Yomie....3/4 ton build up and install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yomie....3/4 ton build up and install

First off...

'78 Ford F-250 HPD44
5.13 gears spooled
Yukon 4340 inners and outers
Alloy USA u-joints and full circle clips
Highsteer using 1.5" OD DOM
Warn Premium hubs

Fornt axle is already built, i just have to move the front perches in a few inches and re-paint it

Rear will be a GM 14bFF
5.13 gears
welded spiders
RuffStuff disc conversion
late '70's disc brakes and rotors

I will start building the rear in a few weeks

D44 vs. D60 as everyone has seen before
HPIM0148.jpg

HP D44, just got to clean it up and move the perches in a few inches and it will be ready for boltup...next to TJ's D60.

Here it is finishing up, just got to install the drivers side 4340's and finish installing hubs

HPIM0149.jpg

HPIM0151.jpg

HPIM0150.jpg

HPIM0152.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think i have picked my tire that i will run

13/38-16 TSL :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Good choice.

PM me your address and I can't remember your last name for the life of me.

A quick update...

I started working on the 14B and noticed that it had a cracked spindle...my options were $135 for a new spindle welded on or spend $125 for a new axle, so i am now currently waiting to pic up another 14B

CIMG0040.jpg

CIMG0042.jpg

CIMG0047.jpg

Work has been slow, but finally got my hands on a 1984 C2500 with a BBC th400 and 14bff rear, gonna try to have the 14B out by next weekend and continue on the buildup

**** don't even have the axle together and it already broke? Better get some rocks'

Haha, whats up Jey?
I wanted to let you know that i will be in Birmingham June 20-June 22 with the rig

where at grayrock?

New shop will be open in about a week or so. (from monday)

We were planning Gardendale, but been hearing some rumors about the place, but Gardendale unless something changes...I think were staying at the microtel or something like that, will have about 8 rigs on 38's to 42's full bodies and 1 cherokee/truggy

New to me 38.5x14.5 TSL/SX arrived today

CIMG0091.jpg

CIMG0092.jpg

CIMG0093.jpg

CIMG0094.jpg

Nice meats! With pre-shreded side lugs -- mine came like that too ;)

Nice meats! With pre-shreded side lugs -- mine came like that too ;)

Yeah, its just that one 'corner' of the tire though :p:

they're just broken in, all the wear on them is from the PO driving his truck down here from Pennsylvania, and the 3 trips in grey rock

Worked on the 14B some more today

installed Caliper Brackets from RuffSfuff
CIMG0097.jpg

Installed rotor and hub assembly
CIMG0098.jpg

CIMG0099.jpg

Installed calipers and cleeaned up the axle a bit as well as cut off all the stock brakets

CIMG0100.jpg

CIMG0101.jpg

CIMG0102.jpg

CIMG0103.jpg

CIMG0104.jpg

Other than installing gears and making Brake lines, the axle is ready to go under the truck

That axle is beef! While you have free access to it, dont forget to shave it!

I got the 14B installed last night, everything went well, i did not have time to weld on my lower shock tabs, but other than that, it rides really good and stops excellent, if it decides to stop raining today i will snap some pics

The wheels I used have 5.5" backspacing, so overall its barely 4" wider(2" per side)

Any big changes to the body/bumpers/suspension?

Suspention is going to mainly stay the same for now, i'm currently sitting at 5" lift and i'm not trying to go any higher just yet, i wanted to go coilovers up front, but the wife didn't give me enough in my budget this year (maybe next year) so i wanted to build the axles up pretty stout so all my budget went here.

still no plan for bumpers just yet, i want to make my own and i am currently living in an APT complex...we are looking for a house to buy, but that can take forever, so bumpers are on hold untill i have a garage and space to fab 'em up.

Body mods...well i moved the rear axle back 1" and the front axle is going forward 2", which will put me at 107.5" WB...after getting the rear axle in last night i am going to have to attack the body with some cutting, i'm assuming after the front goes in i will need to cut it also....I'm going to try to stay away from the 'hack' style cutting job so it may take some time, i removed 4" from my front fenderwells and you can hardly tell (the same way Jefe did)

Heres a few quick snaps...i still need shocks and to clean up my brake lines

CIMG0105.jpg

CIMG0106.jpg

CIMG0107.jpg

CIMG0109.jpg

Noice! I like the low big ass tire look. :) Trimming the rear is easier for you sport guys too. :thumbsup:

That my next tire too (just got 36" SXs so it will be a while), and I'm not lifting my truck any more than it is now.

When i first did the sas, i moved the front axle forward and as i stated i was looking to move the axle forward another 2", now that i'm looking at that pic, i'm thinking i shouldn't move it forward, what do you think?

Maybe just put a tire over the hub (I know it won't bolt-up), and see if you think you'll need to or not?

You would probably like the extra WB, but if it's not needed and you don't want to do the extra work, then "F" it, and cut some more. :)

Back