• Register Today It's free!

Unlock your Digital Odometer

Sleb

Reaction score
City, State
MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I thought this might be a fun post, can anyone figure out what the rest of the functions/codes are?

Step 1
Insert Key (do not turn it)

Step 2
Press and hold the Trip-Meter Reset Button.

Step 3
While holding the reset button, start your car and continue holding the button.

Step 4
Within 10 seconds, the display should change to "test" (written in a silly LCD font) and the needles will go nuts. Release the Button.

Step 5
Pressing the button will now cycle through some 15 different modes or more.
Breakdown of some of the functions:

1 Press - Shows a Gauge Sweep
2 Presses - Shows all 8's on the LCD (LCD TEST)
3 Presses - Illuminates all the bulbs on the dash
6 Presses - Shows DTC Troubleshooting Codes
7 Presses - DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER - MPH
8 Presses - DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER - KPH
10 Presses - DIGITAL TACHOMETER
DIGITAL ENGINE TEMP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is there a way so that it will keep displaying the digital speedometer?

Didnt work for my 05 Explorer XLT...Any suggestions?

VVVVV Should have mentioned I have the message center. Still no dice though for each reset button.

for the people with the message center, which reset button do we push?

i just tried it on mine (no message center) and it worked. But i cant read half of the stuff on there.

I have known about this trick for some time. However for those with the message center, like me. I have no clue how to get it to work. The only reason why I can think it wont work is because we can already do a diagnostic within it. So, this function is diabled.

What about Digital Trans Temp???? That would be useful. But i have the message center so i maybe out of luck.

What would be really cool and usefull is if the message center could scroll through and display the OBDII readings. Like you could select transmission temp, Oil temp, coolant temp. Its all in the onboard computer you just need something to read it. Some guys even mount a OBDII reader to do it.

i have the message center (I think) and I don't know how I got it to do it. it did it all the way to work one day. I thought some of of the info would be useful, also.

What about Digital Trans Temp???? That would be useful. But i have the message center so i maybe out of luck.

What would be really cool and usefull is if the message center could scroll through and display the OBDII readings. Like you could select transmission temp, Oil temp, coolant temp. Its all in the onboard computer you just need something to read it. Some guys even mount a OBDII reader to do it.

i would KILL for a trans temp readout

Suposedly this will not work on the Message center explorers 02-04, all 05's have the message center so it shouldn't work on the '05 at all.

I've tested this on my 02 with message center and it does not work.

Wow this is great!!!!

I like the voltmeter function!

Anyone know what the OIL function is? or any of the other ones?

Step 2
Press and hold the Trip-Meter Reset Button.

For 05 Explorer: Try pressing/holding Setup and Reset buttons simultaneously.

My 00 F150 had this but I didn't do much with it very often. I had more things to look at and concentrate on when driving. I've never tried it on my 04.

-Melon

I have an 02' Limited with message center and have used this feature before.(top speed-105mph!) Hold the reset on the instrument cluster and then start your car and continue to hold the reset button until the test comes on. Release and press the reset button to change to different options. Did the same thing on a 2006 Ford Superduty. It's really cool and someday when i get to raise the speed limiter, we'll see how fast she can go:)

Is anyone able to get it to work on a 05 explorer at all? My friends Subaru does the gauge sweep on each startup and I love it. I like dorking with hidden stuff:p

Is anyone able to get it to work on a 05 explorer at all? My friends Subaru does the gauge sweep on each startup and I love it. I like dorking with hidden stuff:p

the gauge sweep at startup just seems like a waste of time to me. I like the Aviator dashboard better, where it's "hidden" untill you turn it on and it lights up.

A bit more info here: http://www.bullittarchive.com/1022.htm

odo1.jpg

odo2.jpg

:(.... I guess no transmission temperature readout?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone give me any knowledge regarding the following code retrieved when going through the dtc?

A659
E013

I have already done a forum and web search, but I cannot seem to find any information as to what these actually mean.

Back