Do you wear a seatbelt? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Do you wear a seatbelt?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 398 81.1%
  • No, never

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Depends (please post what it depends on)

Votes: 64 13.0%

• Total voters
I do think the seatbelt law is just another way of getting a look inside our cars.
And that I don't like-:mad:
I'm not hiding anything, nor would I be stupid enough to drive with it in my truck if I was,
But I do like my privacy. It is about all I have to myself.:D

I hate the seatbelt law, even though I always wear mine. As long as you are over 18, I don't think they have any right to say you need to wear one. If you aren't wearing a seatbelt, it isn't going to hurt anybody but yourself, so I don't think it is the government's business to regulate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't agree with that Charlie, that makes me think of the few videos of boats which lose their drivers when they hit a bump. When the driver is thrown out of the seat the vehicle is immediately out of control and moving fast.

I don't agree with that Charlie, that makes me think of the few videos of boats which lose their drivers when they hit a bump. When the driver is thrown out of the seat the vehicle is immediately out of control and moving fast.

Not to start an argument or anything, but how does somebody not wearing a seatbelt in a car put other people in danger?

I always wear my seatbelt and I always make my passengers wear theirs. Being a volunteer firefighter, I've been to enough accidents to know better. In PA it's the law that everyone in the vehicle must be in a seat and have seatbelts fastened, no riding in the bed of a truck or in the cargo area (although I've done it before :p:).

Any accident will almost instantly throw everyone out of their seat. Without assuming that the first impact will be so hard that everyone becomes a rag doll, most of the time a driver can do a better job of avoiding an accident if they aren't slung out of the seat. Held in place in the seat any driver has a better chance of positively affecting the result of an accident. They can steer better without using muscles to try to hold themselves in the seat.

The driver is more likely to have injuries just by their location, the steering wheel and pedals. Belts hold the driver in place and can greatly improve their ability to lessen an accident, or lessen further damage, by being able to steer because they are held in place.

I read that many years ago, I had not thought of it before, and I agree with it. The driver needs to be held in place at all times. Regards,

In jersey it is required by law

That being said, i do not wear a seat belt baring a few exceptions.

one is i try and wear one when roadtesting for work, as because of their insurance policy and my not wanting to cause a problem getin pulled over in a customers car. If im going a mile or two however most times i let it go, only when i have to put some road time or milage on a car for diagnostics will i make sure i wear one
Also over the years ive gotten good at sliping into it when a cop comes up behind or beside me without him noticint... id rather not invite the ticket if i dont have to

and yes, i have had a ticket for no seat belt, only once though and i was pulled over for somethin else, i just kinda forgot to slip it on in the interum

I feel that parents should be required to make their children buckle for the safety of those who are to young to make the decision, but tat once of legal age it should be a choice.

i have the "belt minder" for both front seats turned off in the focus

It is required here except by trucks (maybe, correct me if I'm wrong)

I wear mine all the time, except when I'm in my dad's pickup with someone else. The only reason I don't wear one is because the passenger seat belt doesn't work, so I don't feel it's fair to wear one myself. If the passenger is going down, so am I. When I'm by myself in that truck, of course I buckle up. Other than that I buckle up every other time.

Gee wonder where Stic-o got it? No belt no drive, I'm not in that big a hurry I'll wait.

My vehicles do not budge unless everyone in the vehicle is belted in...NO EXCEPTIONS. I've seen the results of what happens with no seatbelts in an accident....no thanks!!

My vehicles do not budge unless everyone in the vehicle is belted in...NO EXCEPTIONS. I've seen the results of what happens with no seatbelts in an accident....no thanks!!

I forgot to add that....after being in two wrecks with my explorer (tough mf'r) I have a whole new appreciation for seatbelts. My damn drivers side belt has done it's job twice now.

My aunt hit a deer on the highway at full speed once, and the seatbelt defiantly saved her life. She had a welt across her chest for a month or so after it, but hey, that's better than a steering wheel imprint on the brain.

As far as I know, no school buses have seat belts. Seems like the place you would want them the most:confused:
I've been on very few buses of any type that had belts. School buses are statistically the safest vehicles on the road, even without them. Besides, the seats are so close together you can't move very far unless the bus rolls; in which case you're pretty much screwed.

I wear my belt 99.5% of the time and support seat belt laws. I don't like to legislate common sense, but higher injury/fatality rates = higher insurance co. payouts = higher premiums for everybody.

I've been on very few buses of any type that had belts. School buses are statistically the safest vehicles on the road, even without them. Besides, the seats are so close together you can't move very far unless the bus rolls; in which case you're pretty much screwed.

I wear my belt 99.5% of the time and support seat belt laws. I don't like to legislate common sense, but higher injury/fatality rates = higher insurance co. payouts = higher premiums for everybody.

Funny thing...here, certain special needs buses have seat belts. If they use that same bus for regular students, the students are specifically instructed not to wear them. It's actually illegal for the students to wear the seatbelts.

..the students are specifically instructed not to wear them. It's actually illegal for the students to wear the seatbelts.
I'm curious -- why is it illegal?

I'm curious -- why is it illegal?

Not sure, that's just what I was told. I think I will have to do some research on this.

Edit: Found this article:

http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=4670490

Sort of explains it, I will try to find something better.
Can't find anything else, but it also has something to do with the fact the aforementioned seat belts are only lap belts....if they required seat belts, they would have to be shoulder/lap belts.

Personally, the seat belt goes on whenever I'm the driver. Other people in the vehicle... I leave it to their own common sense (in NY, as long as the person is 16 or over, THEY get the ticket, not the driver, so they can make that decision on their own).

If I'm a passenger, I follow the lead of the driver -- if they have a belt on, I tend to throw mine on; if they don't, I don't.

i sometimes usually dont drive with my seat belt but now i wear it cause i got a ticket like 5 months ago cause i was not wearin a seat belt.

In Alabama, it's click-it or ticket. Though if you want to ride in the bed of a pickup on the highway or anywhere else, it's okay. :eek:

I probably wouldn't be here today if not for seatbelts. So like others, my vehicle doesn't move unless everyone's buckled up.

Always do- law here, but I feel safer with it on anyway, and wore it before it was law. I agree- feels wierd when you always do and then don't wear one for whatever reason...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to start an argument or anything, but how does somebody not wearing a seatbelt in a car put other people in danger?
Have you ever seen the results of someone being ejected from their vehicle? How about about an infant because their parent didn't correctly install a car seat? Granted it may not put you directly in danger, but it will still affect you.

Seat belts save lives! I know one helped to save mine.

Attachments

• Crewbuggy.jpg
    Crewbuggy.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 385

Back