3link front build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3link front build

After wasting my front springs on my last wheeling trip it is time to do some upgrades. I am dumping the front leafs and doing a 3 link front.

The lower links will be some thick tube of some sort once I finally buy it. On the axle will be a poly bushing from ruff stuff. On the frame side I am using a jonny joint with a 1.25" threaded shank.

The upper link is 1.75x .120 tube with the same johnny joints on both ends.

The track bar will be 1.5x .250 tube that I have laying around. It will have 3/4" hiems on each end.

I am reusing my old shocks.

The coil springs will be from a jeep tj. I have some rubicon express 4.5" springs right now. I think they will be to short but we will see when I get some weight on it.

Attachments

• buildup2 004.jpg
    buildup2 004.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 675
  • buildup2 005.jpg
    buildup2 005.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 695
  • buildup2 006.jpg
    buildup2 006.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 667
  • buildup2 007.jpg
    buildup2 007.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 666

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Subscribing..:D

...If you roll over the thumbnails they blow up...Kinda cool...:thumbsup:

Looks like a good start Matt, didn't wanna go with pre-fabbed link brackets for the frame end? Also, What's the length of your lowers?

looks good matt, if you need those extra set of 5.5" eb springs for set up let me know. Just remember one is bent:(

I was going to to prefabbed ones on the frame but I need to build the tranny cross member into it. By the time I modified them I might as well start from scratch. The lowers look like they will be around 32-33" long. I am hoping to get the upper around 34-35". I want the pinion to rotate up as it travels down so the ujoint will not bind. We will see how it works. Before anyone asks no I didn't do the link calculator on it. I don't know the weight, I don't know the center of gravity and on most of the points there is only one spot for stuff to fit so that is where it is going. From my reading the general idea is keep the panard high and flat and keep the upper link as flat as possible. Those are what I am shooting for. We will see how it works out.

looks good matt, if you need those extra set of 5.5" eb springs for set up let me know. Just remember one is bent:(

Bill might be able to use the springs. If I remember right the Tj ones are a little smaller in diameter. I need all the space I can get so thats why the TJ springs. If I had the money I would do coil overs.

4.5" seem way too short! I remember there was a guy with 10" ones on a explorer once.

I am thinking I will need some 7" ones or so. My truck sits low I so am shooting for about the same height I was before. It sagged alot from when I first did the SAS so we will see where I end up.

What's the plan for coil buckets? When I mocked up those Jeep coils originally on my build-up, they didn't fit to well on the stock buckets plus it made the coils bow pretty good. I was thinking some hoops with a flat plate mounted as a seat would work well. Maybe integrate an upper coil retainer into it as well...you don't want to be "that guy" with 4" of air between the coil and upper mount when you're flexing:p:

You still want my old leafs for the rear to experiment with?

i got a st of leafs if needed too;)

I cut the "fingers" off the stock bucket and welded a flat plate onto it. I plan to weld a tube down the middle to hold the spring in place. We will see what happens when I get some weight on the springs.

Dave I will take your old rear springs.

Matt, congrats, I know you've been wanting to get away from leafs for quite some time.

I'm excited to see how this comes together.

I like your plan and diameter of tubing you are building everything with.

So the plan is to secure the coils at the bottom and "retain" them at the top with a piece of steel in the center?

That thing should droop like nobody's business, plus those mega long shocks you just installed.

Matt what are you going to do for front shocks? I have that set of bad 16" BBCS if you need to borrow them for mocking up. One has a bent shaft and leaks, the other just leaks:rolleyes:

Nice:D Can't wait to see it in action:chug:

umm, I just learned yesterday what BBCS stands for. Do you know? I wouldn't purchase them solely for that reason LOL.

Didn't Matt just put some uber long shocks up front?

of course I know!;) Did you know they also make smaller white shocks. LWCS:p:

I have 13" travel shocks I am reusing. I also have another set to put on the rear when I get to making some changes on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back