Installing Aftermarket Fog lights (in factory location) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing Aftermarket Fog lights (in factory location)

Installing Aftermarket Fog lights (in factory location). The how to..

Note: Before starting, try to figure out which wire is positive. You can do this with a multimeter. Mark the + with a marker. However, this usually isn't important with lights. If it is a problem in the end, switch the two wires going into the light.

1.) Disconnect all wiring to factory Fog Lights. Take out bulb.

2.) Break out Factoy Lights. The lights are glued in. In my case, one broke out by itself. The other I broke out using a chisel.
DSCF1189.jpg

3.) Drill holes where needed and mount bracket. You may use sheet metal screws but I went with bolts because there is less of a chance of them backing out. Also it decreases the amount at which they bounce, while going over bumps.
4.) When both holes are drilled, mount the bracket. (Before doing this you may want to tape off the bumper and spray paint your assembly)
DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1177.jpg

5.) Mount the Light onto the bracket or however you plan on mounting the light.
6.) Cut off the old adaptor from the factory lights (located at the end of the existing wiring) .
DSCF1181.jpg

7.) Cut back the rubber protector around the wiring. This is there to protect the wire, so only cut as little as possible. Tape this back closed when process is complete. Also strip the wire at this point. Both on the factory wiring and new fog lighting.
8.) Connect existing wiring with wiring to fog lights. This should be done with some sort of crimp that is resistant to water. Usually they have some sort of shrink material. If you do use regular crimps or tie caps, make sure you use plenty of electrical tape. This is to keep water and dust out.
DSCF1185.jpg

8.) Turn on Headlights and fog light switch. Enjoy lights.
Fogs2.jpg

The whole process took me about 2 hours but if I hadn't had trouble with my bracket, it probably would have taken 1 1/2 hours. It is actually very simple.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lights look good. I'm sure they are better than they were,,,,

nice fabrication brother:thumbsup:

What did you have to chisel out?

Joe Dirt if you read the last part of step 2 he says that he had to use a chisel to remove the other fog light. One came out easy and the other one, meaning the other fog light required a chisel to remove it

That locale is great for lighting! But my! There's a lot of rust under there. Is that due to the climate? Not to be critical, but I'd address that rust. (Is that common for the areas of the vehicle to rust like that?)

If you had to explain...

Joe Dirt if you read the last part of step 2 he says that he had to use a chisel to remove the other fog light. One came out easy and the other one, meaning the other fog light required a chisel to remove it

It wasn't quite worded that way, and there are multiple components to the fog light and housing. Joe's question was valid.

Nice work, although I would recommend heat-shrinking those connections rather than taping them...or both, heat-shrink then tape over that very tightly. I've had big problems with electrical tape sticking to the wire for extended amounts of time while being exposed to all the elements as well as all the water and dirt, dust, etc. slinging off the front tires. Just a helpful pointer to keep those connections tight and clean :thumbsup:

Yeah- I was wondering if he had to chisel the light, the bulb, the housing, the bolt, the nut, or the bracket.
I didn't understand what was "glued in" other than the lens. Nothing on my foglight assembly is "glued in" form the factory, and coudn't figure out if he had chiseled out the lens in the truck when the whole assemble was going to be removed.

Sorry to ask! :rolleyes:

PS- Buffalo- looks good!

oh, okay i guess your question goes beond my knowledge and with out looking at his fog lights i am not sure. guess we will have to wait until he posts an answer.

That locale is great for lighting! But my! There's a lot of rust under there. Is that due to the climate? Not to be critical, but I'd address that rust. (Is that common for the areas of the vehicle to rust like that?)

For the age of his truck, that looks about right for vehicles from Western NY... we get SO MUCH snow that our cars see a good 4+ months of salt a year. Cars rust _fast_ around here -- I see some early 3rd gens already showing some rust around here.

Yeah- I was wondering if he had to chisel the light, the bulb, the housing, the bolt, the nut, or the bracket.
I didn't understand what was "glued in" other than the lens. Nothing on my foglight assembly is "glued in" form the factory, and coudn't figure out if he had chiseled out the lens in the truck when the whole assemble was going to be removed.

Sorry to ask! :rolleyes:

PS- Buffalo- looks good!

Actually, the large nut & bolt shown in the 2nd. pic is what holds the fog light in. Just remove the nut and the fog light will fall out.

Nice work, although I would recommend heat-shrinking those connections rather than taping them...or both, heat-shrink then tape over that very tightly. I've had big problems with electrical tape sticking to the wire for extended amounts of time while being exposed to all the elements as well as all the water and dirt, dust, etc. slinging off the front tires. Just a helpful pointer to keep those connections tight and clean :thumbsup:

Just make sure to use something in addition to the electrical tape, as tape alone will trap water inside.

Edit: Sorry, I guess that's what you were saying there...but if done properly, the heat shrink alone would be enough

Actually, the large nut & bolt shown in the 2nd. pic is what holds the fog light in. Just remove the nut and the fog light will fall out.

Actually, on my 98 they are glued in. I was hoping that bolt would actually be to release the lense so that I didn't need to mount a new bracket but that was not the case. When I ripped them out there was actually glue. I could see the dryied glue strans stretching as I pulled it out.

As BWilliams said, the salt takes such a toll on the metal. My parents 06 van is already beginning to show rust, on the under body. The only thing you can do to attempt to slow the process down is by getting a wash every few weeks. You can also spray a grease on it, which my neighbor tried on his Trail Blazer. However, the wind pushes it out onto the fenders and door panels. From a distance, it looks like rust.

I was going to take off the assembly and paint it but the bolts where a bit stripped (Don't see why. They have never been takin off. Well atleast, not that I know of). Then I was going to tape off the bumper and spray it but I started the project later in the evening and I didn't want to waste sunlight. Maybe a future project. Like maybe next time I am bored.

Nice work, although I would recommend heat-shrinking those connections rather than taping them...or both, heat-shrink then tape over that very tightly. I've had big problems with electrical tape sticking to the wire for extended amounts of time while being exposed to all the elements as well as all the water and dirt, dust, etc. slinging off the front tires. Just a helpful pointer to keep those connections tight and clean

Also a future project. Value was out of them and I didn't want to waste day light. I used a connection that they did have. It's very tight but there was a small hole. I wrapped it real tight with a lot of E. tape incase of the possibility of water getting through the hole. I then sprayed it down with the garden hose really well. Not even a flicker.
But you are correct. Before winter, I will definitly be changing it. (I did mention shrink wrap in my direction just to warn other people about it)

Actually, on my 98 they are glued in. I was hoping that bolt would actually be to release the lense so that I didn't need to mount a new bracket but that was not the case. When I ripped them out there was actually glue. I could see the dryied glue strans stretching as I pulled it out.

What is that nut and bolt holding &/or connected to on the back of the fog light bracket? Sure looks like the bracket used on my last Xs fog lights.

What is that nut and bolt holding &/or connected to on the back of the fog light bracket? Sure looks like the bracket used on my last Xs fog lights.

I used the nuts and bolts to mount the brackets. They came with screws but I used the bolts instead because I wanted less shake when going over bumps and have less of a chance of them backing out.

I mean the big old rusted nut showing in pic.2 That, I believe is the nut/bolt combination that holds the fog light in place.

I mean the big old rusted nut showing in pic.2 That, I believe is the nut/bolt combination that holds the fog light in place.

ohh..... not sure what it is meant for but I can tell you that it never held the fog lenses in place. They where only glued on. There is no hole for that size of a bolt to go in, on the lense. Couldn't tell ya. Ill look more closely next time I am under the truck.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase this kit?
I found at auto zone, a pilot fog light kit, it was square just like the OEM ones, but it was smaller. Where can I get these?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase this kit?
I found at auto zone, a pilot fog light kit, it was square just like the OEM ones, but it was smaller. Where can I get these?

Well Pilot has a website but I am not sure if you can order from them direct. I got these at my local AutoZone for $19.99. If you take the measurements of the OEM lights to AutoZone, they may be able to order you something for the same price. Tell them that you saw a kit for $19.99 they fits very close. Mine are slightly smaller. Height wise, they are probably about 1/2" but the width is only slightly smaller. They fit very close to the size of the hole in the valance.

Here is how close they come to fitting:
DSCF1187.jpg

Here is a picture of the kit. You might be able to take this pic to AutoZone and have them order it for you. If they can figure out the correct kit
($19.99, Pilot, single 55 watt bulb, clear lense (Mine came from their location in Depew, NY on Walden Ave.. Maybe they can contact them and have them sent))

DSCF1178.jpg

Back