Eletric to Manual 1354 swap ?

fsumotorhead

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
I have a 96 sport with a 5spd and electric 1354

I just scored a Manual shift 1354 in a trade the other day. I'm well aware of the actual swap, i've had my electric one out 3 or 4 times now.

How do you know exactly where to cut the floor for the shifter?

I have the stock shifter, boot, floor piece and foam insert.

I have read about transmission inspection covers, but see no such thing on mine.

Also, with a manual trans and manual t-case, wasn't there a double shift boot? I can't remember and i want it to appear factory when i'm finished.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming you have a 91-4?

Yes you do have a tunnel cover under the carpet. Just unbolt it. You will need a different tcase boot. It will have boots for the 5 speed and the tcase. I'm thinking you might need to get a tunnel plate also, or cut up the one you have to accommodate the tranny shifter.

Here's my tunnel, I made shifters for the manual and doubler. Just using it to show I have a tunnel plate.
shifter016.jpg

I have a 96 sport with a 5spd and electric 1354

I just scored a Manual shift 1354 in a trade the other day. I'm well aware of the actual swap, i've had my electric one out 3 or 4 times now.

:confused::scratch: I'm confused... You have an electric 13-54 in a 96? Not the original, correct? (The original would have been a 44-05)

Also, with a manual trans and manual t-case, wasn't there a double shift boot? I can't remember and i want it to appear factory when i'm finished.

Thanks!

The 95-ups never had a manual shift option available from the factory. A Ranger may have had that combo available somewhere around '92-'99 or so...

Not to derail the thread, but...

Howdy stranger!!

{/hijack} :)

-Joe

Yes you do have a tunnel cover under the carpet. Just unbolt it. You will need a different tcase boot. It will have boots for the 5 speed and the tcase. I'm thinking you might need to get a tunnel plate also, or cut up the one you have to accommodate the tranny shifter.

Here's my tunnel, I made shifters for the manual and doubler. Just using it to show I have a tunnel plate.
shifter016.jpg

No, i have a 1996.

It looks like my floor pan is all one piece, from what i can tell underneath, with a hole cut out for the 5spd shifter.

:confused::scratch: I'm confused... You have an electric 13-54 in a 96? Not the original, correct? (The original would have been a 44-05)

No, it is a 1354 electric.

:The 95-ups never had a manual shift option available from the factory. A Ranger may have had that combo available somewhere around '92-'99 or so...

Correct, but the 91-94 explores had both a manual tranny and manual shift t-case, as well as many rangers. I just wasn’t sure if they had a “double boot” or if they were individual boots that i could find at a junkyard and utilize on my '96 X

I've never seen a trans tunnel that was one piece. Have you removed the carpet to double check? You can see the removable piece in the picture above.

Back