3 Watt LED in Puddle lamps!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3 Watt LED in Puddle lamps!!!!

so i decided i wanted my puddle lights to be brighter, i already had 6 10mm led in each, well i found this "instructable" for a high power led driver that was really simple to do http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-simple-high-power-LED-driver/ . With high power led you need a "driver" you can buy some for about $5.

So i got some 3 watt leds (110 lumens @ 700mA) so i got a LM317 and a 1.8 ohm 1W resistor. now the resistor will change depending on how many leds you want to hook up and what mA you want to give them

things you'll need
LM317
Resistor
Aluminum (for the heat sink)
High Power LED's
Solder and some wire
Thermal compound

here what some of the parts look like
2mpg2z8.jpg

Connected the resistor to the regulator
fxaut1.jpg

Use thermal compound and screw to heat sink (aluminum) Regulator to Heat sink
2uojoyx.jpg

Use thermal compound and screw to heat sink (aluminum), LED to Heat sink
2ni5q38.jpg

This gets pretty warm, might need more heat sink, i was able to fit this in the puddle light housing without having to cut it.

this is easily 10X brighter and it brighten up the ground (has a wider angle 120 degree. where as the 10mm were like 20 degree), alot more surface area.
its too late to go get pictures outside but i'll get some tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call me ill informed, but what exactly are puddle lamps?

Call me ill informed, but what exactly are puddle lamps?

Some of our trucks have "Puddle lamps" in the bottom of the side mirrors which shine down.

I like this --and want to see the results in a picture please.

Too late? Huh? Isn't it always dark up there?

Ya, JT I wondered about that also.:confused: What ? Better to take the pics in the daylight. Oh ya, they dont have any daylight.:D

Shortstack, Dont you just love working on cars in the cold and then getting **** from us warm weather guys?:rolleyes:

:) i did this mod in my garage and installed them in there too, but the new led's have such a wide angle my garage isn't wide enough, plus i think a picture outside look more "realistic" when comparing other lights. Im gonna go take the pics now, the more i see these the more i love'em :D

how much for you to make me a set ;)

Damn!!!! Way too cool.
Ditto, how much for a set??

looks awesome i am thinkin of getting a set from u how much u charge

OK guys......Take all or any sales questions to PM or email. We dont want to get into a situation here and I dont want to have to delete threads ect.
Thanks, Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok Bill sorry about that

Back