High revvin Xcal2 Racin | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High revvin Xcal2 Racin

lol.. wtf is with the title?.. haha..

Anyways..
I guess my main question would be is.. how much can the 5.0L take? How much of a rev is too much?
If I'm hard on it, it'll get to 6000rpms before it shifts.. and it shifts Hard... [I kinda like it.. I don't know if it's good.. but yea..]

If 6krpm's are too much, I was thinking I would down the "D" Rev Limit to 5000rpms or 5500rpms.. or whatever is the safe max..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Maybe.
That thing was bone stock.

SOHC 4.0L Sports are quick,don't let them fool ya.;)

even the ohvs are quick, i stomped a 4door with mine gave him a car length head start too. it could easily outrun any first gen ohv. but the sohc is quicker, its always givin me problems tho.

So you guys are saying a stock sport sohc could kick my ass? even though i'm slightly modified?

We'll see..

The stock 302 hasn't got the valve springs or cam to do any good past 5000rpm. Past that it is quicker to shift down and get back into the power band. The power band ends in most OHV Fords near 5000rpm. All it does going past that is wear out parts faster, look at all of the Mustang 5-speed 302's that smoke. Those are even lesser engines and they don't do well at 6000rpm stock.

Jon's got a big advantage on you Daniel with the big FMS cam he has. It sounds like the 5500rpm range is where he needs to shift.

Do work on the trans, a valve body kit can help the shifting a bunch. Regards,

Yeah, that is going to be my next upgrade... Shift Kit...

New question, would changing my "D" idle rpm to a higher rpm be a bad idea?

It is mainly personal preference if you would like it to idle higher. Be sure to not get it too high so you don't build alot of heat in your trans (stalling the converter). I wouldn't recommend anything over 850rpm for your stock application. Now for example with Jon's stall and radical setup, 1000 wouldn't be too high, it would definately be noticeable but obtainable. -j

Opinions are always welcome.

We'll see..

supercharge it and then you might be able to keep up...and if you supercharge it it will pull HARD all the way to 6k

Are the stock 2 doors really this quick?

yes, my moms 5.0 awd (with only 45,000 miles) would be eaten by my sohc sport, i raced a 4 door sohc in my moms and we were dead even, so..... yeah having driven both id say the sport sohc would whoop a 5.0

That's sad.

yeah, but look at the numbers the sohc is rated at 205hp / 240 ftlbs of torque, the 5.0 is only rated at 215hp / 288ftlbs of torque. Thats pretty damn close if you ask me, just add the weight difference and the sport takes the cake.

The 302's big issue is the useless factory exhaust manifolds, and the low compression. As much as I used to cuss Ford for the old cast iron manifolds, these 96-01 headers are actually much worse. Any old factory 302 cast iron header would be better than these POS parts. There is likely about 30-40hp lost because of those things. Ford is very good about building low performance engines.

yeah, but look at the numbers the sohc is rated at 205hp / 240 ftlbs of torque, the 5.0 is only rated at 215hp / 288ftlbs of torque. Thats pretty damn close if you ask me, just add the weight difference and the sport takes the cake.

Yep, my friends got an 04 ranger with the SOHC, and that thing scoots. The only thing is he doesn't have the low end that my old OHV has, so I'll have him for about 50 feet, then he pulls on ahead. Once those SOHC's get wound up, they'll move. That and his ranger is only like 3500 lbs.

What no1 has mentioned is that these engines drop power when they go above 4700-4800 rpm. when you rev it up to high all you get is waste of gas and less power while messing up your tranny

Back