Let's start planning a mid-summer trail run. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let's start planning a mid-summer trail run.

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
With some not making it to moab for what ever reason. Work or High prices. I want to throw out the idea of doing a run mid-summer. I enjoyed the Slaughterhouse gulch run last year. and want to do another.

I figure with enough advance planning we all can save and/or request time off to attend. Being I have Saturday's off I would like it on a Sat.

Any ideas of trails to run????

Ones I would like to run are:

China Wall
Jenny creek
Middle st vain/coney flats ( Will run on July 12 with our club)
Dakan road

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would love to join in some trail rides and am new to the forum. I should have my sas done this summer sometime. I noticed it says Colorado Explorer Contingent so I asume those trails are in Colorado? Sorry for the lack of Knoledge

I'm going to Moab, but I'm down for a day of wheelin with the Colorado Crew. I'm not sure what trails are around, but count me in for whatever.

hey guys count me in too.

I will go just give me dates so i can get off work!
Chad

Any ideas of where and when? While my Ex is currently out of commission. ( I still haven't gotten it home yet, still sitting along hwy 131 south of Steamboat)

Tim

I say China wall or Jenny creek and how bout the 2nd or 3rd week in july?

I say China wall or Jenny creek and how bout the 2nd or 3rd week in july?

Did you guys end up doing anything? I am relatively new to Steamboat and I have found some good jeep trails up here that I don't want to try by myself. I am itching to try something a little tougher than Forest Road 220.

Did you guys end up doing anything? I am relatively new to Steamboat and I have found some good jeep trails up here that I don't want to try by myself. I am itching to try something a little tougher than Forest Road 220.

No we never got anything going but if you wanna try something harder let me know i will go do a trail or two with ya

There just didn't seem to have any interest in a run.

Tim

No we never got anything going but if you wanna try something harder let me know i will go do a trail or two with ya

Yeah that would be great. I know there are some extremely muddy trails up here that might be to much for the EX, but you never know until you try:D.

If you know what is a good run between here and Denver let me know.

There just didn't seem to have any interest in a run.

Tim

Thats to bad. I still trying to talk some friends into a run to Ouray to do the Alpine Loop and maybe Black Bear Pass.

Here is a group run that some of the members are doing in the ouray area labor day!... just thought you might look into that cause you mentioned the area
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217397
but a good site to go for trails is
www.traildamage.com
they have most every trail in colorado with pics directions trail descriptions and everything you would need or like i have the Guide to Colorado backgroads and 4-wheel drive trails that has every trail in colorado with descriptions directions way points on the trails dificulty suitable for stock and what equipment is a must on the trail ( lockers low gearing ect.)
but check out those sites and see what ones you might wanna do... i dont know how well equiped your x is but the highest trail i have done was rated a 5 so anything 5 and under
o and also i live down just south of denver so maybe there is some trails half way??????

Unfortunately I have plans for labor day weekend. But I am always checking traildamage for info on trails. great reference.

Tim

Here is a group run that some of the members are doing in the ouray area labor day!... just thought you might look into that cause you mentioned the area
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217397
but a good site to go for trails is
www.traildamage.com
they have most every trail in colorado with pics directions trail descriptions and everything you would need or like i have the Guide to Colorado backgroads and 4-wheel drive trails that has every trail in colorado with descriptions directions way points on the trails dificulty suitable for stock and what equipment is a must on the trail ( lockers low gearing ect.)
but check out those sites and see what ones you might wanna do... i dont know how well equiped your x is but the highest trail i have done was rated a 5 so anything 5 and under
o and also i live down just south of denver so maybe there is some trails half way??????

Thanks for the heads up on the Ouray run. I think I have new plans for Labor Day weekend.:thumbsup:

I have tried several Forest Roads between here and Silverthorn. One I found is a shelf road that climbs almost 2000 ft in less than 3 miles. Nothing to technical (loose rock, steep grade, and some ruts) but it had great views on a road no wider than the explorer. I want to go back with a camera this time, but it is way off the beaten path.

Other than that I don't know of much between here and Denver. I have looked at Trail Damage but just mostly around Steamboat. I will spend some more time looking this weekend. If you know of something you would like to do on the way up here let me know.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ouray run. I think I have new plans for Labor Day weekend.:thumbsup:

I have tried several Forest Roads between here and Silverthorn. One I found is a shelf road that climbs almost 2000 ft in less than 3 miles. Nothing to technical (loose rock, steep grade, and some ruts) but it had great views on a road no wider than the explorer. I want to go back with a camera this time, but it is way off the beaten path.

Other than that I don't know of much between here and Denver. I have looked at Trail Damage but just mostly around Steamboat. I will spend some more time looking this weekend. If you know of something you would like to do on the way up here let me know.

are you sitting at stock right now or are you lifted or bigger tires????

2" lift in the front-looking into another 2" front and back.
32" tire which are +1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright how bout Sunday the third of August at Pole hill and also do a second trail to make the drive worth more like at Pierson park road or johnny park road?

Back