95exploderboy's Full Width SAS | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95exploderboy's Full Width SAS

Well I've been collecting ideas and parts for a long time now and its about time I started posting something. First off I'm gonna say that this might take a while because of the frequency that I go away for work, but I will make sure to keep everyone posted as I make progress. I have nearly all of the major parts bought and sitting in the shop, so now all I need is the time to put my SAS "kit" together.

What I have planned...

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Warn Premium Hubs
Stock Shafts for now
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Toyota Steering box
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

The plan is to use the 79 upper coil buckets, not sure how I'm compensating for the full width yet. Gonna try to space the bottom coil mounts in enough to keep the springs straight. The arms will be located via a new transmission cross member/RA mount. The arms measure around 40 inches that puts them right under the transfer case. The rear will be SOA, shackles will be adjusted to level everything out. Still not sure of what will happen to the body lift, I'll see how I feel about it after I wheel it a few times.

Random pics...

Something is missing
DSCN0088.JPG

Sweet extended jack stands. They are good for about 30 inches and have a broad stable base
DSCN0093.JPG

What I ended up with:

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Drive Slugs
Alloy USA inner/outer axle shafts with Spicer 760 joints
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Full Hydro with single sided ram
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

Ta Da! :D:D

DSCN0885.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just ordered some wheels from Summit

I'll be picking up my bead lock rings from A to Z Fabrication next weekend. I'm also glad I got a buddy at Fastenal. 150 grade 8 bolts, washers and lock nuts can be expensive.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Whats the final color going to be?

This

Ok, it won't be that. I dunno Something more fun than black though. I want the paint to be tough though/ I think I'll look at TSC for some tractor paint or something similar.

The wheels are going back to Summit. They ended up being reverse dish which isn't supposed to be very good for bead locks. They were also scratched up from shipping, not that I wasn't going to paint them anyways, but it was a good excuse to get them back on Summit's dime. I'm going to look for something with a 3.5" BS. From what I've gathered, thats the most BS you can get before its a reversed dish wheel.

I think I can say that those Alloy USA shafts are def. BEEF. I beat the heck out of them this weekend and they didn't complain yet. Full throttle bouncy hill climbs and we are still good. Gonna have to get them in some dry the rocks for my final decision on them, but so far so good.

I got to do some good ole western PA wheelin on Sunday. I ended up with hole in 2 of my sidewalls. They look like they can be patched from the inside, but these tires just aren't gettin it like they used to, so I'm def looking for a new set soon...

The Group
jeep032.jpg

jeep036.jpg

jeep135.jpg

Second flat :fire:
jeep074.jpg

jeep027.jpg

The rest of the album

Things I want to happen before I get out again.

- Kill the body lift

- Flip my shocks. Didn't realize that they could be put on upside down. I think this is why my ride is so bouncy and wheel hoppy.

- Get my darn front wheel studs to stay in the hub/rotor. Are there oversized replacements?

- Better tires, or at least patch my current ones.

i love the pics.. your rig looks great.. specially cuz mine is the same just not as cool aka SASed.... dont forget to let me know when you get that bl out.. i still want it!
Thanks again!

*ahem* coughcoughMICKEY'S!coughcough.. They're beefy, have excellent snow and rock traction, and a ton of sidewall plys :D I got mine off Ebay for something like $800 + shipping, but then again, I have 17" rims so 15"ers would be cheaper.

What club did you go wheeling with? Looks like a pretty diverse bunch :thumbsup:

Edit: Did an Ebay search, and I've never heard of these before but.... THEY HAVE SKULLS IN THE SIDEWALL!!!! :bounce: :D
996b_1_sbl.jpg

I think those^ are the "Rock Crusher" or something .. i thought they we Dick Cepek but could be wrong:dunno:
I believe Peterson's 4wor did a tire test on them and they said they were ok.. not great on road though... but how much road does the ex see?
I also think they said they didnt flex very well either!
They look way cool though!

Rusty, you are still in line for the BL when its out. Not sure when it will be, probably a couple weeks.

I plan on going with something pretty agressive for the tires. This thing is trailered, so street wear isn't an issue. If IZ gets his new ones soon I may just go with his for the time being. If I go new I think it will be some kinda swamper: Irock, TSL or some TSL SXs

Most of they guys were from the Black List Wheelers Assn. There were also guys from Penn State 4x4. I used to wheel out there when I was in college so it was good to get back on those trails.

Spas, Those Skulls scare me....

Yes

Definately want the BL.. whenever you get it out.. i wont be putting it in right now so whenever is fine.. just let me know!
Preciate it!
I can't wait to SAS mine.. but i think itl be a few years yet!
You see the thread i started for a Rausch Creek Run on May 3? You able to go? I would love to see your ex in action!

I've got these as a 35/12.5/15. They used to work pretty darn well with my old setup. But on the snowy rocks at Rausch and this past weekend I just wasn't as impressed. Maybe it has something do do with my different gearing, I dunno. They were great for a daily driver / wheeler, but if I'm trailering and can run big aggressive meats, then I'm gonna do it.

so what was the old setup? tt/shackles 3" bl and 35's?
if so did you have to trim much for the 35's?

When running the 35's did you regear before the SAS or stick with stock?

Was it a D/D?

I tried looking around but didn't see it noted here. sorry if i am being annoying .. just trying to see my options..looking at some of your previous runs .. looks like it worked well for you!

Old lift setup was TT/Shackles and 3" BL
F/R Aussie lockers
35s on 15x8 steel wheels

This was my DD but I did a great deal of wheeling with it. Only thing that ever went wrong was that I had to replace a few CV shafts due to the front locker. Its easy to carry spares and they can be swapped out in less than 30 min. I got my axles from Autozone because they had a lifetime warranty. I had to do a decent bit of trimming and hammering on the rear part of the front fenders/wheel well. I also removed the front Tupperware and trimmed the front bumper. The picture above with the second flat kinda shows you how much i trimmed out of the back of the fender.

This kinda shows the clearance and how I cut the front bumper.
flex2.jpg

For those of you who are running Explorer Pro Comp shocks, which way do you have the body of the shock oriented. I installed mine with the body on the top, but was told that I may have done it wrong and that is why I have such a bouncy ride. Can anyone shed any light on this? sn0border88 didn't you say you have these shocks?

I think it might just be that the Procomp shocks don't have enough damping for our heavy @$$ trucks... Morgan's quite bouncy front shocks are Rookie's old 5000's. I have cheap stock Autozone shocks on the rear, and oddly enough they make it seem as though the rear jumps a lot less than the front. I have his mounted piston up in the rear and piston down in front, though, so maybe that's a contributing factor?

When it's warmer outside I'd like to shave off the shock towers and go with a dual shock hoop instead just to cut down on the off-road hops.

I have ES3000s that were meant for the rear of a lifted Super Duty. I'm gonna hope that they are strong enough, but you should be on to something. My springs are also a lot bouncier than rear Super Duty springs would be. I'm gonna swap um around and see what I get....

my procomps work fine when they are attatched, which isnt very often.

Unless specifically stated otherwise the shock body should be mounted on the bottom, it has somethin gto do with the oil and dampening of the shocks

I wanted to comment on the d44 lock outs. Any d44 that was driven by a np203 (full time) came from the factory with lock out slugs and those smooth hub covers. A word of caution these will fit in backwords and not fully enguage the axle splines. Good job:thumbsup:

Back