• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

awhughes

Reaction score
City, State
Kernersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 exp, xlt sohc, 4x4
Curious as to the mileage of the sohc's v6 Explorers here. I have 185,350 miles on a stock all original 1997 XLT and still running like a champ. Any other high milers out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 192,500 on my 99 sohc. I can tell the valves have loosened up but it still runs good. Having problems with tranny, but, hey, it is a 5r55e. What should I expect.

182,3XX or so....needs timing chains/guides eventually

113,000 on my 99 Sport SOHC. I recently replaced the tranny because reverse went out. Other than that the only other things I had to do it were sway bar end links, upper balljoint, front/rear brake pads/rotors.

170,000 on my 1998, still holding strong with nothing more than the usual expendable parts.

159k on my 2000. Never had any work done to it except for have the Tcase shif t motor replaced and normal wear and tear parts. Engine rebuild in the near future due to the timing chain issue.

226813 on my 99 4.0 SOHC when I trated it in.... The timing chains rattled badly. I never fixed them..... Changed the oil every 3k with mobil 1 since the thing was new...

Edit... Oh yeah I went off road with it since it was new....

148,000 on our 98 XLT. Off road it and use it for heavy towing. TC problems fixed, only other problems are normal wear and tear parts.

only a 103 on my 99 eddie.....but it had 60k when i got it and put 40k on it in 10 months..whith college commuting...i have faith in her that she will go another 100k easy

108K on my '99. Everything's great, except for a frustrating ABS problem:mad:

149K on my OHV.... Just goes to show you that OHV are almost as good as the SOHCs, if taken care off. :thumbsup: Gave me some problems but were easy to take care off. (knock on wood)

136,6XX on my 00 Sport. Just did sway bar end links and the parking brake shoes. Catalytic converter(s) in the very near future.

98 ohv

New trans at 62k, I use it for family and towing camp trailer . Blend door needs repair , looking for shocks and will be changing plugs and wire this year. 98,250 miles

190,x.. on the sohc and i have recently started hearing what i think is the timing chain tick tick tick. Runs well though!

290k on my 97 and still running. needs a tune up though that and to replace front main seal

1997 XLT...198,500...put in a used tranny with 95,000 on it 2 years ago at 165,000. All stock, has been getting synthetic oil since 2001. I've been getting the timing chain rattle for at least a year now; that repair is on my list for the fall.

216,000 on my 97 sport, nothing major..yet!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

160K on my SOHC. New tranny and transfercase at 135K and 145K respectively. Been a good engine, but it sounds like a diesel right now. I have heard of people driving with THE noise for a ton of miles and others who's bombed shortly after it started. I figure I'll just let it run until it eventually croaks... here's to another 160K! :chug:

Back