Utility trailer built from B2 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Utility trailer built from B2

I've got this wild idea on making a small utility trailer for my chopped top Bronco2. Since there's hardly no room in the bed due to my 33" spare tire mounted back there on the cage. I'm giving it some thought on making one out of another matching Bronco 2 :confused: Maybe like cutting it in half at the pillar behind the door. Enclosing it off. Them skinning over all side glass and rear hatch glass with metal. Leave the rear hatch operable. And also rear axel. Then extending frame to a point with hitch. I have not even looked at another B2 to see if it is even feasible.
I know you guys have seen some old hot rods with matching trailer towed behind.
I know it would not hold much, but should be great for camping gear, hunting and fishing and even hauling home the venison. Could even put same matching stars and stripes paint job on it like the B2. Small roof cage even.
Has any one ever seen this done to a B2?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just keep that rear end filled, as it's easy to overlook. If you forget, it'll seize up and you're SOL. That's a bonus to running a trailer axle, only have to grease the hubs.

Just keep that rear end filled, as it's easy to overlook. If you forget, it'll seize up and you're SOL. That's a bonus to running a trailer axle, only have to grease the hubs.

Point well taken :thumbsup:

I think keeping the axle full (it shouldn't really empty itself anyway) is a lot easier than messing with tubs of grease and bearings... I hate grease and wheel bearings. Just change the fluid in the diff once so it's fresh, it should last almost forever because it's not going to be under any load.

I think keeping the axle full (it shouldn't really empty itself anyway) is a lot easier than messing with tubs of grease and bearings... I hate grease and wheel bearings. Just change the fluid in the diff once so it's fresh, it should last almost forever because it's not going to be under any load.

That's what I'm going to do. Just change fluid. I've seen way to many trailers on the interstate with those failed bearings. Now I also check the outer bearings on this one while I'm at it.
I called and they said i should have it sometime tomorrow :D

Now I need to know where to I place a trailer build thread at?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/honda2nr4life/PICT1888.jpg

This is a pic of my chopped top B2 I'm using for reference. My plan so far is to cut right at where the door meets the pillar. This might be what is called the B Pillar. Continue that cut across roof and down to other side. That would put the cut in front of the shoulder harness that you see on driver side. Here's the good thing. Looking at the roof you can see a black piece of metal coming down from roof. That is a piece that I fabbed up. What I'm getting at is on the other side of that metal up against the roof is a roof support. So now there is a roof support between where I made the cut and where the side glass used to butt up against that pillar. That's the gray primer area.
But I'm leaving the glass in on the trailer. So I'm hoping that this should give that end of the truck some stability while I'm makeing some kind of encloser.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/honda2nr4life/PICT1888.jpg

This is a pic of my chopped top B2 I'm using for reference.,,,
Here you go:
PICT1888.jpg

Time for the fun to begin... :notworthy :popcorn:

IMG_0113.jpg

Moderator, I don't know if this trailer build should go here or not?
It's finally here . It was delivered around 1:00 PM today. There's going to be a lot of pics initially. I like taking the pics because it gives me something to fall back on when this thing is hopefully completed. I noticed that it really helped on my Chopped top B2 when I needed to know, just how did I do that. It's hell getting old and forgetting stuff
Once I started tearing things out, I found out just how sweet this truck is. And to think it was going to the crusher. The price of steel has probably sent a fleet of these B2 to the crusher

IMG_0114.jpg

That bumper is like brand new.

IMG_0116.jpg

Starting to demo the inside. No rust on fenders, so these will be saved. The passenger seat has no rips or tears. Can't say the same for driver side. Doors will be saved also, again no rust .

IMG_0122.jpg

Now this is what I wanted to see under all that carpeting and seats. Looks like the day it rolled off the show room floor. Again no rust

IMG_0127.jpg

Headliner, doors and all molded plastic interior gone. My cut will be where the back of the door meets the body. There is a nice straight vertical body line that is bent in. I'll leave the bend for stiffness. This cut works out great with that diagonal roof support that's above shoulder strap.

IMG_0131.jpg

This is when I was holding my breath as I was cutting along the bend on the outside of truck. I cut right in the corner of the bend. It has about a 5/8" bend that is turned in. This is where I'll fasten some kind of panel to.
Those are just paint scratches on the red paint when the cutting wheel got a little close.
Then the inside I cut with tin snips. But first had to notch into the bends so I could cut the vertical piece. Makes cutting a whole lot easier.

IMG_0135.jpg

Almost done with the vertical inside sheet metal panel. Around the floor is going to be a little tricky. Plus I have to leave enough structural support. But I can always add some if I have to.

IMG_0137.jpg

Now you can see the roof support and how it lines up close with my vertical cut.

IMG_0136.jpg

Now this is going to be a little tricky also. The rear is to the left. The cut that I made lines up with the spring perch that is on left. Then you see the body mount. Check how clean it looks. No rust. Now look further to the right and there is a diagonal floor support that runs from frame to frame. My thinking is make my floor cut just to the right of this support. This way I still have the body mount plus that floor support that follows the curve of the floor.
So when it's cut the floor will be out further then the vertical cut I made. Could make a tool box on top of that extended floor part or just angle the enclosure from roof to that extended floor.
OK, I'm done for tonight. Since I really don't have any threads anywhere that I can see how others have done B2s, if there are any, that have done this. All comments are appreciated.

looking good...

Thanks TedJ. The cool part is when I make the roof cut. I think that I'll mark a line from where I stopped the vertical cut across roof to same point of other side. Still need to cut other vertical also. But what I'm getting at, is instead of cutting on the line across roof. Make my cut about 1/2" in front of line toward driver side. Then bend down to make a reinforcing seam. Also this would give me an edge to fasten the forward bulkhead to.

But what will even be cooler :D is when I do the floor. The fact that I'm not going to cut straight across from the vertical on the floor should be interesting.

If the roof and floor works out. Then the biggest cut of all...The Frame :eek:.

Next would be to actually push the two halfs apart :D That is going to look Weird :confused:
Then at this point I should get a good feel to see if the roof needs to be reinforced.

Thanks Froader, posted same time.

Subscribing...

This is cool. Amazing that you found a truck with no rust - better for you!

I know what you mean Scott. About a quarter of a century old :eek:

IMG_0143.jpg

Going to need to clean this up.

IMG_0142.jpg

That's better.
IMG_0138.jpg

Continuing line from door cut to roof. This is a slight angle.

IMG_0144.jpg

I'm at the point of no return now :eek:

IMG_0145.jpg

Bingo, frame is cut, and I have completely dissected this Bronco2 :confused:
One very important point. If anybody does this same thing, be sure to use enough jack stands. I had a total of 6. One was at each end also. I was not sure which way this truck would want to shift when the last cut through frame was made.
Also I can not emphasize the importance of safety glasses. Some of these cuts were at difficult angles and stuff was flying everywhere. One wheel even exploded on me :eek:

IMG_0147.jpg

I've decided on 19/32 plywood for a bulkhead. For some good reasons I think. One is I needed some more weight on the tongue, It really adds support for the roof, It is easy to attach to the truck and then I can add sheet metal covering of some sort or even ABS plastic.

IMG_0148.jpg

Tracing.

IMG_0151.jpg

Cutting.

IMG_0153.jpg

Fitting. Notice how I let the top stick out further then the vertical cut. At first I was going to bend down and add some sort of bulkhead. But once I got the plywood I thought it would be better for the roof to attach over top. Also those jagged edges will be cut clean.
This will protect the plywood better and really support the roof.

IMG_0152.jpg

Need to notch for those roof bends.

IMG_0157.jpg

Starting to fit like a glove.

IMG_0156.jpg

Now all I have to do is to fasten to truck. At this point I'll probably just use some tempo ray screws.
Also notice that you can see why I cut the floor longer then the door cut. That floor support underneath should really help strengthen this up.
Plus I'm going to build a tool box on that extended floor :D

The plan so far is going a little to smooth :eek:

Just thought of somthing while looking a the last pic. I'm going to paint it like the my B2, so I'll continue that body panel part that is painted on the side to wrap around the new bulkhead also.

Great start :thumbsup:

Would have been funny if you could have just chopped out the doors, and welded it all back together. Then, instead of having a toolbox in front, you could have your storage under the hood :D

Thanks toy, that would be funny. But I want a trailer that is smaller then the B2.

IMG_0162.jpg

Looking inside. If you notice in the back is a roof support. I was very lucky that it lined up perfect with the vertical cut I made from the door jamb. Not to mention the interior light
Wonder if Ford engineers planed it this way for later use as a trailer :rolleyes:
My wife came out to look at, and suggested when It's done to get one of those tents that fasten to the back of a truck and use it for camping also. Just lift the hatch and attach tent to it. To make it longer in the back to sleep in, all I would have to do is make a slidable floor in the truck that would slide out with some kind of foldable legs.

IMG_0168.jpg

Silicone sealer along seams. Now when it's done, if ever :D This will have a finished look.

IMG_0173.jpg

This is where I'm thankful I spent some time figuring out how and where to cut the floor board.
Here is the molded floor support that I've talked about. This will really give it some strength. Also about 8" behind that is a body mount. Now to the main reason I did it this way.

IMG_0161.jpg

A tool box on the frame.

I really like this one. It's made for trailers. I need some more tongue weight and this one is made of steel. I found it at Family Farm, imagine that . I like the price also, about $$260.

I'm also kicking around the idea cutting into the bulkhead above tool box with an extension that comes out some. Maybe around the same width as the box. Like the ones you see on campers mounted on truck beds and extends over cab. It would make for more storage area inside. Now to give some thought to interior curtains :eek: Even if I don't, it could always be done later.

Is that plywood rated for outside use? If it's not it's going to decintergrate when it's exposed to the weather...

I'm going to seal it. But I really don't think that I'll even have to. It will be laminated with fiberglass, sheet metal or ABS plastics. All edges will have trim. It will be just like the big trucks that have plywood sheeting and then some kind of covering.
I used to own a company that built travel cases for Bands, Pro Football teams, or anybody else that need an approved Airline flight case. In fact my cases are still used by Washington Redskins, Dallas and the Raiders, They last for many years. What I'm getting at is that they were all built with plywood then laminated with whatever the teams wanted. Back then ABS plastic was the hot ticket. They were constantly out in the weather. It's the way that there put together that keeps the moisture out. Now the way that I will eventually cover the plywood will be along those same lines. Including some kind of edging. On the Road cases that I built we use an extruded aluminum edging.
Don't mean to blow my own horn about those cases that I did. But it was fun to see Washington Redskins with my cases still setting on the sidelines today :D
I think this is the first time I ever even mentioned about the cases. Even did some Rock bands and major NY plays. But I got a partner and things went south. But that's for another thread.

I really appreciate your concern. Please keep watching and commenting. Now I know that I have to take extra precautions about what your saying.\

See Ya :salute:

Ah ok... For some reason I was under the impression you were going to leave it that way, but it looks like you know what you're doing.

Carry on... Keep up the good work.

Edit.... I just realized you said about covering it in an earlier post... thats what I get for looking at the shiny pictures and not reading the words lol

Ah ok... For some reason I was under the impression you were going to leave it that way, but it looks like you know what you're doing.

Carry on... Keep up the good work.

Edit.... I just realized you said about covering it in an earlier post... thats what I get for looking at the shiny pictures and not reading the words lol

I've had several people walk by my garage and say the same thing about the bare plywood :)

IMG_0176.jpg

OK, installed fiberglass sheeting. I used construction adhesive to glue to the plywood. This is just like some of the big trucks have. Still need finishing on edges. If that white was painted red, I don't think it would look that bad right now. then add the white body panel. I course I would keep the same paint scheme as my Chopped top B2. If I select another paint job, I would have to to the trailer to.

IMG_0179.jpg

The owner said if I take it out $30 :D
So if I install the window up high and then the tool box of some kind setting on frame. It would look just like the back of a Ranger bed looking at the Cab.
And if I do use it for camping, the window would be nice.

Back