Return from Big Bear | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Big Bear

I've been avoiding more trips due to gas prices, but Arrowbear is ridiculously close :thumbsup:.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So we're going to be at:

Shady Cove Campground
Site B, Arrowbear, CA 92382 US

I'll have to figure out what trails are close to that.
Ritsui, any ideas for some mild to moderate around there?

Well Hell What day are you planning this wheelin' action Saturday or Sunday?

Cause if I can afford the gas I'll make the trip up there for some more wheelin' even if is lite to moderate stuff.

Got the PM

Saturday works for me.

I'll give ya ring later in the week.

You bringing the X or the van or both?

Any other takers?

Still trying to decide if i want to tow up there on friday night. i'll probably just end up driving the X. I'll have to remember to put some air in the tires and unlock my hubs.

...any ideas for some mild to moderate around there?
Take hwy 18 (east) to Green Valley Lake Rd. Head north to 3N16 (large dirt turnout on the left). Continue on 3N16 to 3N34 (Dishpan Springs) and then past the large water crossing keep right on 3N34 (Jeep trail) towards the pinnacles to hwy 173. Then hopefully Ritsui can explain the streets to get back out to hwy 18. Should be good for 2-3 hours of wheeling.

I haven't been on the Dishpan Springs trail in a few years, but they have fairly recently downgraded it's rating from most (black) to more (blue) difficult so it should be easily doable especially heading from east to west.

As for me, I have to work and won't be able to make this.:(

Boomer's got it. That's a good ride. Fairly mild, but with enough offshoots for some fun.

Just pick a time to meet up. The gas station in Arrowbear is easy to find.

Sweet, I'm gonna get a guide book this week and I'll mark that route. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

I'll pm you both my cell so you have it for future ref as well. Hopefully I'll have a planned time before I head up there Friday night, and let you guys know.

This group likes to drink at night, so...I doubt it will be a meet at 9am type of day. :)

Hopefully I'll have a planned time before I head up there Friday night, and let you guys know.

This group likes to drink at night, so...I doubt it will be a meet at 9am type of day. :)
No problem. cybergasm and I can just run it from the other end, first :p:

...All I know is that i will be working...:(...I did find gas for 3.69 off brookhurst on the way back from H.B. today...:D

...Just a note, your tires gain 4-6# of pressure going up to Big Bear...;)...I Checked mine and was at 39#'s...:confused:

...Just a note, your tires gain 4-6# of pressure going up to Big Bear...;)...I Checked mine and was at 39#'s...:confused:
More correctly they will gain 1 psi for every 2000 ft. of elevation increase, and therefore the reverse would also be true (it has to do with atmospheric pressure).

Please don't ask me how I know this...:eek:

So I just bought a "Guide to Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells. I'm not sure if it's the one I was originally thinking about, but it looks like a good one. I mapped out that route you posted Boomer, and I'm looking forward to trashing my friend's FJ.
icon_twisted.gif

Haha, it shouldn't be that bad...and I'm sure he'll have a lot of fun. :)

Here's a couple pics off dirtopia that shows the roughest part a little above the Deep Creek (T-6) crossing.

Attachments

• 800px-Dishpan1.jpg
    800px-Dishpan1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 450px-Dishpan2.jpg
    450px-Dishpan2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 275

Yeah, I was looking through my book, and don't know that area well except for John Bull, Holcomb Valley and Crab Flats trails. Some of the trails they have as difficult, I do in 2wd. But since he doesn't have any real trail experience, it should be a good run.

I mapped out that route you posted Boomer, and I'm looking forward to trashing my friend's FJ.
icon_twisted.gif

LMAO :D

Haha, it shouldn't be that bad...and I'm sure he'll have a lot of fun. :)

Here's a couple pics off dirtopia that shows the roughest part a little above the Deep Creek (T-6) crossing.

Hmmm from looking at the Pics posted it almost look a little like Cleghorn but with trees instead of scrub brush;)

FWIW, I just came back from the bottom of Dishpan Springs and it (that one section) is still definitely not for a stock truck. There was a TJ there with 4" lift and he couldn't do it (no lockers). I got about half way up the "waterfall" area (just above the center of that last pic) and got stuck... until I realized I left my BWM switch off and was in 2WD low :D. In any case, there are a few spots right at the bend where I probably couldn't make it up without moving rocks or taking some minor damage. That section might scare someone who doesn't do any wheeling.

...I'm not sure but I think this was taken there...:scratch:..It looks like a fun place for a jeep...:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a video with the whole trail done by a FJ and Ranger. They start at Devil's Hole and hit Dishpan springs at about 3:00.

I stopped at the spot the FJ was at at 4:00. The "waterfall" area farther up (7:50) looks like it might be pretty hairy.

Back