Fuel Rail Install Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Rail Install Question

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XLT
I replaced my lower intake manifold gasket on my 92 explorer (4.0 OHV), so I figured I'd go ahead and replace the valve cover gaskets as well as the upper intake manifold gaskets. Everything went fine, except I installed the fuel rail after getting new o-rings for my fuel injectors, and the two back ones keep leaking when I pressurize the fuel system. Is there a special way to install the fuel rail, like a tightening sequence? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem when I installed new injectors on my exploder. What I did was go down to the auto parts store and buy the green o-rings, like the ones on the original injectors. The rebuilt ones came with a tan o-ring and the o-ring was spongy and would not seal properly. The green o-ring is a little harder and meant to seal in a high pressure environment. My two cents.

Thanks

I appreciate the input, gentlemen. I got them seated properly the third go around, except for one front injector that had a gash in the O-ring that I missed. I pull the whole thing off, and discovered that I have a cracked injector on the back anyway. Man, what a day. Luckily I have a truck I can use this week until I can get to it next weekend.

Last time I put the top end of the motor together I decided to put the fuel rail/injectors onto the intake before I put the lower intake on. This made life so much easier... I will definatly be doing it that way from now on..

~Mark

when i did my injectors i used 30w motor oil to seat them in the fuel rail worked good they seated good with no leaks ,my neighbor told me not to use silicone lub to do this tho that silicone will f'--up an injector !

when i did my injectors i used 30w motor oil to seat them in the fuel rail worked good they seated good with no leaks ,my neighbor told me not to use silicone lub to do this tho that silicone will f'--up an injector !

How so?

ahh well i just dabbed a little oil on the o-rings and seated them that way but as for the silicone ,dont really know to be honest...i guess the silicone could congel around the injector outlet ?!?! i just went off what my neighbor told me because it was my first time doing injectors,i replaced all of mine from a company called www.partstrain.com .they saved me alot of money compared to buying from autozone or advanceauto.

ahh well i just dabbed a little oil on the o-rings and seated them that way but as for the silicone ,dont really know to be honest...i guess the silicone could congel around the injector outlet ?!?! i just went off what my neighbor told me because it was my first time doing injectors,i replaced all of mine from a company called www.partstrain.com .they saved me alot of money compared to buying from autozone or advanceauto.

The only reason I ask about the silicone is that's what I used to lube the o-rings when installing mine. Hasn't hurt the injectors, I just put enough to coat the o-ring and it doesn't really get on to the injector.

Back