• Register Today It's free!

8.8 Axle Shaft Lengths

Bronco II

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburg, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
Bronco II, 1987 & 1988
Okay, I've looked & looked for hours & can't find axle shaft lengths for the Explorer 8.8" rear ends, drum or disc brake. I've found info on Ranger 8.8" axles, but they are just 28 spline units. I need a rear end a little narrower than the 7.5" in my Bronco II. The Ranger 7.5" axles are about the right width, but again 28 spline shafts. I'm trying to see if I can use short side axle shafts & narrow the housing to get close to the over all width I'm looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

30-5/8 Driver's
27-3/4 Passenger's

Thanks. Is that a drum or disc axle shafts? From what I've read the disc axles are wider.

That figure is for the drum axle.

30-5/8 Driver's
27-3/4 Passenger's

I've got 30 1/2 and 27 5/8. That's disc or drum brake it doesn't make a different it's all from 91-02. Now the ranger has 31 spline axles 99-06 but it's only certain models and they are 30.25" and 27.25". Theres also the fullsize bronco axles but I'd imagine they are too big for whatever your using them for.

snip...I need a rear end a little narrower than the 7.5" in my Bronco II. The Ranger 7.5" axles are about the right width, but again 28 spline shafts. ...snip

What about something out of a {gasp} Jeep?

27, 29, 30 spline axles only in a Jeep. No 31's.

Theres also the fullsize bronco axles but I'd imagine they are too big for whatever your using them for.

I think they work just fine:p:

Rear.jpg

I think they work just fine:p:

Rear.jpg

I love full width axles on my 4x4s, but I'm bagging & body dropping one of my Bronco IIs on a narrowed Toyota pickup chassis. I want the 31 spline axles because I'm hoping to eventually run a 5.0 with AOD or a 4.6 with a 4R70W in the future. The Explorers also have the same lug pattern as the Toyota pickups do, so I can run the same wheels at all four corners & carry just one spare.

so I can run the same wheels at all four corners & carry just one spare.

That's why I went to the Bronco axle. 5x5.5 like my front 44;)

I don't see what's wrong with 28 spline axles, rarely see 7.5 break behind V8s, usually the gears, which is what the 28 spline 8.8 solved.

Yeah, but if I gotta go to Pick-N-Pull to get a rear end I might as well get one that's the beefiest. I narrow rear end housings so all I need is two short shafts. And also the Explorer rear ends use bigger axle bearings just like the full sizes, means the shafts are also bigger at the axle bearings, Rangers use the small bearings.

Yeah just use two of the small ends and be done with it.

Back