Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
96 4.0L engine code (X) V6 113,000 mi.
Scanned engine
P1121-throttle positioning sensor inconsistent w/ mass air flow sensor
P0761- shift solenoid C performance/stuck off
P1116- engine coolant temperature sensor out of range
Checked compression on number 1 & 6 cylinders
I did this twice. The first time #6 was 70psi on first try and 25psi on second, #1 was 25psi both times.
I ran the scan first and after I ran the scan I tried starting the engine and it sounded like a normal cranking engine, but didn't start. I tried it a second time and it turned over like all the spark plugs were removed from the engine.
When I ran the compression test, and took out the plugs,the spark plugs were dripping with fuel.
These are the only tests I have done so far.
The 1121 code may have been entered from some idiot (ME) spraying ether through the mass airflow sensor trying to see if it would start.
Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I will have to go with timing set problem, specificly cam gear. maybe some teeth are stripped off so sometimes I get more compression than others when it picks up on a tooth when turning over. Wish it wasn't but I think it is.

and that's a lot, but that's all it took to shut down the vehicle?? Scary. Thank you for the update :)

thats no good

96 4.0L engine code (X) V6 113,000 mi.
Scanned engine
P1121-throttle positioning sensor inconsistent w/ mass air flow sensor
P0761- shift solenoid C performance/stuck off
P1116- engine coolant temperature sensor out of range
Checked compression on number 1 & 6 cylinders
I did this twice. The first time #6 was 70psi on first try and 25psi on second, #1 was 25psi both times.
I ran the scan first and after I ran the scan I tried starting the engine and it sounded like a normal cranking engine, but didn't start. I tried it a second time and it turned over like all the spark plugs were removed from the engine.
When I ran the compression test, and took out the plugs,the spark plugs were dripping with fuel.
These are the only tests I have done so far.
The 1121 code may have been entered from some idiot (ME) spraying ether through the mass airflow sensor trying to see if it would start.
Any ideas?

Well usually you disconnect the fuel pump relay for the compression test, at least you know fuel isn't the issue.

Compression test says it all here...

is this an interference engine?

The other codes kinda make sense, I remember when I had the timing failure the pedal would be 3/4 of the way down and it barely moved. That would cause codes for the TPS and the Trans.

Right you are. What I meant was when I took the plugs out to screw in the compression tester, the plugs were wet with fuel. I'm sure from trying to start it two times. From what I have read mine is a non interference engine. Checked on parts from sealed power today. The guy is going to call back to tell me if the cam gear is steel. 50.00 for the three piece timing set, 54.00 for the tensioner. I didn't get a price on the timing cover set. Might be awhile before I get to work on it. Work all week and then supposed to be 10 below on the weekend, my days off.

Back