S.A.S. and use stock buckets??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

S.A.S. and use stock buckets???

d44 from 77 bronco going into 88 broncoII and want to use the stock 88 buckets for the early bronco coils. the coils are bigger how do i adapt them to original b2 buckets? bend some tabs, cut some out...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

d44 from 77 bronco going into 88 broncoII and want to use the stock 88 buckets for the early bronco coils. the coils are bigger how do i adapt them to original b2 buckets? bend some tabs, cut some out...?

I think most guys have used springs from a Jeep to retain the stock spring mounts. The full size springs are much larger around than the stock Bronco ones. But the only problem with the Jeep ones is they are very soft and you will need to get a spring that is designed for 8-10 inches of lift to get 6 inches of lift depending on what engine and front vehicle weight you have on it (ie. super deeee doooper winch bumper, dual batteries ect...). Most guys just buy new upper coil mounts or retain them from the donor vehicle if you are lucky enough to get the whole vehicle. You can buy them from various places on the web.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/

https://broncograveyard.com

Hope this helps.

Eric

You can use the stock coil buckets IF you remove the tabs that stick down inside the stock coil springs AND you install something to retain the top of the coils in the bucket.

You can use a set of '99 F-250 2wd coil spring retainers. They are about $30 from a dealership.

Here is my coils with them installed, I am using RBV coils, but they will work the same with F-150 or early Bronco coils.
IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

The biggest issue with using stock buckets is that you will lose close to 4" of uptravel because of shock placement. I am reworking a solid axle ranger right now and we just cut off the buckets and are using the early bronco coil buckets and shock towers to mount the top of the shock nearly 5" higher than where the stock TTB shock mounts.

We were looking at this truck and couldn't figure out why there was 6" bump stops on it only allowing 3" of uptravel, we took out the springs and realized that the shocks were way too short and limited all uptravel.

The biggest issue with using stock buckets is that you will lose close to 4" of uptravel because of shock placement. I am reworking a solid axle ranger right now and we just cut off the buckets and are using the early bronco coil buckets and shock towers to mount the top of the shock nearly 5" higher than where the stock TTB shock mounts.

We were looking at this truck and couldn't figure out why there was 6" bump stops on it only allowing 3" of uptravel, we took out the springs and realized that the shocks were way too short and limited all uptravel.
There are other easier and cheaper ways to do use longer shocks. One way would be to build a shock hoop like the old style James Duff hoops (pictured below). Another would be to use the '99-'03 F-250 4wd shock towers. If you cut the stock shock tower off the coil bucket and mount the F-250, you can install a 5-6" longer shock. The shock tower can be had at a dealer for about $20 each. A picture of what the F-250 shock tower looks like is below also.

I have a set of the F-250 shock towers for sale for $20 + shipping. They have been modified to use a stud upper mount (they used a eye upper mount when stock).

Shock Hoop (James Duff old style pictured):
100_4975.jpg

F-250 Coil bucket (the ones I have have been modified to fit an stud upper shock mount):
100_4752.jpg

100_4753.jpg

This is what I used for some time with the ttb.
Copy_of_DSCF0096.jpg

There are other easier and cheaper ways to do use longer shocks.

Not really sure how your way is easier or cheaper. It's pretty much exactly how I'm doing this.

F250 shock towers for eyelet style shocks were $30 bucks for the pair
Coil buckets- available at the junkyard or $95 bucks online.

The early bronco coils may fit but the aftermarket buckets just seem to work much better.

Attachments

• SAS 013.jpg
    SAS 013.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,514

How did you modify it to fit the driver side frame rail? Do you have any pictures of that?

looks like ill be using the stock buckets and using my 79 bronco shock towers but ill just be using the eb 5.5" coils with the 99 2wd superduty coil spring retainers.

thx for the help

This is how i'm doing mine. The plate is 1/4" and was mainly added to give me a mounting point for my track bar and to reinforce the sector area. I cut out a piece of 2x6" 1/4" tubing and cut the back to fit the endention in the chassis. The front two bolts in the tower are fastened to the 2x6 with 1/2" bolts (grade 8) with the nuts welded on the inside. The back two run through the chassis and the 2x6, with spacers inside to keep the 2x6 from collapsing. The 2x6 is welded to the chassis. the axle is 2" forward any more than that and you will have to relocate the steering sector forward to compensate for the new steer angle. Also be awair of the location of the crossmember on the right side as it could interfear with the top right bolt placement.

DSC02184.JPG

DSC02198.JPG

DSC02192.JPG

That doesn't look too bad. How far out did you extend the bucket?

2" Which is pretty much standard on full width axles

I dont remember who but if you flip the spring pad around you dont have to space it. In that case you just notch the bucket to fit the frame.

any cheap suggestions for doing my steering?

i have oriional tie rod but what bout frm pitman arm towards spindal?

Steering is very important, dont cut corners here. If you cant find some stock components to do the trick concider using 1 ton tre's and dom tubing. I ordered mine from ballistic fab for around 240.00. You can source the joints and parts to do it cheeper but it is nice to buy it all together. If you go that route you will need a ball joint reamer from speedwaymotors.com. They are around 75.00. I know more money. If you could get some one to cut down the draglink and rethread it that may be a possibility. Just keep in mind this part needs to be safe. Check the sas forum i think I have seen someone use stock parts.

Back