• Register Today It's free!

need some opinions

bustedstuff

Reaction score
City, State
Scranton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 X 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The funny thing is my car was either a police vehicle or construction to begin with because it has all the holes in the roof from the lighting. Which brings me to my next thing where can I find a mountaineer roof rack.

and again I need to know what supplies to use and how to sand it down.

it would look something like this

2007TJsTRUCK0049.jpg

I have something similar like that done, i don't have teh same rims, i have the 16s but they're painted black with the stock chrome caps, take a look at my registry in my sig.

justin

How did you get that done, did you do it yourself?

How did you get that done, did you do it yourself?

Yes, You have to take the rims off. it's easier if you do them all at once, i did it at work, and left my ex up on jackstands for the day, but however you do it is up to you. I sanded mine down, with 220 grit, then 400 grit, cleaned it off and let them dry, then i sprayed down 4 or 5 coats, i used flat black .99 cent spray paint, you can use whatever you want, gloss satin, bed liner. just take your time and make sure you wait the recomended amount of time, otherwise they will chip. i actually borrowed a spare set of rims off a ranger for the day so i could let mine sit overnight, but this would be an easy weekend project.

good luck and post pics when you complete it.

Justin

Sounds easy enough, thanks for your help.

and is it possible to paint them when theyre still on, im assuming no but I thought Id ask.

My rig also has black rims and chrome center caps. Originally I was going to paint the caps black, but then didn't mind the look at all.

Sounds easy enough, thanks for your help.

and is it possible to paint them when theyre still on, im assuming no but I thought Id ask.

possible, but extremely hard, and so totally not worth the paint running on you. It's just better all around to take them off. if you have the capability to take the tires off that helps too.. other wise just tape them off.

Good luck

You should probably take them off and paint them. It will make it easier and produce better results. Not to mention you don't want to get paint overspray on your truck or brakes.

You could take down your spare, swap it with one rim and sand/paint one at a time. That way you can do it right the first time and not rush it.

You should probably take them off and paint them. It will make it easier and produce better results. Not to mention you don't want to get paint overspray on your truck or brakes.

You could take down your spare, swap it with one rim and sand/paint one at a time. That way you can do it right the first time and not rush it.

I would have done this, but i painted after i upgraded my tire size, and i have that control trac and it doesn't do very well with different size tires, i have 31's now, and my spare was a 225 70 15!:eek:

Back