Boot or not to boot? That is the question! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boot or not to boot? That is the question!

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Ok, I toasted another passenger stub shaft. Figured I'd replace all the front passenger side axles, bearing etc. I couldn't get the yoke axles to seperate. After pounding them apart I came to the conclusion that the boot that covers the slip yoke is actually holding water and mud instead of shielding it.

So on the front axle slip yoke, Boot or no boot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without a boot, you'll just have dirt & rust seize up the splines.

If it was holding water, it obviously was not sealed well (or had a tear in it). Try using hose clamps on it, and make sure the dust cap in the end of the yoke isn't damaged or missing.

Without a boot, you'll just have dirt & rust seize up the splines.

If it was holding water, it obviously was not sealed well (or had a tear in it). Try using hose clamps on it, and make sure the dust cap in the end of the yoke isn't damaged or missing.

Thanks but I choose to not to install it. I will see how it works out.

I ran without a boot, not good

Run the boot and make sure the seal on the female side of the slip yoke is in good shape too. The boot needs to be secured TIGHT on both sides, I use some silicoln on there and I now use METAL zip ties to hold it in place

I ran without a boot, not good

Run the boot and make sure the seal on the female side of the slip yoke is in good shape too. The boot needs to be secured TIGHT on both sides, I use some silicoln on there and I now use METAL zip ties to hold it in place

Well now you chime in after I installed the axles and spindle. :p: I guess I can just pull the spindle and install the boot.

What was "not good" about not running the boot?

Oh and any info on the Metal zip ties?

Metal zip ties harbor freight. Pull those suckers TIGHT
I wrap the end around my needlenose, pull very tight, then bend the clamp into place to hold it tight and fold it back over itself

Without the boot the grease comes out, likely because it gets washed out with sand and water

si señor. No boot = muchos problemos!

Also I'd use metal hose screw clamps, the kind with the notches all the way along it.
Might be easier than the zip ties. IDK

si señor. No boot = muchos problemos!

Also I'd use metal hose screw clamps, the kind with the notches all the way along it.
Might be easier than the zip ties. IDK

Thanks guys. I pulled the spindle and axles and installed the boot. She back up and on the road now.

I was also thinking about using hose clamps. Thanks for the info!!!!

Back