Truckhaven Turkey Day run '08 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truckhaven Turkey Day run '08

Gotcha:thumbsup:

Where we gonna camp, bluffs I presume?
Plan B if the bluffs are crowded, just find the closest available spot?

I know there some people from Pirate planning on camping over there already.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I vote for the bluffs, but that is because its closer for me and I dig the view. Plus it will not be as crowded. Are we talking about the bluffs off of the original Truckhaven Trail?
I posted some pictures of my torque arm creation on another thread..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2064131#post2064131
Tomorrow I am taking it for a 20 mile test drive.

I vote for the bluffs, but that is because its closer for me and I dig the view. Plus it will not be as crowded. Are we talking about the bluffs off of the original Truckhaven Trail?

Yes, our usual bluff's spot, I'm thinking it will be crowded being a big weekend and all. Guess we'll see how it goes when we get there;)

I was thinking we could camp closer to the relay tower and have a more direct access to the Truckhaven Hills, but there are more rocks.............a lot more rocks. Those small to medium back scratching rocks when you are trying to sleep in a tent. Oh, yes, I remember those days.
Tom, glad to hear you are coming out. Can't you borrow your RV for the weekend and return it to the shop after? We need to figure a way to keep you in camp for nighttime.

Bluffs will be closer for me too this time, since I'll be leaving from Canyon Lake, going through Borrego Springs. Haven't towed down that big hill yet. :) Hopefully the trailer is available...

Bluffs will be closer for me too this time, since I'll be leaving from Canyon Lake, going through Borrego Springs. Haven't towed down that big hill yet. :) Hopefully the trailer is available...
Does that trailer have brakes?
You can really feel the heavy towed vehicle pushing you down that grade. Just remember to keep it slow and gear down. I leave the RV in second the whole way down the grade, 20-30 miles per hour.

yeah...I think I'm gonna say I'm out sense I heard it's going to be raining Fri and Sat. :(

I also heard snow level will be down to 4500ft. then. Maybe I got to Big Bear instead :p:

Does that trailer have brakes?
You can really feel the heavy towed vehicle pushing you down that grade. Just remember to keep it slow and gear down. I leave the RV in second the whole way down the grade, 20-30 miles per hour.
Oh yeah it's got brakes. I wouldn't think of towing without trailer brakes. That's the plan is to just keep it in the lower gears and take my time.

It is looking like I might have my truck ready for this run. It is also looking like tracy mightbring her jeep as well sense her dad might come with us.

the big grade coming down into borrego is fun to tow down. Just have to keep in 2nd and lightly use the brakes. Going up is a differnt story. My truck is always hunting between first and second to get up it.

I hope you get it done in time. Stop typing and get back to it! :p:

I don't think my van would have a problem going back up the grade, but I'll probably be going home the easier way anyway. 86>10>blah>blah...

I hope you get it done in time. Stop typing and get back to it! :p:

I don't think my van would have a problem going back up the grade, but I'll probably be going home the easier way anyway. 86>10>blah>blah...

Ditto!

Gotta start checking into these threads again... even if it's only to say I can't be there due to family obligations (or staying safe at home while tourists try to kill each other on the way to the ski slopes).

I imagine it will be much more interesting if it rains hard down there. Hope you all have a blast :thumbsup:

Yeap...For sure out:( Have to work Friday and Sunday:thumbdwn:

Dave, if you could bring the Tailgate and give it Colin That would be great. I'll have to meet up with him for his van springs anyway;)

Matt, if you have had time to pick-up the Liftgate, please also give to Colin

Thanks Guys;)...Have fun stay safe, and I'll probally see you at MLK. I think I figured out a way to come out for a day and a half then.

Hopfully we can do a run before.:thumbsup:

Yeap...For sure out:( Have to work Friday and Sunday:thumbdwn:

Dave, if you could bring the Tailgate and give it Colin That would be great. I'll have to meet up with him for his van springs anyway;)

Bummer Steve:thumbdwn:
Yeah, I can bring it out no problem;)

I may not be out until Fri. night now, got some work and not sure how long it'll take me.

Tom, glad to hear you are coming out. Can't you borrow your RV for the weekend and return it to the shop after? We need to figure a way to keep you in camp for nighttime.

No can do Brian. MH is in Clovis New Mexico getting a new engine. It blew on me between Tucamcari and Albuquerque. Good old Ford quality. It's on warrenty. Faulty thermostat. I'll figure something out. Engine had 35,000 mi. on it. The way I look at it I'm ahead with a new engine. :D

So, when is everyone showing up?

Looks like most of us will be there Fri. afternoon:thumbsup:
You gonna make it out Show?

Looks like most of us will be there Fri. afternoon:thumbsup:
You gonna make it out Show?

Thought about showing up Wed night, but I guess it looks like Thursday night/Friday morning now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, contemplating just driving out Thurs night and heading back Sat morning - if I can get away.

Back