Identify broken serpentine accessory? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Identify broken serpentine accessory?

LVExp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 5.0 XLT
The other day my '96X started making a noise like a bearing in one of the accessories attached to the serpentine belt is going. I got under the hood to try and identify the culprit but i can only determine it is on the passanger side.

Is there any way to determine which accessory it is?

I have had no engine light or new problems since the noise started, but would like to get ahead of it. With the header leak and now this noise my truck sure "turns heads" :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take off the serpintine belt and then spin each pulley by hand. If the bearing is bad you should be able to see/hear/feel it..

~Mark

Take off the serpintine belt and then spin each pulley by hand. If the bearing is bad you should be able to see/hear/feel it..

~Mark

I guess the reason i hadn't already done that was because i'm not sure how.

How does one remove the serpintine belt?

Put a 3/8" ratchet in the tensioner and turn it whatever way loosens tension. I believe there is a pic on top of the header panel that shows you what to do.

The other day my '96X started making a noise like a bearing in one of the accessories attached to the serpentine belt is going. I got under the hood to try and identify the culprit but i can only determine it is on the passanger side.

Is there any way to determine which accessory it is?

I have had no engine light or new problems since the noise started, but would like to get ahead of it. With the header leak and now this noise my truck sure "turns heads" :)

I suggest you change both your idler and tensioner pulley, even if they check out. They tend fail on these trucks, you don't want to find out the hard way. They are not expensive and real easy to do at home.

Ha Ha, i just went trough this yesterday. Well it finally gave yesterday. My idler pulley froze up and broke the serpentine belt 40+ miles from my tools, with -0F temps we had to wait an hour before a ride showed up an it was like -6F by time we got the parts and worked on it (we=me+wife). I'm still cold! Good Times LOL

Back