• Register Today It's free!

Snorkel Top/Head

Pollarican

Reaction score
City, State
Wall Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB 4dr
From what I gather searching far and wide through Explorerforum snorkel build threads, it seems that the ARB Snorkel top is the standard when building one of these things for our Ex's. However, it looks like im going to be paying at least $70 for this snorkel top, the cheapest price I have found trying to browse around for replacement parts.

Additionally, I came across this snorkel top, which leads me to question how many people have actually tried this thing.

http://www.lrrforums.com/store/index.php?category_id=215&target=categories

It would only cost 10-15 dollars more then a generic ARB top, and I would be curious to see if any of you guys have any knowledge on this thing.

P.S. - If any of you can direct me to a place to get a snorkel head significantly cheaper, Plus 100 manpoints.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get a mushroom top from a commercial plumbing supply store. They can also be found online. They are not ram air, but we are talking about a explorer for offroading.

Agree with uncle meat it can be done cheap, but they look sooo much better with an ARB cap. Personally I think the cap you linked to would look pretty good on a 2nd gen X. But I think the boxy original style suits our trucks more. Either one is going to be snazzy, And I don't know how much I believe that this new design has better water separation properties. Probably just more aerodynamic.

I was thinking the same thing Little X. Uncle Meat I appreciate the money saver tip, but I feel like if I'm going to fab a snorkel I might as well go for the boxy ARB, I have always been partial to the way they look on the first gens. I think the H1 hummers and such can pull off the mushroom top out of the cowl, but I have a feeling it would look tacky on a first gen.

Yea, I like the ARB style too. Some people like the budget build.

here is my top 3 inch top to bottom
100_4202.jpg

100_3706.jpg

100_4201.jpg

it is not arb but it grows on you after awile and the hole project cost about 40 dollars:D

i got my arb snorkel head from 4x4connection.com i think it was like $50 plus $10 s&h... bought it a long time ago so i don't really remember to well.

edit: they may have went up in price... or i paid more than i remembered. http://www.4by4connection.com/jeep3.html bottom of the page is a "replacement snorkel head"

I'm also looking at getting a few of those toppers.

Perhaps a group buy in order?

97Ford how does that snorkel top design do in terms of keeping water out? I think it looks pretty damn good for a $40 dollar build.

CBII, sounds interesting to me. I'd love to get one of these, I've postponed the idea for a while in order to save the cash for my suspension. However, with a convincing price I couldn't pass it up.

97Ford how does that snorkel top design do in terms of keeping water out? I think it looks pretty damn good for a $40 dollar build.

CBII, sounds interesting to me. I'd love to get one of these, I've postponed the idea for a while in order to save the cash for my suspension. However, with a convincing price I couldn't pass it up.

keeps out water very well I also have it triple filtered
:D:D

i have my fender off now but is there room for 3in pvc? i question it?

other than water in-take issues (which I will solve like noted above), what else are the major issues I need to address for deep water driving in my 2002 Explorer?

other than water in-take issues (which I will solve like noted above), what else are the major issues I need to address for deep water driving in my 2002 Explorer?

Depends upon what you mean by "deep". At a minimum, extend all the breather lines (front & rear axle, transfer case, transmission). You may also want to seal/move the vehicle computer (I'm not sure where it is an '02, but in the older models it was in the kick panel and you could move it up behind the glovebox).

Back