which locker | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

which locker

What about them? Selectable, drives normal on the street, expensive, requires on board air and many more parts to go wrong. To me a selectable isn't worth the price, I don't mind how autolockers handle and I like being able to stomp it and put power down through both tires instead of spinning one, the only selectable LS/locker combo is the Aurburn ECTED but it is not a true locker, the clutches only get tighter, there is no positive locking mechanism and they are known to slip.

I know how they work mechanically, I was just wondering what everybody's opinion was, does anyone who run them have any input?

Sorry, I am not trying to steal the thread, just thought since the topic is lockers I would ask the question here rather than start a new one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like wheel slippage for sure in snow (not that I'd be hard on the gas anyway).

Rainy roads might be that fine line that gets a fella in trouble, with an Aussie in the rear diff??
Just don't get stupid. In the snow with an open front last year in 4x4 I never noticed the locker and had great traction, 2wd you'd obviously slide easier. In the rain it wasn't an issue until I swapped in a 4.0 now 2nd gear on sharp corners I can light em up by slowly rolling the gas I can also break them both loose at 40 MPH without using the clutch in the rain, but neither things are likely to happen unless you make them happen.

I have an ARB in the back of my ranger and wouldn't change. They work awesome either full lock or full open (invisible). Only downside is the air. Sealing them can be a challenge and routing lines can be a challenge. But for operation, flawless as far as I concerned

I have an ARB in the back of my ranger and wouldn't change. They work awesome either full lock or full open (invisible). Only downside is the air. Sealing them can be a challenge and routing lines can be a challenge. But for operation, flawless as far as I concerned
I know they work very well, personally though I like being locked on the street as well as having something less complicated.

welp from replies and different web sites i have definately decided on the aussie for the front so hopefully i will be able to install it soon

...The Aussie is great...:biggthump

...But as mentioned, on tight rough terrain, flexing and contorted, it is tough turning with an Aussie up front...I also would rather climb up the back side of the mountain when the roads are patchy ice and snow....

...The Aussie will climb and maneuver quite well, and other than the 2 things I mentioned, I would never even know it was in there other than by the expressions on peoples faces as my X tops out on another loose rock hill or plows thru deep snow...:D

i know you already decided on the aussie, good choice, but her's my two cents anyways...

for an inexpesnive locker i would go with the aussie.
for the d35 ttb i would rather have a selectable locker though. it seems like the people with ARB,s have less broken parts. there's a lot of strain on the axle with a locker it would be good to leave it open and hit the "lock" switch only when you need it so that you're front axle isn't always under a heavy load. but who can afford selectabale lockers? :rolleyes:

i had an aussie, it was pretty good. good customer service if you have any questions/problems. and they're the only company that doesn't have a tire size limit on their warranty.

only problem with aussie that i had is that my right foot is way too heavy. that being said i brok a lot of hubs. so i went with a trac-loc limited slip and it's worked great :thumbsup:

i know you already decided on the aussie, good choice, but her's my two cents anyways...

for an inexpesnive locker i would go with the aussie.
for the d35 ttb i would rather have a selectable locker though. it seems like the people with ARB,s have less broken parts. there's a lot of strain on the axle with a locker it would be good to leave it open and hit the "lock" switch only when you need it so that you're front axle isn't always under a heavy load. but who can afford selectabale lockers? :rolleyes:

i had an aussie, it was pretty good. good customer service if you have any questions/problems. and they're the only company that doesn't have a tire size limit on their warranty.

only problem with aussie that i had is that my right foot is way too heavy. that being said i brok a lot of hubs. so i went with a trac-loc limited slip and it's worked great :thumbsup:

Great advice!

I run Ected's front and rear and like them alot. I've heard from lots of people who don't have them about their downfalls (slipping). I went with an Ected in my d35 because I wanted a cheap locker that I could shut off. I've never had trouble steering with it disengaged. Also I didn't want an expensive locker (arb) in a diff I would probably replace with a SAS. I should add that this is my family's second vehicle and I drive it in the snow all winter with no problems.

Back