Painting [rattle can] | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting [rattle can]

p100ki has a great idea and it will probably suit your needs better than rattle can will. One of my best friends painted his toyota truck with a flat black tractor paint from Tractor Supply Company 2 years ago and it still looks the same as the day after he did it. And it was VERY cheap in comparison. (I think it only took him a quart or somewhere right around there.)

It is DEFINITELY an option you should look into.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

p100ki has a great idea and it will probably suit your needs better than rattle can will. One of my best friends painted his toyota truck with a flat black tractor paint from Tractor Supply Company 2 years ago and it still looks the same as the day after he did it. And it was VERY cheap in comparison. (I think it only took him a quart or somewhere right around there.)

It is DEFINITELY an option you should look into.

i will. right now im comparing money still. i dont need a show car, or it to look stock either. just decent.

I can rattlecan a car and make it look good but it actually costs more money and time than the method i posted earlier. The main advantage on buying the expensive spray is the good nozzle which the dollar paints don't have and it is a must if you want something that looks decent. You have a compressor so for $60 you could have a decent paintjob, $40 gun and $20 for paint and thinner.

The tan/beige car i posted earlier was less than two quarts of paint, two coats. Just something to think about. If i was closer i would bring my guns and paint it for you but the method i use is pretty foolproof.

I can rattlecan a car and make it look good but it actually costs more money and time than the method i posted earlier. The main advantage on buying the expensive spray is the good nozzle which the dollar paints don't have and it is a must if you want something that looks decent. You have a compressor so for $60 you could have a decent paintjob, $40 gun and $20 for paint and thinner.

The tan/beige car i posted earlier was less than two quarts of paint, two coats. Just something to think about. If i was closer i would bring my guns and paint it for you but the method i use is pretty foolproof.

could you post here, or even PM me just more details. almost a step by step to what you did. all the little things, i like to know.

Prep wise just scuff it up with some 600 grit and wipe it down good to get all the dust off. Pour your paint into a container and start adding thinner and stirring with a paint stick. You want the paint a bit thicker than water, i've never actually measured but its probably 60% paint and 40% thinner. Tractor paint covers extremely well and one coat is usually enough but two coats is fine, second coat should go on 20 mins or so after the first.

If you used too much thinner it may take a little longer to dry but usually it is dry by the next day. If you get it just right it will be dry to the touch in a couple hours.

Prep wise just scuff it up with some 600 grit and wipe it down good to get all the dust off. Pour your paint into a container and start adding thinner and stirring with a paint stick. You want the paint a bit thicker than water, i've never actually measured but its probably 60% paint and 40% thinner. Tractor paint covers extremely well and one coat is usually enough but two coats is fine, second coat should go on 20 mins or so after the first.

If you used too much thinner it may take a little longer to dry but usually it is dry by the next day. If you get it just right it will be dry to the touch in a couple hours.

As of now, i think this will be my preferred method. Just hope i can find this stuff, let alone find it somewhat on the cheap side. i am also detering towards White paint with all black accents (grill/trim/wheels/tint)

edit: GRR once its actually warms up around here.sigh

well pictures do it justice, i believe

tape
newpapaper
15x flat black 'quick color' cans from home depot
2 hours

Attachments

• flatblack.jpg
    flatblack.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 402
  • flatblack2.jpg
    flatblack2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 388

haha yes dude i love this. ive been wanting to do this with my explorer. can u tell me the steps u took and wat kind of paint u used from home depot. I want to do this by the end of this week.

lol. you should've at least taken off the emblems!! lol

i've thought about doing this to mine to get it all one color, doesn't look bad.

how many coats did you lay?

Anyone know what the rules are about changing the color of a 'still road legal' truck? I NY the color of the vehicle is on the registration.. so i would imagine that you would have to submit some kind of color change paper work right?

Thanks!

-Tim

cant wiat

well fellas just went out and bought the paint tonight. 20 cans of flat black quick color.:D;)

Im pretty excited ill take some before and after pictures for ya tomorrow. Im hoping it will only take me a couple hours with my buddy helpin me :salute:

Question: Do i need to prime anything?

Question: Do i need to prime anything?

don't think so. i'd just make sure to get off as much clear coat as possible. and also to give the paint somethign to grab onto.

if you sand to far though, and get to metal, i'd use the primer/sealer spray they sell at autozone, so in case the spray paint flake off, nothing has a chance to rust.

good luck!

what would be the easiest way to sand the clearcoat down if i dont have a sander?

what would be the easiest way to sand the clearcoat down if i dont have a sander?

Rubber Sanding Block
Top row of pictures, all the way to the right
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/BodyWork.html

When I was sanding my fenders getting ready for paint/body work. I used a P180 Grit by 3M. Comes in 9inx11in sheets, and there was 5 sheets in the package. It worked quick, doesn't take to much off if you're careful. I discovered what was either beige paint/sealer/prime underneath the green though. So you may have the same, it's a good reference if you do, cause it's metal under that.

Main thing though, when you're done, it should be dull and not shiny like it normally is/was.

I just used quart sized rustoleum cans thined, and sprayed with a $10 air sprayer from HB.. I think it works! :D

attachment.php

Get a sand block walmart has them looks like this
41NBF8P1XWL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And to as how long it will last back in 05 i got a 68 vw bug to "play with" as a paint ball tank the paint was all messed up on it so i got the cheap cans of paint and with no prep work at all this is how it is today. The wight spots on the side are old paint ball stains the hood and roof wear never painted all the way and this has not been washed in about a year. Do prep work and it will look even better.

244507300_821671227_0.jpg

I just used quart sized rustoleum cans thined, and sprayed with a $10 air sprayer from HB.. I think it works! :D

air tools... i wish i had 'em. they make life so much easier

Back