flat black x???

m8r8j

Reaction score
City, State
ipswich, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xls, 4.0
yea so heres what im doing:

next week im getting a check for 7 grand, and a large chunk is going into my explorer...

im getting it lowered 4.5 inches, aviator mirrors put on, and painted flat black (same color as the tahoe on rob and big)

what do you guys think???

ill post pics when its done, but i just needed to ask the opinions of my fellow drivers :salute:

edit: heres the tahoe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're going to do it, get it gunned and not rattle canned cauz a rattle can just does not have enough volume/velocity and spread as a gun. So often times rattle cans turn out blotchy and a little uneven -- either that or you have to do quite a few coats to even it out. Or if you want, you can try the roller approach :)

Flat black looks OK, but what colour is yours now? And why black - bugger of a colour to keep clean.

Sideshot.jpg

i'm not a fan of flat black at all, but as long as your happy that's all that matters.

I approve the aviator mirrors, however.

no, im having it done professionally... 1600 dollars is the quote

i applaude you for getting it done professionally.

JCUZ brings up a good point. The actual surface of flat colors are typically very difficult to keep clean because it is not smooth and therefore retains dirt a lot easier than smooth glossy finishes. But I guess as long as you keep it off the trails, you should be alright.

If you have the expendible income... I think flat black will look crazy especially since it is getting done professionally.

One thing I will say is though... it seems that flat paintjobs are usually done on raised vehicles with big tires, not lowered ones with chrome etc.

JCUZ brings up a good point. The actual surface of flat colors are typically very difficult to keep clean because it is not smooth and therefore retains dirt a LOT easier than smooth glossy finishes.

Is there no such thing as a flat clearcoat? Used for protection purposes but without adding gloss or shine?

it seems that flat paintjobs are usually done on raised vehicles with big tires, not lowered ones with chrome etc.

This isn't no rattle can opportunity on these pics. Only issue I see with flat is how to keep it clean in any condition, not mud and trail damage but even water spots, lint from drying it with a towel and dust will hold into the color. The cars pictured below have some sort of a clear over the flat, much smoother than any flat job I've seen on a trail truck.

Attachments

• 546059.jpg
    546059.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 3,710
  • SEMA 021med.jpg
    SEMA 021med.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 532
  • SEMA 077med.jpg
    SEMA 077med.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 614
  • SEMA 031med.jpg
    SEMA 031med.jpg