FYI, the steel Explorer 302 pan has more clearance for a girdle and the mains. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI, the steel Explorer 302 pan has more clearance for a girdle and the mains. Regards,

I was more worried about the rear main seal of the Boss block working with the Explorer pan.

Back