Will 33's fit on an unlifted 1991 Ex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 33's fit on an unlifted 1991 Ex?

Shen2187

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
Got some 33/9.5 15 tires for FREE.

Has anyone fit similar sized tires on a stock first gen Ex?

Wanted to know before I pay to switch the tires onto my wheels.

The wheels they are on are 5 on 5 instead of 5 on 4.5.

If not, then I'll give it a shot anyway.

It needs tires REAL bad after I messed around on autocross with it lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not without trimming the front fenders..

Sucky...

I'll figure something out.

Thanks though.

U: Eh, I just went out and measured, They will fit, just BARELY. Thank god they are narrow enough to stay in the wheel wells.

Although my up travel will be limited by 2 inches it really doesn't matter since all the flex is in the rear anyway. If there is some rub,

That's what they make saws-alls, welders and auto body paint for. All of which I have available.

It'll be getting a lift soon anyway.

You are going to rub ALOT
front flex has everything to do with keeping tires on the ground, even the rear ones
turn your wheel and go over a bump or dip, it will self clearnance your fenders for you!

It would take ALOT of trimming to clear 33" tires with no lift, so be careful until you get it!

Wheels must be 5 on 4.5" to fit a stock Explorer.

...Check out the "How To" in my signature...It may be of some help for you..;)

Eh the guys at Advantage were real nice and swapped one onto a wheel for free. There's no way they'll fit without MAJOR cutting. The width is fine, the rear is fine. It's the front, and they are just to tall. Oh well, I have a set of 33's and nothing to put them on. And they're too old to trade in.

I know the lug pattern on the ex is 5 on 4.5. I said the wheels the 33's came on were 5 on 5 so I would have to change wheels.

I'll take a look at the link tbars, maybe it'll give me some ideas and options. Seeing as how I just got laid off today, that lift might not be coming for a while.

Yet another crummy day. Yay...

Thanks everyone anyway.

if you lift it 2" you can fit 32" tires with little rub or you could try taking out the plastic inner wheel well for a little more room. I unbolted mine and shoved it back and rebolted it to fit 31" tires on my stock X.

SOA could be an option, but the truck isn't completely mine yet. I still owe pops some money on it. Then the front could be as easy as springs. Still, that doesn't help the more immediate problem of basically NO tread on the right rear tire. And the stupid thing is that the "fullsize" spare I have for it is 220/70/15 instead of 235/75/15 like the rest... Go figure.

I'm exhausted, pissed off, and annoyed so I'm going to lay down and relax for a while. Maybe think of what I can do. Thanks for the help.

o you would probably have to change your gears too if you put those 33" tires on

You need more then springs for 33" tires
You need drop brackets

I don't know, I ran those 33 9.5s too and being narrow suckers you might be driveable with minor mods. You might be able to squeeze play them into the front with a 2" spacer and some minor trimming. When I had 32s and a 3" body lift I didn't really have any rubbing issues that I can recall. The hammer didn't come out until the 35s went on after the suspension lift. That whole 9.50 instead of being 2-3 inches wider makes them fit a much tighter places.

33 x 9.5 x 15 fit. No trim. No lift. I'll post pics as soon as I find my camera.

There is a very slight rub on the inside rear of the front fenders when the wheels are turned to max lock.
If you weren't actually listening for it, you would never hear it.

So unless my truck is somehow unique, they should fit on any other one.

Now I must go poke fun at Les Schwab, Advantage Tire and Ed's Tire Factory. They all swore they would not fit without "massive" trimming or lift.

Forgot to mention, I just trail drive, I don't rock crawl. So unless I somehow get myself into a really bad situation, I wont have to worry about turning while flexing the suspension. Also, there is still 2" of fender clearance and another 2" inside the well.

Oh yeah, I've also got a set of Yukon 4.56's on the way, that I ordered a week ago, so gears are not a problem.

33's on stock! What!
I have to see it to believe it!

33's on stock! What!

He did say they were used.... Maybe no tread.
My 31's filled the wheel well out pretty much full before I did my BL and Susp. lift. So 33's gotta be tight.

Pics would be cool though.

33's on stock! What!

This ^^

I tried to dump 6 gallons of water into a 5 gallon bucket once. Just to make absolutely certain it couldn't be done.

------------------------------

Even if you could squeeze on those 33's, what do you plan to do with the Ex ? Leave it sit in the driveway? That's about all you will be able to do with it, as long as the suspension is unmodified.

Uploading pics to photobucket right now, they have about 75% tread left. Still have the "****" on the sidewall so they aren't that used.

They're not great quality 'cause they were taken on my phone, but still good.
I have pictures of it flexed out with the 33's but they refuse to come off the phone. If worse comes to worse, I'll take the front anti-roll bar off again and run down to the rock pile at the ponds.

Sidewall
Snap0029.jpg

:D
Snap0031.jpg

:D
Snap0030.jpg

White spot on the ground is where I accidentally clicked when I "blipped" my plate. Touchy mouse.

Oh ok. I see now.

Reply to below v.

That 3" of difference (33x9.50 vrs 33 x 12.50) is the key. The 33" puts it very close to the fenders when you turn the wheel but the extra 3" of narrowness is what keep it from ripping apart the fenders...

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep. That's why I chose the 33x9.5 over the 32x12. Figured there would be a better chance of stuffing the 33's.

Back